on 28 November 1998
I've been dabbeling in sauces for a number of years in my home kitchen. In my considerable collection of cookbooks none attempt to teach a culinary subject with the thoroughness of this effort. The book assumes a general knowledge of cooking, such as what temperature to roast your chicken at, and focuses on the theory behind what your sauce should do. While the book contains many recipes, they are presented as illustrations of various types of classic sauces. The author encourages the reader to experiment and fine tune their sauce efforts by illustrating the classic techniques and recipes.
In all my years cooking and collecting cookbooks this is the first cookbook that I have read cover to cover. While you can simply peruse the recipes and use the book as a reference it really shines when read in its entirety. If one is really interested in French sauces and the theory and technique behind them, this book is all that will ever be needed on the subject. And if you're wondering what kind of sauce to make with those lamb chops tonight...
on 1 February 1998
If you only read one book on making sauces in your life, make it this one. Winner of the James Beard Foundation's "Cookbook of the Year" Award. Covers all the basic and advanced sauces, variations, in-depth information on how various ingredients add to or detract from the perfect sauce, as well as how to "fix" a sauce you've messed up.
on 27 December 2004
I bought this book for my Chef boyfriend who showed it to his headchef boss & they both said it was good! He now keeps it at his workplace and uses it for reference since it has all the sauces he could need.
Excellent content. The layout is really well thought out and easy to read & reminds you of a well kept personal recipe book..even I liked it before I wrapped it up for him! ;)
on 22 September 1998
This is a book to have on your shelf. I have been collecting catering books since I started out in catering college back in london, England. I got the first book of sauces that Peterson wrote, and when I see the new one (4th Edition) I had to have it. It's easy to follow, and helps the mind to flow with thoughts of great sauces. I love what I do, being a professional Chef, and would recomend this book to anybody.
on 24 February 1999
"Sauces" is a book for professionals and serious home chefs and is the first book I've seen that compares and contrasts both classical and modern sauce-making methods. The author emphasizes the importance of quality stocks in sauce-making and points out that a stock appropriate for older, roux-based techniques is often inappropriate for more modern, reduction techniques. This explains why the stocks formulated in, say, the French Culinary Institute's "Salute to Healthy Cooking" are so much more concentrated than those in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and other classic French cooking texts. Peterson also includes methods for pan-prepared (integral) sauces that offer the professional and home cook alike a rapid way to prepare an impressive array of fine foods.
on 24 March 2013
Excellent, arrived safe and sound. Thank you. Book is in great condition for my needs, which is my little kitchen library and resource section.
on 9 February 1998
First let me say that while this book is big, thick and heavy, it is VERY poorly organized if you are in a hurry. If you like to sit down and actually read a cookbook, then this book is a good source. If you need a quick reference for "something to throw on this piece of chicken" this book is not for you. It does a very good job of defining types of sauces, ingredients and so forth and the recipes are good ones. The book also seems to be quite complete in it's variety of recipes.
on 27 August 1998
The best-looking recipe shown in the photos is a roasted chicken. The only problem is I can't find the oven temperature anywhere. Also, the recipe was listed in the index on the wrong page. So my confidence is shaken although it is clear chef Patterson knows his stuff. Can someone clear this up?