Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 February 2002
There are a variety of Biochemistry books on the market, and Stryer and Voet are certainly the front runners. Stryer is a smaller volume with a less chemical focus, whereas the Voets often get very deep into their subject. So, if Biochemistry is something you have to do as part of a course, you're likely to find Stryer clearer and quicker to learn from: but if like me you love Biochem, you'll love Donald and Judith! It's a fantastic book, in my opinion the best, and certainly an argument settler. Let's hope for a new edition soon.
on 18 May 2002
I bought this book for my undergrad course in biochem and was overwhelmed that, while it is insanely thorough, it is also easy for even beginners to understand. Now that I'm in a chemistry grad program, I consult this book almost every day for background info on just about any major research topic or issue you could think of. Chapters on enzymology, protein structure/function/purification, and metabolism are especially well-written and easy to understand. I would recommend this book to anyone considering post-bacculaureate study in life science.
on 11 July 2004
This book turned out to be the most used textbook of my undergraduate career. I found it to be informative without being too dry! The diagrams are used to great effect and the chapter on protein folding is superb. This is a great buy for biochemists or undergraduates in chemistry who choose to study some biochem modules etc.
on 14 December 2001
At the beginning of my degree, we were told to buy either this or Biochemistry by Stryer.. we chose this one simply as it was slightly cheaper and had more pages! However, as we got to second and third years nobody uses Stryer and everyone uses this, and this book really has everything you need to know for your Biochemistry degree.. although I would recommend complementing it with a Molecular Biology textbook too!
on 20 February 2002
If you want to learn and know Biochemistry for real, this is the book. Everything, I mean everything, is explained with detail. From proteins to metabolic pathways and molecular genetics. The explanations provide insight into the experimental procedures used to gain knowledge about phenomena so you don't see things falling from the sky.
But this is a long and DETAILED book and if you're on the run, don't buy it. It will take your time.
In a word: Excellent!
on 20 November 2009
This is probably the most comprehensive biochemistry text book available. It covers pretty much everything you would need to know in the first and maybe second year of a biochemistry/chemistry degree. It also serves as useful reference for further study, and thus will be useful for many years into your career. I feel, however, that it may be too detailed for those who study biochemistry as a subsidiary subject, such as medical and veterinary students. Nonetheless, it is a very well executed textbook, and the reader will learn a great deal from it.
on 31 October 2009
Honestly can't recommend this book enough. Much better than that Stryer rubbish that's recommended to every student - more detailed but not overwhelming. It easily contains everything you need for the first two years (if not more), and after that provides an excellent base to work from.
on 28 November 2009
There is really not much to choose between when looking for biochemistry textbooks, but Voet and Voet is probably one of the best. Personally I find the level of detail very good and the hardback binding is a bonus: it makes the book brilliantly robust.
on 11 October 1999
Much easier to understand and more structured in approach. I am glad I bought this book as well as the standard text of Stryer which I found to be long winded and hard work. This is the kind of text you can just read for the hell of it. By far the best Biochem text you can get and I did straight Biochem degree.
on 21 August 2013
great value, youve recycled an old book, and a lot cheaper than a new one,that uses earths resourses to produce