on 8 February 2005
Some good ideas, broken down into categories, and well described. However the book seemed to focus more on "group" activities, and some had quite an American flavour to these. (Anyone who's seen Barney the dinosaur on television will get some idea).
I'd debate the word "games" in the title, as although some were games, there was far more focus on tasks and activities, and a bit too much chanting (the author obviously likes chanting) for my liking.
Probably better for nurserygroups and schools rather than parents with one or two children, although some of the ideas were still applicable to one-on-one scenarios.
Best to try and have a browse of it in a bookshop first if you can to see if the style and activities suit your situation.
on 26 September 2009
Unlike the previous review, I found this collection of games rather disappointing. The games in themsleves are OK (-ish!), but I had hoped for something relevant to my class of older primary-aged children. These games would be enjoyed by younger children in my opinion, but in many cases are a bit babyish for older children (in my opinion). I also found the distinctly American style rather irritating.

As I said, there are good games in here for younger children, but for older children there are better resources available. I'll be returning my copy of this book.
on 21 February 2010
Aimed more at younger children, but good ideas categorized into different chapters: my feelings, my senses etc. I bought it for use at school but there are lots of ideas for use at home.
on 25 June 2014
I'm pretty good at making up games but regularly buy resources for workhsops. I love books where the layout and set-up make the book easy to read and reference in a hurry so I did enjoy the layout of this book.

You will need to note however, that most of the content of this book is only useful for workshops where the people already know each other. If you are working with a group of children (or adults) that don't know each other there is nothing really valuable here in this book :(
on 25 October 2010
This was a very good book to use for the groups of children that I needed to take out of class for intervention support. The games were fun and easy to do. The only thing I noticed was that many of the games are suitable for large groups only and I sometimes supported children one to one and of only three or four. That aside I found this book an invaluable tool.
on 1 May 2013
I was in search of a book to get ideas for undertaking Confidence Coaching workshops for women, when I came across this book. While the games are obviously geared toward children, the ideas shared are useful more broadly. I have begun to use the content with my own kids, who love the games and ask to play repeatedly, whilst thinking of ways to adapt them to fit my original purpose. Just shows that ideas about building confidence and self esteem are timeless.
on 4 June 2015
Seems good content on paper, but not really had much opportunity to apply it to put it to the test
on 15 July 2015
I'm using the book in reception , adapting the activities !! Very useful and practical
on 2 October 2010
With Key Stage 1 exams fast approaching, we started to think of ways to help our daughter enjoy doing her one hour of studies a day, and then out of the blue, we came across this book, which has been a tremendous help to us.

We use this book to not only build her self-esteem, but also to work on her imagination, creativity and initiative. A useful book to integrate with more serious subjects like maths and English, which will motivate your child to not only do more work, yet to enjoy it too.
on 16 November 2014
Perfect for those studying child pyschology