5.0 out of 5 stars Well, *I* think it's a great book!
Published on 2 July 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars I should have read the reviews.
A helpful programming book can take one of two forms: a well structured reference or an insightful tutorial. This book is neither. The index lacks key entries, and the examples are taken from the man pages. I regret not getting other people's opinion on the book before I bought it.
Published on 29 Mar 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, *I* think it's a great book!, 2 July 1999
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
I don't understand all the negative reviews here. Perhaps they're expecting something else out of this book: intro to programming, or hello world or something. Yes, it's a fairly advanced book, but that's what I wanted in the first place! I am writing this review because I came to this page to buy another copy of this book: I keep wanting a copy at home for hacking on my Linux box!
Any basic tutorial can show you how to do basic if/then/else and loops and basic syntax rules. You need a book when you want to do something harder: mathematics, complicated scripts, etc. Best of all, it doesn't just cover Bourne and C shells: it also covers the Korn and Bourne Again shells (ksh & bash).
This is not one of those books that was hacked out in four weeks because Technology X just became hot and every book publisher on the planet is scrambling to spit out 1600-page shelf-benders. The authors have taken a lot of time to put together a truly useful book.
Books don't reach a fourth edition if they are so bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb 2000
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
I'm with Warren Young (see other reviews for this book). As someone who is not a programmer but is familiar with some computing concepts, I found this to be the only Unix reference book I have ever read which actually talks to me in English and genuinely helps me to step through concepts. I have borrowed the book from a friend and am just about to buy it for myself.
I'm not quite sure what its target audience is but thank God the authors are not trying to submerge me in technical babble from the start. It is a good book to read, to understand and to allow concepts to soak in with relatively little pain. Unlike the Unix man pages, which I often find quite unreadable, this book explains things at a level I can follow and builds up to more complex ideas at a comfortable pace.
I suspect it will not meet the needs of those who already have extensive Unix knowledge but for those of us who occupy that strange twilight world where we are not absolute beginners but are not knowledgable gurus either, I would recommend the book as extremely useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Bad Reviews, 10 Nov 2008
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
This book not only covers the fundamentals of shell programming, it's a master work on the basics of prototyping and code reuse. I started work as a programmer in the bad ol' 3 GL days and eventually ended up working in a .NET C# environment. Looking back on this uni text book, I'm still amazed at just how relevant its content still is to the OO world. Not to mention that as a Windoze dweller I'm still able to keep my hand sharp in the UNIX/LINUX mode simply by referring back to it. My staff all think I'm a wizard. This book and Howe's Data Analysis for Database Design have kept me employed for 18 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars No, it's not perfect, but..., 6 Mar 2003
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
I am an IT contractor with 14 years of experience. A few years ago I had an interview for a contract on the strength of the small exposure I had to UNIX Shell. I knew that to carry on paying the mortgage I was going to have to be pretty impressive in this area.
I already had the "Unix in a Nutshell" which is excellent, especially for understanding shells written by other people. However, I knew that I was going to need a framework of understanding if I was going to be able to knock a script together from scratch. I was also going to have to be able to read something that was presented in a very readable "start to finish" manner.
This book provided me with this basic understanding. Taking me from the description of the various flavours of Unix shell, through to the login process, regular expressions, pipes, redirection and then on to how the commands "work".
I will concede that there are some typos, and various features described that I have never found in any of the sites at which I've worked. But after a weekend of unremitting reading and taking notes, and rereading, this book got me a job and earned me money. That's the bottom line.
It is for experienced and capable IT professionals who have no broad understanding of the UNIX world. It will take you from a person with no UNIX credibility to someone who sounds like they've been doing it for a year or so. The commands and their options should be tackled with "UNIX in a Nutshell". With a book you can quickly flick from one page to another, cross referencing and sticking postits around the place - you can't do that with the man command.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for System and Database Administrators, 31 May 2002
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
As well as covering the basics of UNIX shell scripting, the book also provides a lot of good tips on using scripts for RAD development. The clowns who gave this book bad reviews have some personal axe to grind because I've found it invaluable in my day-2-day work as a UNIX based RDBMS DBA. It offers a really good exposition on regular expressions, far more lucid than in the (otherwise excellent) Nutshell books on Sed, AWK and Perl. In short, if you're new to UNIX shell scripting or if you've learnt a bit by reading other peoples scripts, this book will give you a really powerful weapon in you admin arsenal.

2.0 out of 5 stars I should have read the reviews., 29 Mar 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Just another vanilla Unix book, 3 Dec 1998
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
Someday, someone will write a good book on Unix scripting. This isn't the one. This one lacks solid examples, and does a very poor job explaining how to implement Unix scripts in the REAL world. The authors appear to have rummaged through the Unix man pages for most of the book's content, but fail to give the reader anything more than what the man pages provide. The lack of solid examples in this book leaves the reader with the impression that the authors do not really understand the subject, and are simply regurgitating the Unix man pages. For the few examples that do exist, there are far easier ways to solve the same problems with many fewer commands.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is pretty good!, 29 Sep 1997
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
This book does a wonderful job of instructing the reader how to program using Unix shells. It has a lot of detail and usage, and syntax for usage is mostly clarified. The only thing I found wrong with this book was that it needed a little more clarification for the beginnner. Perhaps just a section at the beginning. There was a section titled "Shell for the Novice", but it still was a little too advanced for the novice, in my opinion. Still, it's a good book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even waste time to look at the cover!, 21 May 1999
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
This is the WORST textbook I've ever seen. I had wasted lots of time to read it but learn nothing from it. I don't want to waste time to comment too much. Just to tell those of U who are reading this comment - don't buy it! Save money, save trees for another book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save a tree and don't buy this book., 25 Mar 1999
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) (Paperback)
This book is filled with confusion. The authors do not appear to fully understand Unix shell programming. It is not a good reference or a good tutorial. If you buy this book, you are wasting money, time, and trees.

Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science)
Unix Shell Programming (Computer Science) by Ted Burns (Paperback - 1 Aug 1997)
33.99