4.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry for a dummy
Right through my education, I avoided chemistry. I decided it was too academic and perhaps a bit irrelevant to my life. Now though, I need to pick up chemistry before returning to study medicine next year.
Published on 3 April 2003 by Ms A Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite what the reviews said
Great book if you are going to take exams, but for every day basics not good at all.
Published on 15 Mar 2010 by Mr. S. K. Webb

4.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry for a dummy, 3 April 2003
Ms A Jones (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry: A Self-teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides) (Paperback)
I bought this book and started working my way through the chapters - and I'm having a great time! This book is really good if you have little or no knowledge of chemistry as it takes you through the topics with little questions and tests as you go.
Incidentally, if you are studying chemistry and want to be inspired by the awe and wonder of the science, I suggest you pick up a copy of Oliver Sacks' "Uncle Tungsten", which is a wonderful boyhood story of his fascination with chemistry. I'm reading the book as I go through the chapters of the above chemistry book, and its great to have access to Sacks' explanations, experiments and history as I learn the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't imagine a better teaching guide for chemistry!, 2 Jun 1999
By A Customer
As a teacher myself (but one who knows nothing about chemistry), I must comment on this excellent book. It is clear, organized, and well-written. The authors have taken a difficult subject and made it understandable. I feel as though I am much better prepared for the college chemistry course I'll be taking in a few months - and I even think I will enjoy it! Thank you for this great little book!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 April 2004
By A Customer
in my first year in college I had to take a chemistry course, but I didn't do much for the whole year.
Needless to say when exam time came, i panicked until I found this book: it was a life saver.
I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 23 Mar 1998
By A Customer
I am going back to school in the fall to start Pre-med. I hadn't taken chemistry since high school (my previous B.S. was in the arts, not science!) so I figured I'd review the basics to give myself a head start on my classes. This book is even better than I expected. It doesn't only contain information to read, it also allows you to interact with the material, solving problems, answering questions, and working formulas. Because learning by actually doing is so effective, this book has taught me more than I would have thought possible. I now feel more prepared for my courses, and am looking for more books in this series to give me a similar boost with calculus and biology. I highly recommend it. It makes a challenging subject very clear and understandable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starting book, 6 April 2009
A. Chang - See all my reviews
This book is a brilliant starting point for a complete novice at chemistry. I bought this on the back of some of the other reviews and found that it has completely lived up to expectations. It is not an in depth book, however it does break down the concepts to make it easy to understand and retain.
Definitely recommended for anyone starting from scratch!

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite what the reviews said, 15 Mar 2010
Mr. S. K. Webb (Watford U.K) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! One of the best teaching books in print, 31 July 1997
By A Customer
This book is set up in a way that reinforces the concepts you have just learned. For those of us that are unable to see the trees through the forest, this book will not only show you the trees, but it gives you land marks to find your way around, back, and through. And amazingly enough, the forest is not such a scarry place after all. A great book for the first time chemistry student.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Aug 2010
The book is clearly written, but I found the fact that a self-test question followed every fact unhelpful, a little patronising and extremely annoying. I think it would have been better to explain the material in the whole chapter, and put the self test questions at the end, as it's difficult not to look at the answers which immediately follow the questions. Disappointing, and not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it promises, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
This book will just do what it promises: teach you the basics of chemistry. This is tailored so that even one who knows nothing about chemistry can learn (and even if he is a bit dumb!). Lately, the price is very low.

4.0 out of 5 stars chemistry, 10 Mar 2013
As a retired graduate electronics engineer, my chemistry knowledge has faded somewhat. When asked by my grandson, a budding scientific adolescent, questions about chemistry I found that I could answer his questions reasonably well. To assist me in this I decided to look for a suitable book for myself. I found it in this book by Clifford C Houk. An absorbing read as well as an excellent self-teaching aid. Highly recommended.

Chemistry: A Self-teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)
Chemistry: A Self-teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides) by Richard Post (Paperback - 4 April 1996)
11.99