5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
This is simply the most useful book on writing I have ever read. The ideas described in this book have helped me create real, believable characters that are clearer to me than my closest friends. I know what my characters will do in any given situation; This book has made them come to life.

The techniques presented in this book are simple, effective and...
Published on 1 April 2008 by M. Joannou

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistake
Published on 25 Jan 2010 by Carole Craig

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistake, 25 Jan 2010
Carole Craig "Gnome" (Dublin, 8, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors (Social Science) (Paperback)
I bought this book assuming it would adapt Stanislavsky's exercises, which are frequently pair and group based, for the writer --who is usually sitting in a room by his/herself. It doesn't do this. It starts out with advice on deepening 'character interviews' and then really moves on to how characters -- once nailed -- should be expressed on the page. It has some good points to make about this, but so do a good many other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 April 2008
M. Joannou - See all my reviews

The techniques presented in this book are simple, effective and brilliant. They're easy to follow, logical and above all will get you to discover the 'inner truth' of every character.

I cannot praise this book enough.

If you're stuck trying to get characters to do what you want, or worse yet, aren't sure what your characters want to do or how they'd behave, then please read this book - you will not be disappointed.

Out of the 50 or so writing books I have read, this book stands far above them all - It's simply the best.

11.99