5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking about Fedora
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Alan T. Lovegreen

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is DNS
Published on 15 April 2011 by ianp

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is DNS, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Fedora Bible 2011 Edition: Featuring Fedora Linux 14 (Paperback)
I have a previous Bible, Fedora 9 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux and ordered this new book as soon as it was avaiable. I looked for the chapter on DNS servers only to find it was not there. This is very disapointing as that was the reason for buying it. There was a full chapter on it in the last edition I owned. Also the font size has been reduced making it harder to read. It looks as if it has been done on the cheap. Altogether not what I was expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking about Fedora, 23 Nov 2011
Alan T. Lovegreen "GM4FLX" (Lochwinnoch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is some book. I bought it because my standby computer came loaded with Linpus as the operating system and Linpus is said to be based on Fedora 7. It is so good that I am tempted to buy another PC just to have Fedora. Over 800 pages packed with information. But do be aware that right through this book the writing encompasses information in Linux command language and that to fully benefit from the Bible you will need to really learn how to manipulate the commands. The book comes with two disks of Fedora 14 and you will need either a clean formatted system to begin or be upgrading from an earlier version of Fedora.

Alan Lovegreen

4.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of 'Bible' in the title?, 12 Sep 2011
Mr Fipple (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
People sometimes refer to the Bible as 'The Good Book'. Such people likely do so from a perspective of 'faith'. I do not write from a perspective of being one of the faithful but I do so from who, from limited familiarity, considers the Bible, in common with the other other great founding texts of the long established religions, to be party to content that is instructive, valid, and wise. I try to be as objective as I can in my reasons for thinking founding religious texts have great merit and value and I tray to be as pragmatic as I can in any promotion of any sense that these texts are great theses concerned with history and socio-political history that to my mind constitute the very beginnings of social science. Howsoever anybody regards the Bible or the fellow texts it is difficult to deny they are expansive and comprehensive in the scope of events, circumstance and topics that they cover. Stemming from such expansiveness, there is, I think, scope for misunderstanding, that can be (doesn't infer always is), reflected in the application and practice of religion.

Something that is apparent to me is that the Fedora Bible is and expansive and comprehensive volume that caters for the needs of the novice, the intermediate, and likely advanced users of the Fedora flavour and distribution of the Linux operating system. The Fedora Bible doesn't especially pander to the needs of novices and 'newbies' but it does contain content that is pertinent to their needs.I came to this release of Fedora (14) as someone who has installed and worked with Ubuntu in various guises since 8.04 and found it conducive to my requirements and productive needs. I have an Apress (R) volume dedicated to Ubuntu and cut my teeth reading that. I have run live cds of other distros and my view is that Fedora is now the way to go for me. I have a successful installation of Fedora 14 on one of my machines and I found migration simple enough without a companion book. Nonetheless I figured a book would be helpful and I now have this edition of the Fedora Bible.

What I've come to realise is that the authors have gone out of their way to be thorough and so the volume does contain the answers to many questions. They have gone out of their way to be clear so that the reader can be confident any given answer may apply to a clear and specific case. But so many cases are covered. In some ways how many cases and circumstances that need to be covered is a function of the needs of the reader - and the needs of the reader are commensurate with levels of prior familiarity and experience. the down side is that a novice may find that reading text given over to a case that may not apply to them may be a bit bewildering, BUT, if the reader comes to realise that covering several cases is a contingency given over to an ambition to be thorough, then it gets easier because the reader can filter in the case that applies to their needs and filter out cases that do not. The upside is that a novice could progress with experience and familiarity to 'intermediate' or 'advanced' status and not outgrow the book. There are ways in which the book is future-proofed from any advance in ability on the part of the user. Considerable time may pass before my level of experience advances to a level where I want to know answers to questions that are beyond the scope of this book. Along the way I just need to exercise a little care discerning which parts are most commensurate with the level of my familiarity and most applicable to my needs.

An aspect of the Fedora distribution is that the distribution will not compromise where the ethics of free (as in libre and not as in beer) so the distribution has no utilities that breach, nor even get close to breaching issues that arise from licensing or patents. As a result Fedora is short on codecs needed for the full multimedia experience connected with browsing video content, streaming video, or playing music and video from closer to home and off an hdd or optical drive. So many people who elect to install the utilities and codecs that can facilitate these functions and experience will want to know what to do. So far as I can tell the Fedora Bible goes to town on this, covers many eventualities and explains what to do. So far as I can tell content is reliable and so far as I can tell the use of the terminal is encouraged. Put the two together and the process of installing additional repositories, then downloading and installing additional software from within a terminal will contribute to a feeling of power and confidence in an initiated user. Go for it, Dude! Or, if you prefer, take the graphical (GUI) root if you prefer cos there's mention of that method too.

What my review boils down to, I guess, is that the content is sufficiently expansive and comprehensive to demand a tadge more patience and a bit more responsibility on the part of a novel reader than would something that dumbs-down a bit to cater for the less experienced user. There is no concession to dumbing down in this volume while every effort appears to have been made to clear and comprehensive. People (novices) who may but this volume may experience a trade off. They might just have to be objective enough to establish which answer pertains to their question, but as they advance they can expect to keep on finding answers to the questions they're likely to ask as the progress. Some people may simply remain 'confused'. There are grounds upon which the use of the term 'Bible' in the title is justified.

There are times when simply trusting what we're directed to believe or do can be an indication of convenience or sign of weakness, when just a little more willingness to truly understand things can be greatly liberating and empowering. That's part of the appeal of Linux operating systems over rival operating systems, don't ya think?

Fedora Bible 2011 Edition: Featuring Fedora Linux 14
Fedora Bible 2011 Edition: Featuring Fedora Linux 14 by Eric Foster-Johnson (Paperback - 8 April 2011)
28.96