4.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite there
This is the best book I have read about using WordPress for a website. It was the strength of the author's writing (and, I suppose, the house publishing style) which caused me to shell out on this one having tried and failed with two other titles including her previous book WordPress For Dummies

This title does a better but not perfect job about focusing on the...
Published on 23 Jun 2011 by gerryg

3.0 out of 5 stars You Too Can Learn To Code Like The Pros
Published 22 months ago by Marsha Coupe

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite there, 23 Jun 2011
gerryg - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: WordPress Web Design For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) (Paperback)

This title does a better but not perfect job about focusing on the task (I want to build a website...) and avoiding telling me all about WordPress. By reputation, it's the one to use. At risk of committing a heresy I really don't care about its functionality in the same way I don't care about the functionality of my office productivity suite.

The author's previous title was a guide for people relatively new to computers and targetted at using WordPress for its original purpose as a blog with a little bit about using it as a CMS for a website. I also have WordPress 24-Hour Trainer which I am sure is a very good book but doesn't meet my Wordpress newbie's needs. They're both very good at telling me about WordPress but the neither of them address the task in hand. As I get a bit more knowledgeable I can see they'll become more useful. But I don't want a linear guide to using the features of the tool.

It used to be the case (might still be) that when learning a new programming language you'd learn how to get "hello world" to print on your screen to encourage you e.g., in "C", you'd get a brief you'll need all this (which is actually quite a lot) with explanation to follow. Every C programme in the world requires everything you did to get "Hello World" on to the screen so while it doesn't do much it does get you started. Trust me, you'd give up if you started with the niceties of #

Obviously a CMS is a bit more complicated but at the start I want the instant gratification of having achieved something which encourages me to slog on with the rest of it. As with the pain of learning C I can laern the other stuff as I progress. It might not be efficient but it does enable progress.

I'm computer literate, I want a website and I'm using WordPress, where to start?

I know at some point that I'm going to need to think about colour schemes, fonts, layout, stuff but right now my understanding is that all this is configurable and solveable eventually. I'm not into delayed gratification and learning the equivalent of my Latin irregular verbs because, y'know, when I need them...

I've got my hosting and my domain name sorted out and this book is sufficiently task focused that it has got me started (at last) on a website powered by WordPress, configuration and polish to arrive afterwards. I wonder if then I'd prefer something equivalent to the Linux Cookbook

3.0 out of 5 stars You Too Can Learn To Code Like The Pros, 27 Sep 2012
I thought I'd done my homework before purchasing both WordPress Web Design for Dummies AND WordPress for Dummies. These are the first Dummies book I've ever purchased. They seemed like the best resources for learning how to build an original, professional looking CMS (content management system) website. And maybe they are. Maybe the problem is that you actually can't design and build a professional looking Wordpress website (not to be confused with the usual blog) unless you want to be a professional developer who knows how to code.

I read both books, cover-to-cover, as well as spending a lot of time exploring premium theme options online. I also looked at hundreds of websites made with WordPress, including the ones mentioned in Ms. Sabin-Wilson's book. In the end, I concluded that WordPress, beyond the blog, is much, much more complicated than most people can handle. This doesn't mean I have given up on my own project. I haven't. I have invested too much time in it to abandon ship now. This said, I don't feel the books are worth the time and money I've invested in them.

Sabin-Wilson takes so long to get to the point that whatever point she was trying to make gets lost in all the repetitive verbiage. This makes a ponderous subject even more ponderous.

The book tries to simplify something that can't be simplified because it's not that simple. To get what you want, an appealing, original, professional website, you probably have to learn how to write and edit code.

WebPress Web Design is most assuredly not for dummies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not dumb enough, 16 Sep 2011
I have used many 'dummies' books in the past and they've been fab. this one required too much understanding and I wasn't too far into the book before my brain stopped working,nothing made sense however many times I read it. If you are an IT geek, it will make sense, but to me that's is not why we buy dummies books. I am now going to pay someone to build me a website!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Dummies !, 27 Oct 2011
In the Introduction (which you can read on the "look inside" option) the author writes under Foolish Assumptions - that it is assumed that you already know how to use the software to publish posts create catagories and use the dashboard.

A bit late to tell you this after you have purchased it!!

This is for people who are already very literate in WebPress - not me

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Real DUMMY, 17 Mar 2013
What a waste of money. The only tech book I've bought online and the last.Only because it wasn't available in Newcastle upon Tyne in any of the three bookshops did I take this option.I have designed several websites using HTML and Publisher and by no means an expert in IT I'm not exactly a dummy, although I have SEO for Dummies,Web Pages for Dummies, Web Sites for Dummies, plus HTML4 this is by no means for the faint-hearted. And agreeing with another of the comments, what a cheek to tell you inside that you should purchase her Wordpress for Dummies before using this book. Why read a book on blogging before starting on web design. obviously I'm a real DUMMY.
Pamela

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for getting behind the software, 5 May 2013
Having read a short ebook on setting up a Wordpress website I found vit wasn't enough when either things didn't go to plan or I made mistakes. This book covered much of what I already knew but gave me the detail that I needed to go troubleshooting. Once things have settled down on my new site it will also help me develop it further.

5.0 out of 5 stars good if beginner or a little knowledge, 13 July 2011
i could've skipped the first few chapters, but reading through refreshes a little, it's not written in the boring way you get normally, when you already know something- and COLOUR!

WordPress Web Design For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
WordPress Web Design For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) by Lisa Sabin-Wilson (Paperback - 10 Jun 2011)
18.64