Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 August 2012
Rainmaking Conversations takes a refreshing approach to selling. In the midst of the many books that focus on influencing, sometimes coercing, people and businesses to buy from you, the focus of Rainmaking Conversations is to create a win-win situation for both the parties. The book teaches you to "think buying, not selling" while engaging in sales. What the book calls 'transactional sales,' i.e. thinking short-run rather than long-run, is considered to be highly ineffective in (almost) any situation.

I could say that I loved this book. It was well worth my time and I feel like I have learned a lot in the process of reading it. Some parts of the book, however, seem to be less relevant for (us) Europeans. I have been a salesperson for a number of years and have studied the theory extensively as part of my curriculum, and I feel like some of the prescribed approaches are rather "American." Although I am still in the process of finishing my degrees and although I am a salesperson that sells to consumers rather than high-level executives, I feel like some of the approaches might come across as a bit too pushy for people here in the Netherlands. I not so much have a specific example to illustrate my point, it are rather some of the processes that are a bit too much "in your face" compared to what I'm used to. As said, I have no experience selling to executives of big companies, and I might be wrong here.

Finally, I read in one of the other reviews that the authors try to sell their RAIN method too much in the book. There are many times where the website is mentioned for further information and where the authors share the many capabilities of their company, however, I would say that it is suitable to the context. This is a sales book on how to converse in a manner that sells yourself, and the application of these techniques over the course of the book only seems appropriate to me. The book shares a great wealth of knowledge and I did not find the selling of their techniques to be bothersome at all. I find this a highly interesting book and would recommend it to others.
on 17 August 2012
Sales, particularly in business-to-business (B2B) settings, depend on a sales rep's ability to generate a compelling conversation. Ace sales trainers Mike Schultz and John E. Doerr clearly and simply explain the methods and practices of sales conversations. getAbstract recommends their knowledgeable guidance to salespeople, sales managers and sales trainers - and to professional buyers who want to understand the sales techniques that others try to use on them.