Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2012
I bought this book because I had been asked to create some business reporting. Comparing numerous books this seemed to provide a comprehensive overview of statistical reporting but was also very reasonable to read and absorb.

As I don't have a background in statistics at all it was useful to start from the very basics and this book does that. From looking at common misconceptions in statistics often reported in the news and analysing other erroneous use of statistical data this book helped me to build the confidence I needed to produce the reporting I was asked for and be confident that it could be relied upon. This book was so useful for me that I have also bought statistics II for dummies which I look forward to reading.
on 13 May 2012
After having a pretty terrible statistics teacher this year, I decided to buy this so that I could actually learn something. It's helped me learn the topics for my Statistics A-level exam, and I've found it much more interesting than the teacher!
on 17 August 2013
I needed to re-acquaint myself with statistics. Other "Dummies" books that I have bought have always delivered good information in a plain and non-patronising manner: this is no exception. Buy with confidence that you will be informed and enlightened. 10/10
on 25 June 2015
The author is the eponymous character of the title - she is the dummy. Whilst the explanations are passable for descriptive statistics, they are awful when it come to inferential statistics. The really fantastic thing about statistics is that most complex notions can be rendered into words (worded problems); however, the author is unable to do this. Her treatment of formulae is particularly lacking. What this book provides are the key big ideas needed to be learnt and these can be found, obviously, on the contents pages. You need look no further than this. One would be better advised to search for information on YouTube.
on 31 January 2015
Ideally I'd like to give this book 4.5. It's well written and laid out clearly. It gives a good introduction to statistics. The only down point is, if you're not taking an exam, it does get a bit repetitive in places. You wonder if one of the compendium books in this series could be merged with this book but I guess the author has to feed themselves?
on 1 September 2013
This is great for anyone doing a course in statistics, including first year university courses. Worth the money you spend on it
on 12 December 2015
Yes I'm still a dummy having read the book. You need true grit to read though it but it does introduce the basic concepts in an accessible way
on 28 November 2013
I enjoyed the simplicity, efficacy and brevity.
I didn't like the lack of solved exercices and exercises to do with answer.
on 29 April 2013
A survey of 5 people indicated that 93% of all readers would enjoy this book. And that is a statistic.
on 28 December 2012
I needed a book on statistics to teach me the basics as I have struggled in the past. This is just the job.