4.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies
It surprised me how similar this was to the Dummies book for Elements 4 that I recently discarded. A very useful book that covers the new addtions. The one item that stops me giving 5 stars is the lack of a large diagram showing all the Tools. The icons are small on screen and small in the book making it difficult to work out what the tools are. Otherwise a useful book.
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by Mr. Michael Penn

2.0 out of 5 stars Dummies Photoshop Elements 9
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Roy Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies, 7 Dec 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Dummies Photoshop Elements 9, 29 Jun 2011
Roy Evans "Roypie" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
Very disapointing.The writer assumed that from the start they were to explain the complex details, summed up by them "before you start editing images you must read and understand the chapter". No I am sorry but most people want the gradually buid up their experience, not understand the complexities ofa very compex programme. What is realy required is some useful short introductory excersises, i.e. how to remove an item from a photo, how to add text and when you have mastered that then you can gradually take you up the areas of layering etc. The book keeps refering you to other sections in the book and saying we will cover that later. By the time you get there you have forgotten what they are on about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for dummies or newbies, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
Not for dummies or newbies

A little background. Three years ago I bought my first digital SLR. I had an early version of Paintshop Pro and I used that to edit my jpegs (mainly removing unwanted items in the picture, as it couldn't do much else) - prints I made were rubbish. So I bought and installed Photoshop Elements 7 (PSE7). Excitedly I sat down to start work on an image I'd dragged into the editor. I looked around at all the menus and toolbars and thought "What on earth do I do now?" It gradually dawned that I had no idea where to start, absolutely no idea. Looking at the Help suggested to me that things could be done using Elements but, with my level of ignorance, I still had no idea where to begin. At first I was angry: I mean it said on the box how easy to use it was and that anyone could start making wonderful images in minutes! No way. Calming down, I realised that there was more to this photo editing lark than I'd imagined, a lot more. What I needed was a good book... So on to Amazon, doing a search for good beginner's books. I read the reviews and descriptions and eventually chose to buy the 'PSE7 Classroom in a Book' (CIB). As this review is intended for beginners like what I was, I'm not going to baffle my audience with detailed descriptions, but what happened was that straight away I was using Elements, and subsequently I worked my way through the lessons in CIB and in a few weeks I was doing some pretty good post-processing of my images. To explain without using jargon: I could organise my photos into albums, and I could improve them so that they looked pretty good on screen AND when printed. A major achievement.

But I knew there was more could be done. So, in short, after a time I bought the Scott Kelby book and the Philip Andrews book. And after studying those and using their advanced techniques, now I'm getting somewhere near proficient.

Then a month or two back I bought a hi-def camcorder, my old PC can't cope, so reluctantly I replace my 2003 PC with a new Windows 7 PC. AIUI Elements 7 and Windows 7 don't get on and as Elements 9 is available for 40 with the new PC, I bite and buy Elements 9. Again a detailed description of the improvements of PSE9 over PSE7 is outside the scope of this review, but it was a worthy upgrade. I find I can, if I wish, use PSE9 much the same as I used PSE7 but reading forums and reviews it seemed there are new tools available in PSE9 that I didn't know the full details of. So I began research on books for Elements 9. I didn't want to buy updates of Scott Kelby or Philip Andrews as I can still use their PSE7 books and the latest editions will be 90% the same. After reading reviews and inside looks, eventually I settled on buying this Dummies book plus the Mark Galer book.

The reason why I bought this Dummies book is that it looked like a very good REFERENCE BOOK for the INTERMEDIATE or advanced Elements user. And I think it is just that. But as a book for beginners like myself three years ago? I definitely have reservations about that. (Incidentally the Galer book has mixed reviews. I think this is because it didn't meet the expectations of some purchasers - but I'm very pleased with it.) The same could easily apply with this Dummies book. If you are an absolute beginner it may well not meet your needs and expectations, as explained by Roy Evans in his review. In my case as a beginner, getting down to it by working on a guided lesson with simple instructions was just the jobby, and then building up my expertise through further lessons. So, although I don't have a copy of Classroom in a Book for PSE9, I'd definitely recommend a beginner to check it out first as, if it's as good as CIB for PSE7, it should be very helpful.

CONCLUSION

I gave Dummies a five star rating. This is because I consider it a good reference book for the experienced PSE user. However, if I was rating it as a suitable book for a beginner, I might give it two stars, not because it is bad but because it probably wouldn't meet the requirements of someone getting to grips with Elements for the first time. If you are a beginner and you've bought this book and find it a huge disappointment, I'd hang on to it until you're a bit more experienced and then you should find it a useful reference manual.

2.0 out of 5 stars Elements9, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
A lot of words not enough step by step; not enough clear illustrations.
This is a fairly steep learning curve and this book, to me, isn't clear enough
or helpful enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dummies Photoshop 9, 14 May 2011
ellis_mercer (Lancashire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
I have always found the Dummies series extremely helpful to a beginner using a new programme. This format suits and helps me again in my first encounter with Adobe Photoshop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Software Support, 3 Feb 2011
P. May "Fleur" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
This is a well set out book which gives a new perspective on digital photography.
You learn something new on every page. A must for beginners in editing digital photos.
Well worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for beginners, 24 Dec 2010
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
Up to the usual Dummies Guide standards, my only complaint would be the title. These guides are good tutorial and an excellent reference works. You dont have to be a dummy or a beginner to use one. Lots of useful information.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for the beginner, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this when I purchased photoshop 9. I had tried Photoshop 9 as a trial and I knew it would do want I wanted but I couldnt figue out how, thanks to this book I have managed to accomplish the results I wanted with my photo editing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dummie on Dummies, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
Very daunting when you open up but as long as you don't panic I have found it very
informative. I think you have to use Photoshop regularly because there is so much to remember and having the book handy gives you confidence. The best way I have found to use it is to practice one operation at a time until you know it well. I would recommend this book to anyone starting out with Photoshop but be patient!!!!!!!Photoshop Elements 9 for DummiesPhotoshop Elements 9 for Dummies

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the "Dummies" range and this title is just as good. They are easy to work with either for ..., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies (Paperback)
I have bought other books from the "Dummies" range and this title is just as good. They are easy to work with either for reference or to read through from one end to the other.

Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies
Photoshop Elements 9 for Dummies by Ted Padova (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
17.86