on 2 November 2012
Got this with the intention of learning more of what DSLR models and which equipment would be best for my needs. Pretty much got that and more! The chapters are very detailed covering not just the technical aspects of shooting, but logistical and legal issues as well.

It covers aspects of kit lists, differences between recording/camera formats, what you can with what budget, dealing with stages of production, how to deal with common shooting/editing issues with DSLR'S, such as moire and rolling shutter. It really does have it all.

Its a book tailored for proffesionals, but is not to hard an amateur, to figure out in all honesty. There is a bit a jargon in there, but its all usefull stuff, and will sink in due to how its been written. It can get technical, especially concerning the post production side and trouble shooting. But I see it as a very useful learning curve, as its all relevant to what is trying to be achieved.

The only complaint I have is that a lot of the information is related to those who primarily operate in the U.S. It is more tailored for those who live and work with more resources than we have here in the UK, and lists options which I've personally never seen here, certainly not outside of London. Never the less, this is a fantastic book, with a lot pleasant surprises. It really does cover EVERY aspect of making a film let alone making one on a DSLR. Well worth the purchase.
on 25 January 2012
I normally have to be dragged kicking and screaming to write reviews but this book changes all that. Quite simply, it's wonderful - very detailed, full of hard-wrought experience. Not trying to impress or insist on a 'right way' but just conversing with fellow shooters, this covers everything from gear, focus, in-camera pre-sets, sound, lighting, workflow, the edit, colour process, even rigging cars. Much like having a beer with Philip Bloom (I imagine), you learn so much in a very conversational and grounded way. It's also overflowing with photos and examples. Normally I rip through such books still feeling 'hungry' at the end, gimme more. However, I think this one will keep me satiated and enthused to take more risks with DSLR for quite some time. Bravo to Barry Andersson and Janie Geyen. First class, no, make that 'essential'.
on 3 January 2013
This book is full of ideas, techniques, technical details etc. It covers just about anything you could want to know to improve and develop your film making and for the price of a couple of decent magazines.
on 7 June 2013
I have learnt a lot from this book and still learning. Well worth buying this book although some things are a bit irrelevant to those of us on a tight filming budget.
on 27 March 2014
This book is good if you are looking into film/video work, but this book seems to be aimed predominantly at people who were previously working with film equipment at a professional/intermediate level so it feels like beginners of dslr film shooting are not who they are talking to. Having said that it still can teach you useful things about film whoever you are. It is slightly outdated which you can tell once you read the book, none the less I liked the book and does contain helpful tools for film making.
on 13 January 2015
You should definitely have this book if you love video editing, even if you are not professional.
It contains many interesting details and info.
It actually is very cheap for the kind of book.
I am very happy with this book -although I have not finished it yet.
on 20 December 2013
As a beginner I read this substantial book cover to cover within a week and refer to it a lot. A really well written reference book that also enthuses the reader. Recommended.
on 17 May 2013
Delivered quickly and had all the info I need as a beginner in film making and went well with my other purchases on film making
on 3 March 2013
I wasn't expecting an awful lot, I'll be honest but this book is amazing - I describe it as having a mentor who knows the answers to all your questions, then shows you how to do it and tells you what equipment you should consider.

It's well written, easy to read and split up into sensible chapters.

My advice don't buy it if your on a tight budget - You'll end up spending a fortune on new stuff!