4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book, 6 Sep 2011
Mr. Richard G. Chambers "Dick Chambers" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Power Markets and Economics: Energy Costs, Trading, Emissions: Structure, Costs, Operation (Hardcover)
This is a partial review, based on my reading of Chapters 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 only. These were the chapters relevant to my work, and I have not read further than that. I await with interest a full review from somebody who has read the whole book.

In general, I liked what I have read. Dr Murray writes in plain English, and explains difficult technical details in a way that the intelligent reader can easily understand. He displays a full and comprehensive understanding of his subject, and he imparts it well.

This field is overladen with the excessive use of abbreviations and acronyms, so numerous that the subject can become incomprehensible in the hands of an unsympathetic writer. Dr Murray has been sparing with the use of these abbreviations, and has included a glossary for the abbreviations he has used. His book has benefited from this care.

I also liked the Appendix, which usefully provides conversions between the various units of energy, such as MBTu, TJ, GWh etc.

Just a couple of things I did not like. A small number of the diagrams are difficult to interpret because graphs have multiple traces which are ambiguously annotated. The worst example was Figure 2.2, which completely baffled me. Another quibble is that he occasionally uses the word "bid" when he means "tender" or "offer", and "offer" when he means "bid". For these reasons, I have reduced the rating of the book from the 5 stars it really deserves, down to 4.

I recommend the book to colleagues in this field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manual on power markets, 12 Jun 2013
This is a comprehensive massive work on power markets starting from generation of power, distribution network and trading. It is fascinating how much is going on behind that socket in our house. Barrie leaves no stone unturned.