4.0 out of 5 stars great book with lots of information
Published on 2 Sep 2011 by Mr. Richard The book boy

2.0 out of 5 stars Better books than this for Linux Beginners!
Published 12 months ago by Aldebaran

4.0 out of 5 stars great book with lots of information, 2 Sep 2011
Mr. Richard The book boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I have really got into Linux recently and this book has everything you need to get it downloaded, up and running and take advantage of the various software for Linux. My only problem is that it is a big book with many pages (620) and the layout is not always logical depending on what you are looking for. It's all there but sometimes items are dificult to find and many items have many links in the index, this can be a blessing or a pain. I have never been a fan of the origial dummies layouts, newer books now have colour and better graphics. I do own a few of them and reference them quite often (Photoshop and Dreamweaver titles) so I knew what I was getting. The book is written by Emmett Dulaney from Anderson University in Indiana.

There is a great deal of information in this book. It's easy to work with around but it can be hard work sometimes. However, in its defence all you ever want to know is there with examples and tips. Maybe try a smaller intoductory book first if you are new to Linux before buying this one. I have found it very useful overall espechially the networking part. I think the book tries to do too much in one volume and the long winded explanations can be tedious (16/07/12 now with hind sight they do help with the very technical stuff like secutrity issues) but stick with it and it will get you there.

After 6 months using the book - update 16/07/12

It's saved my system from problems many times. I now use it as a reference book when I need to find something out, so far it has always had the answers so I have upped my star rating to 4 stars. The index is brilliant and cross references the many sections in the book. I still think the layout could be improved but that's my own opinion after growing up with UNIX books.
Many students use this book and it does the job for Linux parts of their courses, I have employed some of them and they say 'I used that book for my Linux training' so I don't feel such a dummey after all. Being a thick book after much use the pages are starting to come loose now but the book has done its job and I feel confident dealing with any Linux problem now.

My businesses Linux server has never failed since we introduced it thanks mainly to this book. I do have a system administrator working for me but I like to know what's going on and I like to use all the software to keep up to speed with everything as I get older, it's getting harder but I still enjoy a technical challenge whether it comes from the Mac's, PC or Linux systems we have in our design comapny !!

2.0 out of 5 stars Better books than this for Linux Beginners!, 22 July 2013
Aldebaran (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I found this book hard going. There was very little mention about installing Linux on a second hard drive and dual booting which apparently is a good way to start (No mucking about with disc partitioning) - at least you have your Windows or Mac system to fall back on. A lot of the software (Distros) on the supplied would not work on my Asrock socket 'A' Mobo, in spite of what Mr Dulaney says in the book, the one that did work to some extent was 'OpenSuSE' 11.2 but apparently this version is now out of date. Where are the ISO's on the DVD My CD/DVD burning software cannot find any although I have burnt similar from the Net.
Mr Dulaney goes on far too much about the Command line rather than the Graphics Desktop which is more familiar to Linux Newbies.
If you are an absolutely novice then a better book would be in my opinion Mike McGrath's "Linux in Easy Steps" and available from Amazon at the bargain price of 8.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought as a gift for my brother who was very pleased with having one book instead of several smaller versions

5.0 out of 5 stars Bite size learning, 4 Jun 2014
Mrs. T. Salkin "TracyS" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I have problems with book learning, and "For Dummies" range really helps. This is no exception, great book, and you don't have to start at the beginning, you can pick up right in the middle.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Just what I wanted', 13 Sep 2013
Mr. P. J. S. Morrison "scotspete" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
For a used book it was in excellent condition. A very comprehensive book, actually three books in one, the CD was also included. Just what I wanted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Very good book, great for beginners it explains Linux clearly and it is easy to follow. I would recommend this book as an introduction to Linux or for someone who just wants to know more about this o/s.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good start up guide, 21 Mar 2012
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Although I am not new to Linux and I wanted something that jumps into the more advanced parts of the operating system I was quiet surprised about certain simple things I had missed before which were in the first part of the book, it starts off with simple things but eventually dives into some of the heavier stuff like programming. Its definitely a book I would recommend. The page layouts may be a little annoying but nothing is perfect. It also comes with a CD containing 5 Linux distributions to install including Ubuntu so I'd say its a book for people who are sick of Windows full stop. Once I have finished reading I will make everyone I know read it and use the installation CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Linux for Dummies makes great intro to Linux, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I do not own thing book but I spent about an hour with it in a bookstore. It is what it claims to be: a book for dummy. If someone expects that one book (much less book for dummies) can enlighten every subject on Linux, this person is bound to be disappointed.
This book offers simple explanations and initial guidance on most basic subjects. And for this it is well-written, easy to read, engaging and fan to follow book. It is nether a comprehensive Linux reference, nor a training guide. It is easy reading introduction to Linux. If you need training, I can recommend exceptional Learn Linux Complete for a Beginner Video Training and Four Certification Exams Bundle, Fedora Edition. 8-disk DVD Set, Ed.2011
I was using it myself, and you can read my review on it there. However if you want satisfying your general interest to Linux, without dedicating too much time to it, this is the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - will really improve the quality of my support for The Consumer Action Group, 23 Jun 2012
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I received this book as a wedding present. I have to let you know how much I appreciate it and how much it will help me produce a professional level of support as Webmaster for the Consumer Action Group.
Thoroughly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Linux Dums, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Chose 3* because it reads a bit too complicated for me . . I like nice colour photo descriptions. Might be OK for nerds but not for me.

Linux All-in-One For Dummies
Linux All-in-One For Dummies by Emmett Dulaney (Paperback - 10 Sep 2010)
22.39