5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide to TEFL
Published on 15 May 2010 by K. Downton

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover.
Full of useful tips. If it also had photocopiable masters it would be a god send of a book. Thanks.
Published 18 months ago by KerryAB

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide to TEFL, 15 May 2010
K. Downton "novice teacher" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teaching English as a Foreign Language for Dummies (Paperback)
I just finished doing my TESOL course and found this book invaluable in surviving it, and passing. The section on lesson planning was particularly useful for successfully tackling teaching practice, and I plan to continue using it to do the same thing in the 'real world'. I was also able to get in contact with the author, and she gave me some solid and practical ideas for my lessons and successful application of teaching methodology. So I would strongly recommend this book, my experience proved that the author really does know what she's talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 20 Dec 2010
This book is written in fairly simple lexis - a real plus for me as I needed to ingest all the prerequisites for an English teacher! I bought this book as I just had a call from an au pair wishing to learn English as my Dad had put my name forward! So, I thought on my feet, ordered the book, read through it - and voila! I loved it and really related to the information and tips given. Michelle Maxom uses relevant examples, clever hints and tips, gives the would-be teacher exactly what they need to construct a lesson for all levels of learners. This book is an absolute must - buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful reference guide, 17 Aug 2011
Maurice Treacy "MXT" (Dublin Ireland) - See all my reviews
Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) for Dummies is an excellent reference book and is also very useful for revision work. I have used it to help me prepare for lessons and will do so again in the future. I would recommend it to any teacher or budding teacher of english language as it is concise and clear and good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to teach English as a foreign language., 2 Dec 2009
This book offers help on how to plan lessons and gives hints and tips, like to simplify your language and use gestures/body language to communicated more easily, and to limit your talking time to a maximum of 30% of the lesson and play games to get the students working and using there newly acquired skills. The back of the book has a list of countries and the requirements you must need (e.g. visas and qualifications) to teach in each country. Very informative and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good place to start, 15 Dec 2011
If you are planning to study TEFL or a related subject this book is a good place to start. There are so many books on the subject but most of them focus on specific areas such as lesson planning, grammar or the mechanics of teaching individual skills (reading, writing etc). Once you get into teaching or teaching practice you will likely need those books, but for a beginner this was the best I found to give a broad overview without skimping on useful detail. It's exhaustive and has something to say about pretty much every angle you care to think of, with handy practical advice. It's accessible to the reader and eases you along with a nice tone, avoiding the jargon until you're ready for it and presenting information in simple, bite-sized terms with an easy-to-follow format.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Guide to TEFL, 20 Jan 2011
If you are considering a TEFL course, or you have enrolled to participate on the TEFL Training Introduction Course, this is a "must" for recommended reading and future reference. An essential TEFL tool and a worth will purchase. In my opinion, Michelle Maxom has produced the Bible of TEFL, and an easy, fun, user friendly read. I have recently achieved the TEFL Training Introduction Course, which was presented and managed by Michelle. The weekend was packed with information and provided hands on learning, by means of open and closed pair work, a variety of icebreakers to build group rapport, incorporate TEFL learning and provide ideas which can be utilised in the classroom. An abundant weekend of learning, improving and fun was experienced by all students. Michelle has an extremely professional approach to her teachings. Her friendly, approachable and humours characteristics mixed with her professional manner certainly put me at ease. She encouraged me at the beginning, throughout and after the completion of the course.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover., 16 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for (wannabe) tefl teachers, 10 Feb 2012
What I have read of in book is in depth and correct (according to my other resources and course) I think this is a must have if you are doing or have done a TEFL course because it reinforces what you have learnt or are learning.

I am doing an online TEFL course and I bought the book because of it's great reviews. I do not and never will regret investing in this book. It pretty much tells you all you need to know in order to pass a TEFL course and on your way to teaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Jun 2012
This is an extremely useful book for anyone embarking on a career of teaching English as a foreign language. It is full of handy tips on how to plan and manage lessons and contains a very helpful section on what students at various levels (i.e. beginner, pre-intermediate, intermediate) should know.

5.0 out of 5 stars My TEFL Bible!!!, 24 Oct 2011
This book is a perfect guide for people looking to go into ESL teaching like me, or probably even for teachers who just want a useful reference book. The book is fairly comprehensive. It gives honest information about what to expect in terms of the qualifications needed, living standards and average salary in various countries. It also gives you an understanding of basic classroom management, English grammar, lesson planning, where to get resources and grading student work. This book is easy enough and interesting enough that you could read it cover-to-cover if you feel like it or simply use it as a reference book.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language for Dummies
Teaching English as a Foreign Language for Dummies by Michelle Maxom (Paperback - 14 Aug 2009)
11.89