Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 June 2008
"Winning on Betfair" - I stupidly thought that the title would be apt and expected to learn advanced techniques to trading and arbitration, instead i am given a synopsis of these forms of betting.

I got through the book in less than an hour feeling totally disappointed. The majority of the book I was able to skip, since basically for half the book it showed you how to setup an account, log on and deposit money into betfair.

From the product description

"offers tips and insider know'how that both newcomers seasoned Betfair punters can use to maximise returns."

Give me a break please.

If you have used betfair for more than two minutes don't buy this book. However if you have never seen betfair and wish to learn how to create an account, deposit money and back a horse then this book is great for you, however surely a simle phonecall to cust services would sort that out for you.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2006
If the book was just entitled Betfair for Dummies, that would have been OK. However, suggesting that it will provide you with winning techniques, is misleading. The book suggests that "Trading" is a low-risk, method of gambling, which may be employed many times a day, in order to accumulate a healthy profit. Unfortunately, this method depends solely on your ability to predict changes in the betting market. Although the book provides examples of how to go about predicting changes, these examples are at best idealistic and hand-picked. In my experience, following the instructions in the book, my predictions are wrong as often as they are right. My net profit, therefore, is nothing.

If it is such a low-risk, guaranteed method of making money, then why aren't more people doing it?
on 9 July 2006
I agree with the other reviewers on the value of this book for beginners. But be warned, it is in the small Dummies format. Explanations are brief. Illustrations of screens are really too small to be helpful. I would have preferred the larger format with larger pictures, more in-depth explanations and more material on the subject. It's just too small and brief.
on 1 April 2006
If you have even a passing interest in Betfair then this is the book for you! It won't tell a seasoned Betting Exchange pro much that they didn't already know but as an introductory guide to the opportunities available on the betting website it is invaluable.

Whilst the first half of the book tells the reader little that they cannot pick up for free in the help files of the Betfair website the second half is another matter. Indeed, from a seasoned Betfair trader's point of view the real meat in this book is contained in the final two sections through which the author, Jack Houghton, steers the reader through the wealth of opportunites available to anyone interested in making a full time living from the website.

'Winning on BetFair' is a good book - a little short perhaps, but nevertheless I'd recommend it, if only for its great anecdotal stories, hints/tips and the section 'Diary of a Pro Punter' which outlines the typical daily routine of a professional trader.

There is a lot more to Betfair than simply backing and laying horse or football teams and this book acts as a good taster to its wealth of content and gambling opportunity.
on 25 April 2012
I actually enjoyed this book..

BUT.. it's more of a nice 'children's beginners book' on Betfair and betting..

It's easy to read, and I did pick up a few bits and pieces that will help me for Betfair.. but it was very light reading.

Don't expect to make money from betting using this book. It will just paint a pretty picture about history of Betfair and some interesting bets people have made, and some insights on how professionals make money.

Worth a read, I read it in about 3 hours (I'm a slow reader).. but I paid £7.99 and it was a waste of £7.99..

If you are a beginner to Betfair, then buy a 2nd hand copy for £2.50, sit on a beach and read this in a few hours one afternoon, keep it a week or two just to look up some references and try a couple of things out, then dump it in your charity shop and find some other books to expand your betting knowledge..
on 26 February 2014
I bought this book to two of my friends who always used to ask me how to place a bet on Betfair. My hope was that they would get a good introduction to the Betfair site by reading the bookand that their frequency of questions would somewhat ease of. However, whereas the "Winning on Betfair for dummies" gives an excellent idea as to how to get started, it must be said that you are still 'a bit on your own when you have read the book and need to get started'. I have read the entire book twice although I am what people would refer to as an experienced Betfairian. Still I could use some of the 'reminders' in the book. But basically, this is a (good) starter kit to anyone wondering about the differences between "Betfair" and any 'normal' bookmaker. Is it worth the money? Yes.
on 16 February 2015
This book provides plenty of basic information about the UK's most popular betting exchange, and covers how to set up accounts, what equipment you need, how to place bets etc very well.

However, for anyone who has actually used Betfair, and wants to increase their winnings, this book doesn't really contain much in the way of useful information in 'winning' on Betfair.

A much more honest title would have been 'An introduction to Betfair for dummies'. If you have never used Betfair, and want a leg up this is the book for you. If you know how to back and lay, you don't need this book.
on 20 April 2006
Betfair had been recommended to me by a friend many times before but I'd never plucked up the courage to sit down and work out what was going on! Whilst I knew about "backing" a selection from my days in the smokey Ladbrokes shop in Dover, this book has shed so much light on "laying" and even "trading" to make a guaranteed profit whatever the result of an event!

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in gambling and sport and wants an introduction to one of the most innovative of websites! And there's plenty of anecdotes of losers as well as winners so that you don't start thinking you're unbeatable.

Above all, its a good read. Cheers Betfair.
on 22 November 2011
Possibly the worst book I've ever read; my four year-old-son can write with more fluency than this seemingly literary nobody. For a start, the title is unnecessarily misleading and has shockingly little relevance to the content of the book. I haven't made much money yet, Jack!!

It's totally pathetic the scandal that entails this piece of writing, it's evidently just a ploy to increase Betfair revenues and membersip ratings.

I've never wasted so much of my life on what can only be described as a disgustingly amateur prose. Maybe I should write a book; ah yes, what can idea! I'll call it ''Dancing with the chicken'' and then talk about why eating fudge turns your skin green!

Don't read this book.
on 18 January 2013
It would be better for someone with less experience on Betfair than I have.
It came across as really friendly and readable, but I don't think I found out any more than one or two things that I didn't know already.