4.0 out of 5 stars Good LITTLE book
I agree with the other reviewers on the value of this book for beginners. But be warned, it is in the small Dummies format. Explanations are brief. Illustrations of screens are really too small to be helpful. I would have preferred the larger format with larger pictures, more in-depth explanations and more material on the subject. It's just too small and brief.
Published on 9 July 2006 by RCR

1.0 out of 5 stars The title sucked me in!
"Winning on Betfair" - I stupidly thought that the title would be apt and expected to learn advanced techniques to trading and arbitration, instead i am given a synopsis of these forms of betting.

Published on 27 Jun 2008 by James Robinson

1.0 out of 5 stars The title sucked me in!, 27 Jun 2008
James Robinson (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winning on Betfair For Dummies (Paperback)

I got through the book in less than an hour feeling totally disappointed. The majority of the book I was able to skip, since basically for half the book it showed you how to setup an account, log on and deposit money into betfair.

From the product description

"offers tips and insider know'how that both newcomers seasoned Betfair punters can use to maximise returns."

Give me a break please.

If you have used betfair for more than two minutes don't buy this book. However if you have never seen betfair and wish to learn how to create an account, deposit money and back a horse then this book is great for you, however surely a simle phonecall to cust services would sort that out for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 26 July 2006
hedge (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
If the book was just entitled Betfair for Dummies, that would have been OK. However, suggesting that it will provide you with winning techniques, is misleading. The book suggests that "Trading" is a low-risk, method of gambling, which may be employed many times a day, in order to accumulate a healthy profit. Unfortunately, this method depends solely on your ability to predict changes in the betting market. Although the book provides examples of how to go about predicting changes, these examples are at best idealistic and hand-picked. In my experience, following the instructions in the book, my predictions are wrong as often as they are right. My net profit, therefore, is nothing.

If it is such a low-risk, guaranteed method of making money, then why aren't more people doing it?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good LITTLE book, 9 July 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Betting on Betfair, 1 April 2006
By A Customer
If you have even a passing interest in Betfair then this is the book for you! It won't tell a seasoned Betting Exchange pro much that they didn't already know but as an introductory guide to the opportunities available on the betting website it is invaluable.

Whilst the first half of the book tells the reader little that they cannot pick up for free in the help files of the Betfair website the second half is another matter. Indeed, from a seasoned Betfair trader's point of view the real meat in this book is contained in the final two sections through which the author, Jack Houghton, steers the reader through the wealth of opportunites available to anyone interested in making a full time living from the website.

'Winning on BetFair' is a good book - a little short perhaps, but nevertheless I'd recommend it, if only for its great anecdotal stories, hints/tips and the section 'Diary of a Pro Punter' which outlines the typical daily routine of a professional trader.

There is a lot more to Betfair than simply backing and laying horse or football teams and this book acts as a good taster to its wealth of content and gambling opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction for the care-free or risk averse, 20 April 2006
Mr. T. A. Freeman (Dover, England) - See all my reviews
Betfair had been recommended to me by a friend many times before but I'd never plucked up the courage to sit down and work out what was going on! Whilst I knew about "backing" a selection from my days in the smokey Ladbrokes shop in Dover, this book has shed so much light on "laying" and even "trading" to make a guaranteed profit whatever the result of an event!

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in gambling and sport and wants an introduction to one of the most innovative of websites! And there's plenty of anecdotes of losers as well as winners so that you don't start thinking you're unbeatable.

Above all, its a good read. Cheers Betfair.

4.0 out of 5 stars pleased, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Winning on Betfair For Dummies (Paperback)
this book is not heavy on the content I wanted i.e. hedge betting. A decent book othewrwise,i wouls recommeend it

3.0 out of 5 stars Betfair Starter Kit is what it is.., 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Winning on Betfair For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book to two of my friends who always used to ask me how to place a bet on Betfair. My hope was that they would get a good introduction to the Betfair site by reading the bookand that their frequency of questions would somewhat ease of. However, whereas the "Winning on Betfair for dummies" gives an excellent idea as to how to get started, it must be said that you are still 'a bit on your own when you have read the book and need to get started'. I have read the entire book twice although I am what people would refer to as an experienced Betfairian. Still I could use some of the 'reminders' in the book. But basically, this is a (good) starter kit to anyone wondering about the differences between "Betfair" and any 'normal' bookmaker. Is it worth the money? Yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book., 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Winning on Betfair For Dummies (Paperback)
Just what my partner needed for his research into the subject.He was very happy with it and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Winning on Betfair For Dummies (Paperback)
I am very happy with the book, a good choice for me and for anyone who buys it, recommend. Good reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars good handbook, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Winning on Betfair For Dummies (Paperback)
It would be better for someone with less experience on Betfair than I have.
It came across as really friendly and readable, but I don't think I found out any more than one or two things that I didn't know already.

Winning on Betfair For Dummies
Winning on Betfair For Dummies by Jack Houghton (Paperback - 7 Mar 2008)