Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2011
This book follows a tried and tested template of other Wiley books (including others by this author). It is aimed at the complete novice (myself!) and it runs through most of the features of the software in a logical order. Whilst it is easier to look through the book to find the answer to what you want than it is to use the application's help file, the video films which are provided by Adobe are very much more useful, because they guide you through in a semi-interactive way and you can actually see how things happen. The book is full of colourful pictures, screenshots, bullet and letter points and large areas of white space. It's pretty to look at, but there's not much text. Of the book's 214 pages, 7 are taken up with an index, 6 with a table of contents, 26 with chapter contents and at least as much again with headings and boxes saying what a particular tool is. I had some (limited) use of the book in the first few days of using the software, but now it is languishing unread and unreferred to. I wanted to find a book in which I could a) learn how to use the software and b) learn a little about how to create better finished photographs from my rather amateurish snapshots. So this book, cheap to buy and easy on the eye, was a wrong choice for me.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What grabs me about this book is how the publishers (and Amazon!) can sell it for as little as they are charging.

It is essentially the ideal replacement or supplement to any Adobe manual as it is clear, concise and lavishly illustrated in full colour. Printed on quality paper too! Photoshop Elements is an incredibly useful piece of software for the enthusiastic photography amateur and this book is an almost perfect companion. Instead of fairly dense text, it uses the "show me" principle to explain how to get the best out of your work. No stinting on the full colour photographic imagery at all, which is why I'm surprised at how this book has been priced. It's not a cheap booklet, it's a full sized manual for booklet money.

Highly recommended by me just for the value aspect. Don't bother spending fortunes elsewhere when this book will do the job and do it well. Kudos to Mr Wooldridge too for his easily followed style. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say it's a good companion for Photoshop itself to help you get to grips with the basic functions the two programs share.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a well laid out easy to understand guide for Photoshop Elements. I already have Microsoft Digital Editor 6 on my PC, which I've had a while, but the PC came with Elements in its bundle and I have been put off using it because it looked too complicated. This guide has solved all this and I would recommend it to anyone, whether new to the world of photo editing or even with a modicum of knowledge. It's a winner!
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is amazing. I have been struggling with elements 8 for sometime now! I bought another book but it really didnt help me with what i wanted to do with the software. But this book is really good. Its clear, the pictures are set out so you can follow the text. This is my best book ever. I use it like a bible now!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 January 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are looking at this product then you probably already have a fairly good idea of what the software does.

I am probably what you would call an advanced amateur, I enjoy taking photos of different subject matters, whether it be land/sea scape, flowers, random objects, and I have always found Photoshop Elements to be an invaluable resource in editing photos.

The book is laid out well, and easy to understand even at amateur level. You don't need to be technically advanced in "computer speak", and this software will help you get your photos looking as good as a professional's.

I would definitely recommend this book.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So many of these software books presume the reader already has a good grasp of the software itself. This book really is a refreshing change, aimed at the novice who just wants to be able to use Elements on a basic level so they are able to get results quickly and that they look professional. This book really does just that! To quote an oft mentioned tv line, "It does what it says on the tin" or in this case on the cover.

If you are not too compliant with Elements and want to be able to 'fiddle' about with your snaps and come up with something special, something to be proud of, then this is the book for you. Simple.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're a novice who's just stepping into the world of digital editing then this book is for you. The writer doesn't presume the reader will have any prior knowledge on using digital editing software and really does start right from the beginning.

The tutorials are short and for the most part easy to follow. However, some of the diagrams are a little small which can make them hard to read and you don't get to see a final image with the effect the tutorial's creating applied which is a shame.

This isn't a book for someone who's used Elements before but if you're a beginner wanting to learn the ropes or are looking for basic tutorials to further enhance your photography then you should have a flick through this book.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Really brilliant book this: it makes up for the lack of a paper manual beautifully. It really goes into excellent detail with regards to getting you up-to-speed with the basics of image editing, as well as showing some of the more advanced techniques.

I'm rarely without this book at the moment.

What's to recommend: it is highly readable, lots of colour, and the "projects" it chooses to illustrate are exactly the ones you will want to learn. If there's a criticism it may be that the more intensive image manipulation techniques are left out. Hopefully by the time I need those I will be a PE8 guru anyway.
VINE VOICEon 8 March 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this book as a total novice & newbie to Photoshop normally preferring to use PSP. Ok, so this is only the Elements version of PS but it's a worthwhile option nonetheless. I duly went off and got a trial copy of PSE to try and see whether I could make sense of any of it.

The book is laid out very attractively with colour pictures on every page which really help enormously in trying to get to grips with some of the more complex elements (pardon the pun) of the program. I decided to start off with something fairly simple and basic - importing photographs and organising them into an album. Working through the steps provided took me about 10-15 minutes as the book images were so clear and obvious as to where everything was located so unlike many other similar manuals it really took no time at all.

I easily worked through most of the examples provided and by day 3 of using the book was much more able to find and do things for myself.

Sections covered include photo organising/editing etc, layers, retouching, colour enhancements, filters, styles, text and some creation elements e.g. greeting card, flipbook etc.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone wanting to use PSE for their photo work particularly if you've no experience of DTP programs and need a lot of input on how to achieve tasks. I only dropped a star off it as I would have loved it to be even bigger as I'm sure there's a lot more yet to learn with this program which the books not covered. Me, I'm off to learn how to create a Vintage Photo, add a fancy background to it and then upload it to my website!!
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2011
This is a great, simple guide to the tools and techniques for Elements 8. Full of good colour illustrations and step-by-step instructions covering the functions which most amateur photo editors will need to know. It's not the sort of book you pick up and read cover to cover at bedtime, but keep it near your PC as a reference guide to dip into as and when you need it.

To keep it simple, this does not include lots of technical jargon or the theory behind why doing a certain task has a particular result, just simple instructions for using the tools and achieving particular effects or results. As you get more familiar with PSE8, you will learn that there is often more than one way to achieve a particular result (e.g. converting to monochrome) but this guide doesn't confuse you with all the different ways of doing things, just the easiest way.

My only criticism would be that the text in the book includes icons of the tool buttons, which because of the dark grey colour of Elements' desktop, means the icons often come out as almost black squares and it can be difficult to see what icon this is referring to. However, by using a bit of common sense and referring to the other illustrations this can be worked around.

A great purchase for anyone who needs a beginners guide to Elements 8.