5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book
I'm approached this book as a web designer in the process of creating a number of game concepts for the web - so I needed some authentic and directly useful direction and ideas. I genuinely appreciate the author for writing this.

Published on 18 Nov 2010 by R. Tait

3.0 out of 5 stars A heavy read but not much has been missed out
Was going to give it 4 stars but there's just enough wrong to knock it down. First off, the content itself is very comprehensive and there's not much about the fundamentals of game design that aren't covered. You can learn a lot from this book.

The problem is that it's bloated with so much text to read I struggled to get through it and with the presentation...
Published 15 months ago by Don. Load

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 18 Nov 2010
R. Tait (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There are 478 pages, each packed with concise, readable and detailed info. Topic detailed include the story, character development, and controls, as well a esoteric concepts like 'fun'. There's more detail and wisdom than I know how to summarize. Each double page spread has at least one picture (a minimal, cartoony drawing) which works brilliantly to explain each point, and makes it handy to navigate the book by flicking rapidly through it.

The concepts are so fundamental that I believe this is useful if you're creating the next Call of Duty, or making a modest Flash app for the web. I also think this book will be interesting to gamers who care about the thought processes behind making games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you thinking about level design!, 5 Nov 2010
Mr. R. Brown "rsbrowndog" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to make clear about this book, if it's not already from the description given above, is that it does not contain a single line of programming code. Instead, this is all about what should be going on before the programmer sits down at the keyboard and starts merrily tapping away!

Being a bit of an amateur game-maker myself, I've really enjoyed this book and recommended my son (who has similar ambitions) read it next. I've aborted too many little projects because I've become caught up in feature-creep or been unable to add specific features that I believed were required. The common thread in all these aborted projects was that I didn't have a clear design in mind before starting. They all started with a "Can I do...?" question and progressed from there, with that question eventually being answered with a "No I can't!".

Armed with this book I am compiling a clear and concise design document and will soon be hacking away with the Unreal Development Kit to see if I can finally make my dreams a reality!

4.0 out of 5 stars Will help you to know that you're barking up the wrong tree. Probably., 23 Nov 2010
P. M. Fernandez "exilefromgroggs" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good book, well and engagingly written, about (surprise, surprise) the process of designing video games. I say this to highlight the fact that it is not about programming or creating video games - no attempt is made to suggest a suitable platform, or programming framework. I don't think any real effort was made to contrast gameplay on (say) Facebook with gameplay on a PS3. If you want to gain some experience of putting a game together, you need to start elsewhere. However, it does comprehensively set out the process of moving from the concept to the final version. This has its place, of course - most of the places on the internet which invite you to experiment with games programming don't leave you with anything terribly satisfying, compared even to the most casual Flash-based game. This book helps you to understand the work that goes into the sort of game that people would be willing to pay for.

Basically, if you have a really good idea for a game (I have had several! - well, at least in my mind...) then reading this book will probably persuade you that unless you already work for a game programming company, the idea will probably not get any further than that. This is rather a gloomy analysis, but at the end of the book, I really didn't feel more inclined to write up my designs in the suggested format - the gap between concept and implementation turns out to be substantially bigger than I'd imagined.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well Written Introduction, 14 Nov 2010
L. Hardt (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a gamer myself, I was intrigued by this book and the insights it might lend into the process of designing a game. Having received the book, I was not disappointed. It is an enlightening and interesting introduction to the creative side of a blossoming industry.

The guide is well written with a humorous touch, occasionally lightening up what might be rather dry subject matter. The book takes you through the numerous areas to which a game designer must pay careful attention, often using examples from the modern game industry as illustration. The book covers all bases and even offers up examples of some of the important documents that must be produced in the process of designing a game.

As a teacher, I can see this book being useful as a textbook in the classroom either for ICT or for Media Studies - or even English as there is a wealth of information on writing narratives for video games that could be an excitingly different project for students than some of the more usual creative writing projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for a student, 26 April 2014
a good and interesting read that isn't just all words, actually backed up with helpful illustrations that really help to capture the attention of the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very useful book, 30 July 2013
Excellent book with a good basic layout and teaching. Easy to follow with lots of tips which is what is needed with such a large subject i am Currently working through it

using the book as a useful help manual/reminder once you have got started doing video game design

good balance has been struck to get you started with all the key features and grasp an overall understanding of video games design,

5.0 out of 5 stars I've not even finished and it's awesome, 25 July 2013
I'm on 'level 3' of this book so far, and already it's absolutely fantastic. Chock full of invaluable bits of information from virtually every post within the gaming industry. He focuses mostly on designing (being a designer himself) which is of great interest to me as it's what I'd love to do. But even if you don't want to be a games designer, he has such a huge amount of knowledge on so many different posts within the industry that you'll be able to get use out of it regardless of what you want.

I thoroughly recommend this for anyone who wants to get into the gaming industry in any capacity, or even if you're just interested in how the video games process works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers everything....EVERYTHING, 20 Jun 2013
Whilst this book covers a lot more than I personally need, I do find it very well presented and the drawings add a level of humor, that when combined with the author's writing style, makes this book an informative, enjoyable read. Couldn't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Concepts, 2 Jun 2013
U. Sule "RV" - See all my reviews
Contains many sections, a little long winded at points but overall a brilliant book.

Great sections and things that can be implemented into actual game design.

Note: This is completely from a designers point of view talking about documenting the game and presenting the idea. If you're a programmer like me it is still helpful but will not teach you in depth into things like layouts, colour schemes etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the aspiring game designer, 17 May 2013
Kasper Adolph (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book because I want to be a game designer myself and it looked interesting. Furthermore Scott Rogers has been involved with the development of some of my favourite games so the purchase of this book seemed like a no-brainer.

The book is well written and it is riddled with humour and fun quotes which makes it an entertaining read. The numerous drawings serve to make the points presented even clearer and the "Level XX's universal truths and clever ideas" section at the end of each chapter (level) is a nice touch that sums up each chapter fairly well.

While the book in general is well thought out (e.g. the order of the chapters makes perfect sense in a learning and development point of view) the layout could use some work. Often the drawings are on separate pages from their accompanying text and the same goes for the titles/headlines for some sections of the chapters - often only one or two lines and on some occasions zero lines of text are present beneath a title and the text begins on the next page. But these are only minor gripes and the book as a whole is excellent. If the layout is fixed in a future version I'll definitely give it five stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design by Scott Rogers (Paperback - 14 Sep 2010)
Used & New from: 24.98