on 28 September 2010
I found this book to be excellent. It is straight forward, precise & concise. A good reference book for a begginner & more experienced.

I have over 15 years of I.T. development in Java, Oracle ( within retail banking, media) but I have always wanted to go into the investment trading sector. But there were so many things I needed to learn which got me discouraged.

I had bought so many books, some were bulky with so many pages, i didnt finish most of them. Usually halfway, im lost.

Then i came across this book. I read sample chapters & wanted more. So i bought it.
I wanted a book that would just go into the basic & the detail of what i needed to know to forge ahead in my career.

Im not just writing this & amazon can check my account & confirm this is the first time im writing a review. And
I had bought around two hundred books from this website.

It is a great book & I found it very easy to digest. Definitely one of the best books i had bought.
on 10 October 2012
This is the first time EVER I am writting a review (frankly for any product). I am simply too lazy to bother. However, I felt compelled to write one on this book. I am an IT person who has been working in Investment Bank for over 14 years, and have picked up financial knowledge along the way. I bought this book just to read in preparation for a job interview. I have to say it is the best value for money book I have ever bought, and I could start a library with the amount of books I have purchased over time. It literally covers everything about trade lifecycle. Not only does it do this, it covers it in a very clear, easy to follow way. I find myself reading the book, almost as a novel, as opposed to being a text book. This really is a great book for anyone who wants an overview of Trade lifecycle. It is a steal for the price.
on 5 October 2010
My advice to potential buyers is to print the Table of Contents from here and look up the Wikipedia for the key topics while you are reading this book, you will get an even enhanced understanding of the Trade Lifecycle. This book could use some more details around the actual lifecycle and could do without extra topics that are covered that are not directly associated with the trade lifecycle.

I still gave it 4 stars because this book has been compiled professionally and may help a complete newcomer to this industry.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2010
I've been in Front Office / Trading since 1993 and this is one of the best books I've read on trade lifecycle. It has been useful in getting a broader view of trade flow not only from FO but all the way through to BO and reporting etc.

There's a good cross-section re: products and trade types and it's well paced and not overly long like some reference type books are.

This is a real-work book for real people working in the industry.
on 31 January 2011
Having worked with Robert in the past I purchased this book more as an act of solidarity than because I felt it would have any real relevance for me but I couldn't have been more wrong.

After contracting in investment banking for my entire career, latterly as a senior software developer, I had always struggled with the fact that I was offered little guidance as to the instruments with which I was expected to work and the processes with which my work integrated; after reading Robert's book I can safely say my accumulated experience of 14 years in finance has finally been given a voice.

Robert has managed to condense a lifetime of expertise and study into an eminently readable introduction into the frequently oblique world of investment banking as viewed from the perspective of an individual trade; from asset class descriptions in layman's terms to discussions of the Greeks to an all-encompassing perspective on the multitude of potential risks engendered in a trading environment this book has provided me with a perspective that all my years in banking singularly failed to do.

Although of less relevance to me as it covered ground with which I was already comfortable I have to also mention the chapters on IT and system development which should be required reading for any Luddite business types who harbour the illusion that code writes itself.

Highly recommended.
on 2 February 2014
In a couple hundred pages it sums up the trade lifecycle and some additional yet important themes (market and counterparty risk; P&L etc). From the begginig it explains basic aspects regarding trading, the relevant "players" in this field and goes to some lenght (3 chapters) to go through the classes of assets usually traded - two of which destined to derivatives and credit derivatives (quite helpful). It has a very good and concise chapter (8) on the lifecycle itself. All in all, I would advice it, in particular to professionals and students aiming to improve their knowledge on financial operations (a field that lacks supply books wise) as well as any others involved or interested in back office activities.
on 9 July 2012
This book is a must read for those who carry out operational due diligence on hedge funds like me. It doesn't assume too much prior knowledge and is easy to read. That said, it is not elementary and is brilliant at explaining the different considerations of the trade process for different instruments. I also love that it covers the processes required to support a successful trade process; compliance, business continuity planning, risk management, etc. Things that I ask managers about every day when visiting them. Highly recommended.
on 19 June 2015
Delivery on time. The book provides decent background for beginners into different aspect of trading and functions of Investment Banks.
on 19 October 2011
Great book as someone who works in the industry i felt that it was spot on and have since recommended it to my colleagues who have loved it too. Great book and great buy!
on 5 April 2013
A unique book comprising the essential knowledge for derivatives trading and post-trade processing. A must read for everyone new to the area, especially within operations and technology.