on 16 March 2011
Having bought and read many travel guides I felt this was the first one I could truly understand and in parts found it to be quite funny. I have lived in the south of france for 6 years and having read the book I have discovered some wonderful places on my door step that I never heard of. I love the insiders tips and found them to be very useful.
on 24 March 2011
This is an absolutely wonderful and comprehensive family guide book to the French Riviera and Provence! I have been living in Southern France for 13 years, and have two small children. I also own the previous edition of this book, and have found them both extremely useful! This book is a great, easy-to-read reference, full of creative ideas for family outings, practical travel information, and many valuable insider tips. You will even find some tasty local recipes! I love the personal style of writing, and have found the book to be a great value! I highly recommend this book, for both locals and tourist! You will be happy you have it with you while you are on the Cote d'Azur!
on 9 March 2011
This is a fantastic travel book and an essential read for a family holiday in the South of France. It is clever, interesting, and full of useful details, obviously written by a mum who has knowledge of what traveling with small children entails. I definitely felt like the author has personally visited and enjoyed all of her recommendations, and her insight & personal touch makes this book feel more like a chat with an unusually helpful friend than a travel book written by a professional author. Thank you, Ms Simpson!
Our children are all grown up, but I still rate this guide...
Us middle aged adults like to have fun too, you know, and this fab little guide to anywhere in Provence that a fun time can be had is a fantastic boon to the Provencal tourist...
Use in conjunction with a good general guide to Provence (either "The Rough Guide" or "DK Eyewitness"... see my other reviews...), and you will be well set up...
Great for canoeing trips, Zoo's, interesting Museums & attractions not named in other guides.
Recommended!
on 26 July 2011
This was a really well thought out, helpful guide to a large area. It covered far more than I had thought it would. Luckily I read it avidly in preparation for our holiday, because in the end I failed to pack it, and I really missed it. I would recommend this book very highly and will now look at others in the series.
on 26 July 2012
This feels like a sub-section of a bigger guide book with a few sentences about children thrown in at regular intervals, though admittedly some of them were really nice tips. But there are no useful maps and very little information if you're staying any length of time in one particular area - which, if you have a young family, you probably are. I was very disappointed, and wish I'd bought something much bigger and more detailed.

It's not a bad book, it just isn't very useful because it's too brief for the area of the country that it covers. Might be useful to get an overview well before you travel, perhaps to help you decide where to stay.
on 31 May 2012
This has to be the ultimate guide for families travelling to Provence and the Cote D'Azur. Easy to read it is crammed full of practical and useful information and advice. Not only does it recommend some great family friendly restaurants, places to visit and entertainment to suit all ages, this guidebook also includes great tips for engaging children in the cuisine and history of the region, as well as plenty of fun facts that all the family can relate to. Fantastic!
on 25 February 2012
This is a very good complement to a regular guidebook, with listings geared towards those bringing children from 0-15 years. Has lots of listings lacking in other books.
on 11 December 2015