5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to the subject
Well-written primer for investors or anyone who simply wants to understand what all the financial pages of newspapers mean. Levene tackles the subject in an informal but informative manner and his background as a journo rather than a fund manager clearly helps in this respect.

Published on 18 Jan 2008 by Michael Collier

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful & Informative
The book gave me an insight into investing, however I didn't find it particularly easy to understand and difficult to remember "important" items, but I will be able to review it as required.
Published 17 months ago by Paul Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to the subject, 18 Jan 2008
Michael Collier (Riga, Latvia) - See all my reviews

This is one of the better '...For Dummies' titles I have come across and certainly the best introduction to the subject I have encountered. Too often investment books are either over-technical or dry as a bone. Given the huge scope of the subject and the complexity of some of the investment vehicles currently available, Levene does as well as anyone could hope and probably a bit better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good first port of call, 14 Oct 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a good place to start if you're interested in investing but don't know much jargon or terms. It goes through subjects like investor psychology, as well as explaining the various types of investments and the risks associated with them. It is clear to read and very understandable. This would be a perfect launch-pad to other books about investing and a great way to further your knowledge about what can be a confusing topic.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

4.0 out of 5 stars My review, 2 Jan 2008
I have read this book from cover to cover at least once and some topic of my interest at least twice or more.

I am no new comer when come to investment, but I do get some refreshment on certain bits which I have too long forgotten in my consideration whenever I buy my shares.

The author placed a lot of emphasis on buying shares and dedicated almost half of the book on shares. He is in agreement with Warren Buffett style of investing - buy and hold. He placed similar emphasis on bonds (maybe a little lesser than shares). He placed lesser emphasis on real estate investment and alternative investment.

I think these forms of investment are just as important as knowing how to invest in stock. I sincerely do think the author should really have placed a bit more of his attention on these areas. I think the details on some of the more sophisticated form of investment (CFD/Spreadbet/Share Options) are covered too briefly in this book. Warnings and danger of these geared products are not discussed in great details.

Oh yes, the author has very deep hatred for OEIC/Mutual fund. He would not recommend anyone buying OEIC/Mutual fund. And I see where he is coming from, but perhaps he has been a bit too extreme to certain extent. OEIC/Mutual fund is still a great one-stop solution for investors who do not have the time to study the various different form of investment and still provide a quick diversification.

I like the first half of his book, but somewhat feel he had been under pressure to finish the second half of his book. A lot of the important details on the topics covered in the second half of his book has been absent (For example: He discussed about real estate in just few pages whereas he discuss shares in great details. He has not discussed about investing in education or owning a business (to me that is also a form of investment).

And I dislike the way he drew his conclusion. The conclusion is in direct contrast with the first half of the book. In the first half of his book, he is almost certain that shares almost always beat any forms of investment in the very long term, with charts and statistic to back him up. In the last chapter of his book, he is not so sure of that, in fact, he is not even sure any form of investing is good (I felt it is as though the conclusion is written by another person altogether).

I give it a 5 star for the first half of his book, but 3 star for the second half. If you are interested in shares and bonds, this is the book you should read (discard the second half). If you are interested in other form of investment other than shares and bonds, I suggest you look for other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Beginners, 22 Sep 2007
Mr. C. Hilton-petrou "CH" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This really is a book for those of you who wish to know the basics of personal Finance/investment and the Financial and Investment world in one place. It is a great starting block and provides sound advice at every corner. It does not tell you how to make money, it simply gives you the academic tool in which to enter into the investment markets.

I am 19 and have a strong interest in Finance and I found that this gave me a stronger knowledge of what I already knew. So therefore it can help any budding entrepreneurs also.

I strongly recommend anybody and anyone to read this even if you aren't interested at all. It is valuable information for your life without being pretentious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate to buy, 11 July 2009
Ang (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
This was recommended to me by a financial company that I am going to work for. It is imformative and easy to read. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner, 10 Jun 2014
Having been and still am quite a newbie when it goes down to investing, this book has given me the first steps into the investing world. I would recommend it to all first starters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Investing, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
Easy to follow, comprehensive and informative. That's all that needs to be said - I wish Amazon didn't insist on fourteen words with these reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 2 Sep 2013
Monkeyhanger (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
A very good buy for anyone wishing to stash a little cash and maybe make a bob or two. Very informative and helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 21 Jun 2013
Hazem Lashin (Chelmsford, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a good introduction to investment. It also helps to explain the basics about the major investment instruments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed, 22 Oct 2007
Hi,
Excellent book for my level of investment knowledge.
Gives you a good base.
Well worth the read.
I can recommend this book.

Investing For Dummies
Investing For Dummies by Tony Levene (Paperback - 20 Aug 2010)
11.19