on 26 February 2013
I've just bought the book based on great reviews, but I almost didn't because of the negative reviews for the kindle version not including the CD. Well, you can download the CD to your kindle from booksupport . wiley . com (without the spaces), so do buy the kindle version if you like. I've just started reading the book but it already looks like what I was looking for - introduction to Mindfulness and the meditation techniques, written in a clear and interesting manner.
on 6 May 2012
I know a little about Mindfulness as I own another book but good as it is I really prefer the 'Dummies' one. So far, I have read bits and pieces, as it is possible to dip into it to read any part of particular interest.
The practice of Mindfulness is not simple, but so worthwhile. It teaches so many important aspects to living in the present and dealing with everyday stress.

Some lovely little stories/moral tales are included and while it is not necessary to read them they are memorable e.g. 'The Cracked Pot'.
The format of the book is lovely with a nice clear appearance.

The accompanying CD is great; the Author's voice is perfect. My only problem is that I fall asleep so quickly when listening to the CD that I maybe don't gain all the benefits. Must try to use it during the day.
on 20 May 2011
If you are new to Mindfulness I heartily recommend this book. The author Shamash Alidina acts as a brilliant guide to help you begin your journey to discover a different way of living. Those lucky enough to read the book will find it hard to put down. Chapter by chapter Shamash guides you through meditation practises that will help you live a 'richer' life and combat depression and anxiety, amongst other afflictions. He writes not just for 'Dummies' but for those of us fed up with rushing from one place to another, always stressed, never enjoying the things we should be and shows us how to establish a life we would rather be living. A foolproof guide, that really is one of the best 'manuals' I have read, coupled with good humour and an enjoyable style, Shamash has given us a 'Bible' on how to cope with everyday life in a world where stress seems inevitable and shows us how to deal with it. The tips and meditation practises he explains are excellent and really work! The CD is the perfect accompaniment to a book that should be compulsory on all bookshelves.

An absolutely brilliant book that assists you in dealing with unwanted thoughts, feelings and unhelpful lifestyles, so you can become a happier, more compassionate human being. Put it on the National Curriculum I say!
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2011
This is so well written, easy to understand and follow. No stone is unturned though, and it's a wonderful explanation of mindfulness. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2014
Currently in order to download the accompanying CD for the Kindle version of this book from the Wiley book support page you need to input the 2010 first edition ISBN number - 9780470660867 not the current ISBN listed on Amazon. File is in zip compressed format so use a free de-compressor like 7-Zip.
on 18 July 2010
This book is brilliant for people who already like mindfulness and beginners alike. I have been using mindfulness for nearly a year now but there is lots for me to learn and gain from this book. I have also brought some copies for some friends who have no experience because it is written so clearly and sectioned so well that it will allow people to learn at their own pace.
The accompanying cd has several meditations of different lengths and types all in a nice style.
Shamash's writing style really is very accessible and friendly. It is a book you can read through, dip into, or use as a reference book.
I personally started to use mindfulness for chronic pain but it has made life a lot calmer and easier in other ways as well as helping with pain.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2011
I began reading this book in preparation for an eight week course in Mindfulness hosted by it's Author. At first I was a little sceptical as to how a subject such as meditation might fit into the somewhat formulaic structure of the Dummies franchise. I needn't have worried! The writing is clear and inspiring, the exercises (and tips) neatly segmented and explained.

The book (and CD) not only assisted me in the preparation and completion of the course itself, but have also acted as an amazing source of reference over the subsequent weeks, months and hopefully years to come!

My Mac for Dummies book has long since seen a page turn but this one I feel is unlikely to be gathering much in the way of dust...
VINE VOICEon 1 May 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A good introduction and beyond of this great practice. Suitable for beginners but helpful to anyone. The great thing about mindfulness is it is a very simple practice. There are simpler and more succinct books (The mindfulness Manifesto perhaps) but this one will give you a very thorough understanding.
on 13 August 2011
I think anyone could pick up this book and get something out of it - very well written and easy to understand. I've read a few mindfulness and meditation books over the years and I have to say this one is one of the best I've read - it's really motivated me to keep up my meditation practice. CD is great too.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
`Mindfulness for Dummies' is another good book in the `for Dummies' series and if you have read any other books from them then this will be familiar territory. You get the garish yellow cover, in-depth contents and index, chapters broken up into succinct bite sized sections, the assorted icons that highlights specific sections and paragraphs, the cartoons from Rich Tennant and the Part of Tens to finish things up. It's very formulaic stuff, but it's a formula that works.

This book looks at the practise pf Mindfulness and starts off by exploring the benefits, before going into greater depth discussing the various ways of meditating and integrating the ideas into your everyday life. It helps with forming a routine that works for you and counters any setbacks you may experience. It also suggests ways to help you develop greater happiness, as well as reducing stress, anger, fatigue, anxiety and depression. It finishes up by looking at Mindfulness in relation to pain and how to introduce it to children. The part of tens is more comprehensive than in other dummies books I have and offers up some good resources for future exploration.

The author writes with humour and he is very clear about how to practise mindfulness and it's benefits in your life. I have done various meditations for many years now, some of which are in this book, and I have to say this is a good introduction to meditation and it demystifies some of the ideas surrounding mindfulness and meditation in general. The benefits of meditation and mindfulness have long been established and this book is a wonderful way to open yourself up to it's positive influence in your life.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.