Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2015
It's a great book for the student, but I did find some of his layouts for explaining the cases confusing. That said, I really like the exercises and the proses he introduces by the seventh lesson. A knowledge of German is a great help, but Mr. Baker fills each chapter with information and facts and grammar. I am on my second reading of the book and learning a great deal. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 19 December 2015
The author leads the reader into the language by explaining chapters of the grammar. This is an approach I appreciate more than what other books do, viz. offering a piece of text and explaining bits and pieces of it. Once you have worked your way through the grammar, you can start using it. And I admit, the explanation of the grammar is done well, although it quite like helps that I have had Latin quite extensively at school once.

However, few readers will memorize a whole table of case endings or ver declensions in one go, so you find yourself frequently leafing back to those sections to review those tables. And this is where the book falls short. The lay-out of those tables really isn't up to the job. Placing the accusative between nominative and genitive when it in other books and languages uses to sit in the fourth position unnecessarily complicates reading. Forgetting one dot on the c of "ic" makes you unsure whether the rest of the table would be correct or not. A letter such as d is completely absent from the pronunciation section, leaving the reader only to presume it is like modern English even though that is not the only possibility withon the context of germanic languages. Being gender-neutral by alternating he and she may be commendable for an American author, only it doesn't help the student the least. Tricks to memorize case endings seem very personal but are to me evn more complex than the real thing. Those who know other germanic languages will come up with much easier memory aids.

The book ends with a glossary, which is nicely complete, but contain a lot of unexplained code numbers.

The book frequently refers to on-line content, but all the links are outdated. If anyone ought to be aware that books are for eternity and the web is not, it should be the Old-English specialist... Then, once you've found the online resources at their new locations, most of them appear behind a password wall.
on 28 April 2013
I found the lessons engrossing, well thought out and overall, simple to understand. A very interesting book for someone who wishes to read and understand original works without having to rely on someone else's translation and gives a good feel for how the English language has evolved from those early days.
on 21 November 2015
Arrived in good time, satisfied with purchase.
on 21 May 2014
The book is really interesting but it is full of special Old English characters that don't display well on Kindle reader. I had to give up in the end - but much of it is available on the internet.
on 3 January 2016
Love this
on 15 August 2013
I arrived here after reading his piece about the Ancient Britons and the arrival by invitation of the Anglo Saxons, or as he said, the "Cowardice" of the Britons, at the time when we were being overseen by the Emporer "Martian".........er???!!.
Well, as an academic, maybe he wouldn't like being corrected, but then maybe he should check his work before submitting it. The name was "Marcian", an Emperor, not a little green man, and before calling a race of people "cowards", one might look no further than our recent history, led by his nation, "You are either with us, or against us", to the continuing debacles in Iraq, Afghanistan and possibly the same outcome in Iran if it happens, ie, from....... "Shock and Awe", to, "We'll be leaving quietly in 2014". Whether then or now Mr BAKER, the British have a chequered history, but we are not cowards, and never have been.