5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out
I found the lessons engrossing, well thought out and overall, simple to understand. A very interesting book for someone who wishes to read and understand original works without having to rely on someone else's translation and gives a good feel for how the English language has evolved from those early days.
Published 21 months ago by Mary Newsome

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work on Kindle reader
The book is really interesting but it is full of special Old English characters that don't display well on Kindle reader. I had to give up in the end - but much of it is available on the internet.
Published 8 months ago by Jonathan Edney

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, 28 April 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great book for the student, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Introduction to Old English (Paperback)
It's a great book for the student, but I did find some of his layouts for explaining the cases confusing. That said, I really like the exercises and the proses he introduces by the seventh lesson. A knowledge of German is a great help, but Mr. Baker fills each chapter with information and facts and grammar. I am on my second reading of the book and learning a great deal. I thoroughly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work on Kindle reader, 21 May 2014
Jonathan Edney (UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Try another author., 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Introduction to Old English (Paperback)
I arrived here after reading his piece about the Ancient Britons and the arrival by invitation of the Anglo Saxons, or as he said, the "Cowardice" of the Britons, at the time when we were being overseen by the Emporer "Martian".........er???!!.
Well, as an academic, maybe he wouldn't like being corrected, but then maybe he should check his work before submitting it. The name was "Marcian", an Emperor, not a little green man, and before calling a race of people "cowards", one might look no further than our recent history, led by his nation, "You are either with us, or against us", to the continuing debacles in Iraq, Afghanistan and possibly the same outcome in Iran if it happens, ie, from....... "Shock and Awe", to, "We'll be leaving quietly in 2014". Whether then or now Mr BAKER, the British have a chequered history, but we are not cowards, and never have been.

Introduction to Old English
Introduction to Old English by Peter S. Baker (Paperback - 17 Feb. 2012)