Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2012
I ordered this book as an introduction to immunology. I am currently in my second year of a biochem degree. It's written like a story and I followed the authors instructions to read through quickly before going back to study in depth. I could read it for hours on end and over again. It's a fantastic book and I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a clear and concise introduction to immunology.
on 24 September 2013
I'm not a student. Just interested. I was swayed by the excellent reviews from (mainly medical) students. I was not at all disappointed. The book thoroughly deserves the rave student views. I'm not trying to recommend it to a general readership but for those with a keen interest, this is a brilliant treatment of the subject. I had just finished reading the chemistry of life by Stephen Rose before this purchase and found Rose's chapter on the immune system too sketchy and consequentially difficult to follow. The opening chapter of Sompayrac's book is enlightening and inviting in content and style. The chapters were a stretch for me but kept me curious to the end.
on 14 October 2013
What an exceptional book!
Lauren Sompayrac pulls off the rare trick of making it fun to read and easy to understand without talking down to you in the slightest. In fact, it's clear you are in the hands of an expert. He takes you into the technicalities of the immune response so this is a book where it pays to bring your concentration with you. But don't be put off - you're rewarded with a trip into the fascinating and miraculous world of immunisation. As a non-medical reader, this was a book full of wonder and your admiration for the body's immune system just grows and grows. Lauren Sompayrac is so good at guiding you to an understanding and appreciation of the complexity of the immune system that I got his other book, too ('How Pathogenic Viruses Think').
on 4 March 2013
As a medical student I have certainly struggled for many years to understand how the immune system works and all the different cells that are involved in the organisation of this essential system of the body.

If you agree with me on this note then look no further than this textbook. Admittedly if like me you do not herald from the US or watch any US sports the main analogy used in this book may not be as personal to you but it is still a great way of looking at the immune system. Prior to reading this book the only real analogy that I had ever heard used was that of comparing the immune system to a castle with defenders and invaders, this has been useful to a certain extent but didn't help to explain the more complex information you are expected to learn.

This book however with it's analogy effectively overcomes this though and approaches the immune system as though you were planning out the team relating each of the roles and actions of the different players in the immune system to the different players in the team. I can certainly say that from my personal experience, this is the first book that I have used that has actually allowed me to make sense of the immune system.

In summary if you are looking for a book that will allow you to make sense of the immune system so that you can understand better conditions that relate to it then may I encourage you to give this book a try. Why not consider getting this book out from your library or purchasing a copy for yourself as from my experience and those of other reviewers of this title I would say that you wouldn't go wrong by doing this.

Competing Interests - Student Reviewer - Received a gratis copy of this book
on 1 May 2012
In my second year at Medical school. This book is brilliant, makes Immunology so much easier to understand. Would completely recommend to anyone studying the subject, it has really made my revision easier.
on 28 November 2013
This is simply one of the best medical textbooks that I have ever read. Clear diagrams coupled with highly readable text make this whole subject easily understandable and engaging.
on 2 January 2013
This book is such an enjoyable read, I find myself flicking through it for fun! With an immunology exam round the corner, I can safely say that I'm feeling relaxed and confident, happily understanding everything I'm reading and ready to face the exam. This is an exact opposite to how I was feeling literally a few moments before I started reading this book. I seriously thought my degree would suffer, but not any more! An excellent, must-have for any immunology student.
on 9 February 2015
Tried several textbook samples on my Kindle and loved this one. It's analogies will stick with you forever and really embed the information in your memory. Follow the instructions and have a quick read through it before going back and taking in each lesson one by one and you will do great! Currently studying for a masters in pharmacology and this book helped me out more than any other I've ever bought!
on 9 March 2013
This book has been amazing through my studies...I have many books on immunology, yet some can be very complex! This book has been amazing! It's like being sat in a lecture! Everything is simple and easy to understand! I will keep this book for many years to come!
on 17 December 2013
This book is all that's kept me going through immunology. Highly recommend - it's so easy to read and understand, but doesn't skimp on the details. One of the only textbooks I could actually read from cover to cover!