5.0 out of 5 stars Model-Specific with Useful Information & Illustrations.
As I got a Nikon D3100 18-55vr Kit at the end of December 2010, this has proved an excellent guide for me. I had used SLRs before, but this was my first DSLR and so there has been a lot to learn. This guide has helped me firm up my knowledge of the D3100 and pointed out many things that I wouldn't have found out on my own with just the Nikon documentation.

I...
Published on 19 May 2011 by Bruce

Great guide book lavishly illustrated, which explains fully in easy to understand words the full features of the 'Nikon D3100' and helps you to get the most out of your new camera.
Published on 21 July 2011 by Mr. Philip Harkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Model-Specific with Useful Information & Illustrations., 19 May 2011
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I liked the whole approach - J. Dennis Thomas is not just providing a generic guide - he looks at the specifics of this model and how it sits in the Nikon range of DSLRs. For example, he points out how this camera has a few more buttons for features, which in other models like the D3000 are just hidden in menus. Like the Release Mode switch, which is easier to access from the top of the camera.

I also liked the format of the book - it is small enough to fit in a rucksack or camera bag, yet big enough to include clear, full-colour photos of everything that is described. So when going through all the features and buttons on the camera, there are almost life-size pictures which are clearly labelled, to illustrate the points made in the text. I often find in manuals, that they use line drawings that are more generic - whereas with this approach of using photos throughout - there is no mistaking what is being said or described.

I also like the way that photography concepts are interspersed with detailed information about this model. For example, I was not familiar with the concept of "digital noise" - but while covering this, Thomas explains how the D3100 has one of the lowest signal-to-noise ratios of any camera on the market and then shows the ways it has of compensating for Long Exposure or High ISO noise.

Another bonus was the inclusion of a grey card and colour checker in the book, with a detailed explanation of how to use this as a reference for shoots with different types of lighting. But this is integrated with a detailed description of the 8 white balance settings specific to the D3100.

One of the sections I found particularly useful was that on additional lenses to use with this camera. So, I had tried to research this, but it's often difficult as there are so many lenses on the market and it's not always clear in descriptions, if they are compatible with this particular model. Thomas explains how most Nikon lenses will work with the D3100, but they won't all autofocus and he details which lenses will mean that all the features like Autofocus and Vibration Reduction, are available to the D3100 user.

I think this is invaluable, as it gives you the confidence to try out other lenses apart from the kit, without worrying that you have bought an expensive item, that doesn't quite work how you hoped it would.

The guide goes on to take you through lots of situations where you might use a DSLR and gives tables of detailed settings to use on your D3100, as examples - but also fleshes out all the underlying concepts, so that you can experiment as well.

I cannot rate this guide highly enough and can't see any downsides. It has a useful chapter layout with a big "Contents" page at the front, so you can find the part you want easily and skip to that; as well as an Index at the back, to find particular terms.

I really think that Nikon should bundle this and send it out with every D3100, as it has so much useful information in a well-presented and helpful format. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the best from your D3100, 22 July 2011
Mr. Guy Mcevoy "Geek In Denial" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you've got a 3100 the best that can be said about the documentation/instructions that comes in the box is it is 'adequate'. This book goes a long way to plugging those gaps.

Easy to read, and carefully pitched so as not assume you are a photography expert - in fact this works well for absolute beginners, yet still manages not to patronise you if you already know a little bit. You get good explanations of how to get great shots in all sorts of situations, and camera specific guidance for your own kit.

Frankly, if you've spent all that money on the camera this book is a small extra spend which, unless you already really know your camera stuff, will get you a much better return on investment from your D3100 - and allow you to talk more confidently to 'proper photographers' by understanding the key concepts into the bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it so much I bought the camera, 6 July 2011
Doccox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
By: J. Dennis Thomas

A good friend of mine had raved about his Nikon D3100 and when the opportunity came up on Amazon Vine to review this book, I jumped at the chance to learn more about the camera..
Unlike the standard camera support documentation ( often multilingual and only available in full as a downloadable pdf), the author ( an experienced freelance using a variety of Nikon equipment) goes through the functions ( strengths and any limitations ) of the camera , step by step , with illustrative photographs of real world applications.
Additional lenses ( both Nikon - modern and old - and third party) are reviewed and their uses illustrated such that other lenses may be considered as one's hobby develops.
Possible flash units and their application are also illustrated.
Technical issues such as Aperture , Speeds , Focussing ( Auto and manual) and white balance ( there is a free grey card / colour chart included with the book) , histograms are all covered in a simple , practical manner.
The strengths and weaknesses of the full HD 1080p video function is also discussed
Whether you are new to digital photography and the D3100 ( said to be an "entry" Nikon DSLR - but with amazingly advanced functions) there is a wealth of information on the camera and photographic applications. There are also suggested projects to get further experience.
I was sufficiently impressed by the level of the information to go on to buy the basic camera kit ( 18-55mm DX VR leans) and the 55-300mm Nikon DX VR telephoto zoom.

Notes added 2/8/2011 - I am tempted to deduct half to one star as the Infra Red remote mentioned (ML L3) in the text does not work with the D3100 - so I have an unusable item - not worth the cost of returning though. Use either the Nikon MC-DC2 remote cable via the accessory terminal - or possibly a radio remote ( as supplied by HAMA)

The excellent illustrative pictures are also all taken with Nikon pro lenses and not the kit lens or any of the Nikon entry level lenses like the 55-200 or 55-300 DX VR Nikkor lenses - perhaps being a bit pedantic as they do illustrate what the camera body is capable of.

As an alternative excellent manual see also "Nikon D3100 for Dummies - Julie Adair King"

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be without this "Guide", 11 Jan 2011
Mr. EDWARD A. MELTON "edalan" (Letchworth Garden City, Herts. UK) - See all my reviews
Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide
This book is a comprehensive guide on the use of Nikon's latest entry-level camera.
Text is very easy to read and follow. Full colour diagrams linking with the text are really helpful.
Suitable for beginners and experienced alike, all should have one of these guides in their camera bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well laid out guide for novices., 21 July 2011
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the kind of manual that you might hope to get with your first camera. It is clear, well structured and there is good use of colour. All the features of the camera are covered. The basics of digital photography are also covered and would be useful to any novice digital camera user.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the example photographs, but they were adequate.

As a "field guide" I have an issue with the book's size and the durability of the cover. I think that the cover would become dogeared quickly if carried about, but it is strongly bound. I have used field guides with better covers. The format is a little large for a small camera bag, but it is light enough to carry.

I would recommend the guide for novice users of Nikon digital cameras. There are other better field guides available for more experienced camera users.

5.0 out of 5 stars digital field guide, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I found this book to be very useful having just purchased a Nikon D3100.The step by step instructions as well as the useful hints made handling the camera very much simpler and quicker.Very useful reading if new to DSLR photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book to have., 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I wanted a book that was easy to follow with good pictures and easy instructions this is it. Im am a total novice but as I move on this book will move with me. Good book to have.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Help!, 19 July 2012
Markie "marx1977" (hereandthere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have found this guide really useful in helping me understand the ins and outs of my camera. It's well written and very easy to understand making the use of the camera easier. The more I read it the better my camera work becomes and you can't ask for more than that!

3.0 out of 5 stars *-*-*Interesting book to read whether you own a Nikon D3100 camera of not*_*_*, 21 July 2011
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The camera itself is great, but like all cameras these days is somewhat lacking in clearly set out instructions as to how to get the most out of your DSLR... this book helps to fill in the gaps rather well.
I also found it of use in helping me to understand generically the best ways of getting the most out of my other, older cameras by following its clear, illustrated guide in how to take great photos by using different settings, field depth, colour filters, lenses etc; though this book deals exclusively with the Nikon D3100 the principles contained within apply to all cameras hence to me its appeal as an instructive missive and essential companion in my bag when I am out attempting to take shots that are not only interesting, but also competent in composition, content and appearance.
Its size has been carefully thought out too so its easily taken with you when your out and about, a definite advantage as the last thing you would want to be doing when you're 'snapping away' is carry a great big book!
So, to summarise, an essential companion to the Nikon D3100 and a useful instructive book to those with other DSLR's, as well as earlier digital cameras with adjustable settings.
Interesting, informative and something that camera manufacturers ought to read and take note of, so they can start to produce instruction manuals of this quality with their cameras and help those new to the field really get the most out of their new kit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I bought this guide to help me understand my D3100 and after reading reviews of simalar books available decided to chose this one and I'm glad I did. As a relative beginner to DSLRs and photography the guide has proved incredibly useful and has taught me things I'd never have discovered on my own.

The size is also perfect for fitting in your camera bag so it's always around in case you need to check anything.

The guide is well laid out and formulaic making it easy to thumb to what you're looking for. This combined with a good page layout and the colour pictures accompanying the information are also very useful when explaining how the different settings work/effect the photos.

There is also a section on compatable lenses and how they work/differ from each other which is good for anyone wanting to expand their lens collection.

Overall a good purchase which I'm sure will last and remain useful for a long time.

Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennis Thomas (Paperback - 3 Dec 2010)