on 20 December 2011
Like every other review, I can only reiterate what a wonderful and informative book this. If you are new to the Canon 550D SLR camera then this is a wealth of helpful information with examples and alternatives to give you results you will be pleased with. The easiest way to learn is to have the camera by you as you read through the pages, trying out things as you go along. I have searched for ages for a book that actually tells me how to use the camera rather than just telling me what each button and dial does. A must have for any budding photographer.
on 30 July 2011
I have just moved up from a semi - point and press camera to this Canon 550d, my first serious DSLR. This manual is a foolproof step by step guide to getting decent photo's and adds to the manual that comes with the camera. As I am new to this field of photography I'll reserve judgement on how long this guide will be useful but as a first book it's well worth the money and I can see me referring to it for some time to come. If like me you need your hand holding through the "tech" stuff you can't go far wrong. I hope this helps
on 26 February 2011
Essential guide for any amateur enthusiast just starting out like me, easy to read and follow with all the best advice about getting the best shots, and understanding your camera and all its functions and what they mean and what they do, would have been lost without this book. Thanks to Amazon and Charlotte K Lowrie
on 4 April 2011
This is very much a book that is for those people who want to know how to use everything on the Rebel T2i/550D.
So the bulk of it is for using the pre-settings on the camera.
I am only interested in using the camera on manual, and so a huge bulk of this book is unnecessary for my requirements and I'm more interested in a creative photography book that I bought along with this.
However, if you are interested in knowing how to use all of the pre-settings and how to get somewhere with the manual setting, then you can't go far wrong with this book. It tells you everything you need to know about every aspect of the camrea along with photographic examples of what each setting/techniques will result in. And if that is what you're looking for then this is the book for you.
on 31 January 2011
This is a brilliant book, so much better than the Instruction Manual that came with my camera. It explains everything in more detail, and it is easy to understand!
on 8 February 2011
great book,helped me understand the basics much eaiser than supplied manual,all i need now is too be brave and come of easy mode and enter manual mode
on 16 August 2012
I bought this "Field Guide" along with the "For Dummies" book as I had recently purchased a 550D. The Field Guide was intended to be kept in my camera bag, as it is a smaller format than the Dummies book but has more information than the camera manual. I am gradually working my way through the guide and am filling the many gaps in my knowledge. However, this process would have been accelerated if there had been more photos in the book - not the sort that show the effect of different ways of taking the photo, as there are sufficient of those, but pictures of the LCD screen, and what it should look like when I do X, Y or Z. It is described in the text, but it would have been a major improvement to have the screen illustrated at these critical points. Lowrie also refers to various menus that have not been explained earlier, and I seem to spend a lot of time leafing back, not finding what has been referred to and resorting to the index - that is just poor editing. So I won't be keeping this in my camera bag just yet; I still have to wade through the Dummies book and then I will choose!
on 4 October 2011
This is an excellent book, which goes into much more detail than the cameras's manual. Though written by an American author, presumably mainly for the American market, it is easy to adapt for use in the UK. Well worth investing in this if you want to get the most out of your SLR camera.
on 19 October 2010
I think that this book is an ideal supplement to the user manual with photos. Its non-technical and easy to understand
on 12 January 2011
This book is excellent and describes all the features of the camera in a very practical way. A great complement to the manual - includes step by step instructions alongside an explanation of the function being described.

Helps understand why the advanced features are included in the camera.