Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 September 2011
By the end of Chapter One, the number of technical errors I spotted led me to the conclusion I was wasting my time with this book (example page 4: the built-in microphone is labelled as a speaker in the photo!). This is not really a field guide at all, rather it seems like a collection of the author's personal opinions and a showcase for her own work. The technical details have not been properly checked and the book is way too bulky for use 'in the field'. Maybe the author should stick to what she does best - taking photographs! Book returned for refund and instead I bought David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS 60D, which is excellent.
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Canon 60D comes with a 300-page, well-written instruction manual in the box; so, what this "Field Guide" aims to do is to supplement Canon's efforts with additional explanation and discussion and it's generally successful in doing that (eg good sections on alternative lenses and on the advantages/disadvantages of RAW shooting) but if what you really want is just the crucial "how-to" bits then Canon's own manual will probably do that perfectly well. The level of advice (eg color space, histograms,Speedlites etc) is very thorough and aimed at experienced photographers - although the video section seems less well grounded. The photographs used as illustrations are rather a disappointment: functional rather than inspiring (it seemed to me there was an undue concentration on close-ups of flowers). Overall, the instruction manual supplied with the 60D may lessen this Guide's usefulness but it is still a worthwhile buy for the detail of explanation and discussion and one I will be dipping into for years.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll admit that I'm a fan of this series of camera guides, and this is a good addition to the range. I'm a dedicated Canon user, and have always found that the main weakness with buying one of their very fine cameras is that there's far too much to know about the camera than you can possibly know without a good guide. Even the most basic "amateur" or "pro-sumer" models are feature-packed bits of technology these days, and you've got to be working with it everyday to get to know all the little tricks. Enter this guide to the 60D. This is a fairly advanced camera, and the guide does a good job of bringing out all the features you'll need. The only drawback is that it doesn't make for an amazing quick reference guide - yes the features are in there, but you might find yourself leafing back and forwards through it looking for that half-remembered bit of how-to knowledge, while that perfect shot is slipping away from you. So it loses a star for that, but gains four for the depth of information it provides. A fair deal overall.
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Canon provide an excellent and authoritive manual for this camera, so it was not obvious why you would want another source of info.

I think this book is a bit more readable, and less experienced photographers would welcome browsing through this to get an outline view of the facilities, and then perhaps refer to the Canon manual to confirm the detail. It is also very useful to have another book around the house - in the dining room or loo, perhaps? I guess I am not the only one who oftens misfiles a manual and waste time trying to find it - in most cases this book would have answered my question easily.

So whilst not essential, if you are a keen user, well worth having this around.
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ordered this through Vine and it was perfect timing as I'd just received a Canon at Christmas. The book is, overall, excellent, and doesn't get too technical, overall. It's a little dry in places and the index is a little obstructive, but the advice is simple, easy to follow and has certainly helped me understand just how many features I never knew existed! Certainly far better than Canon's own documentation and, when you've spent that much on a camera, a few extra pounds on e decent guide is more than worthwhile. Recommended.
on 29 December 2011
This book did not match expectations. It started well with a good description of the camera controls then went rapidly downhill. I became increasingly irritated by proof reading errors and got the feeling that whole chunks had been transferred from her previous books then grafted in. This I believe has led to some minor errors and so I lost confidence in the rest. The author clearly knows her subject and there is a good deal of information in the book but I would not recommend it .
on 1 February 2013
Just got this two weeks ago to compliment my new 60d. Its ok but really needs a section, at the beginning , detailing how to access basic camera functions and more diagrams eg, of the mode dial to explain what its talking about. I had to use it in conjunction with the user manual to make sense of it. I bought it to not have to use the user manual which is of poor quality paper and may disintegrate at any time. In the end I referred to the "dummies" website and could have saved myself the purchase price.

Appears to be a standard text modified for whatever camera you have. I havent found it a great deal of use as it seems to be pitched at somebody who has already owned a dslr camera and thus if you know how one works why buy this?

It may be its just me but I prefer a guide to break me in slowly using one feature at a time and building upon that and this just doesn`t happen. Rather its a collection of chapters that appear well written but without knowledge of the basics and references to point you to the relevent page if you have forgotten something it had me scratching my head. It is after all a field guide.
on 29 January 2011
I wanted a book that I could quickly look up a feature and read a simple way of accessing it until I was familiar with the camera. I found the book a mixture of general photographic advice and a parody of the instruction manual supplied with the camera. It is not a book you can quickly find a reference and solution to a problem in.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having bought a canon camera this book was an excellent thing to get at the same time. I was clueless on all the Cannon 60D could achieve and even what all the various buttons and settings really did.

This book goes through how to set out to achieve various results using the camera, and helps expand your knowledge on what type of shots you want to take. It may not suit those who already understand photography to a high level or even understands cameras, but for me it was informative enough for me to gain a lot more knowledge which as helped me improve, as I can understand the tool I'm using more.

Overall, It's great for learning about the camera, and how to achieve various results using it, for those who aren't experts.
on 16 May 2013
This book is going to be a constant friend. It explained everything you ever want to know about this terrific camera. All it's functions are clearly explained and how to and when to use them. It's also enjoyable to read, in fact your camera skills can only improve. I brought the Kindle version and it was downloaded in about a minute. You just can't do better than that.