5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide
I found that the guide is extremely easy and clear reading making it a worthwhile guide as much for the beginner as it is for the more advanced photographer.
It is also a great guide to help enhance and improve photographic skills and I would personally take it with me whenever I'm out with my Nikon D5100. For me a truly good and valued book.
Published on 3 Oct 2011 by chdesigns

3.0 out of 5 stars Hesitant recommendation
Not used read or used it yet as I am not up to the assumed knowledge. Type set and illustrations look good
Published 1 month ago by Philip Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Two cameras in one., 26 Nov 2012
Best camera I have ever had, two cameras in one a good video camera and a good still camera with some good fixed Sean's added. Lots of menus to explore and if you get it wrong it tells you how to put things right, so you cannot take a bad photo with this camer even in near complete darkness as the iso goes up to 125,000 iso and without flash. And good value for your money, looking forward to summer with it. Top camera.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D5100 Digital field guide, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I did'nt find this as good as I thought I would. The guide seems to work on the principal that you already know your techy stuff, unfortunately I don't. On reflection Nikon for dummies would have been a better option for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for D5100 owners, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
My wife wanted a book which would both cover our new camera's controls and explain some basic principles of photography. This book does exactly that: it's divided in two parts, first being a detailed usage manual with additional hints for beginners, and the second part providing suggestions for taking different types of shots, and how each of the three parameters (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) affect the exposure, brightness, sharpness and depth of focus. It delivers all those details in a simple way, and we are very satisfied. Additional Nikon equipment (lenses, tripod) is also suggested. Of course, I am very satisfied with the camera itself, so that makes a great deal of the overall experience.

For beginners, this is a great book. Experienced photographers probably won't need it, though, as the camera's manual covers the first part of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide, 18 Aug 2012
G. Sutton (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I very useful easy to follow guide with clear photos and instruction. Fills in the gap between the quick guide you get in the box and the full manual on the disc which runs to hundreds of pages. As experience with the camera increases you probably refer to it less and less but for someone buying this camera from new, it's very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Field Guide Nikon D5100, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This item was delivered quickly, and as was advertised. I had read the preview and decided that, of all the guides on D5100s available, this one suited my needs most.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 8 Jan 2012
got this the other day and its a good book for learning more about the D5100
easy to read and very informative

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 13 Oct 2011
Mrs. J. Bugeja "blueteletubie" (London, Camberwell United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I am buying the Nikon D 5100 and thought I would do a bit of studying before hand by buying this book, well I think it's worth every penny, very descriptive and easily understood with many illustrations. As most camera's don't seem to come with FULL manuals now this is an excellent buy to go with what is a supreme camera. I ordered from Amazon and was with me within a couple of days. So it's 5 star for the book and 5 star for Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 21 Mar 2012
Rebecca Martin (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
A friend gave me a copy of this book for my birthday and I found it just what I needed. Informative and easy to read, this will certainly help me progress with my hobby. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D5100 Guide: Good or bad?, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I was given this guidebook as part of a Christmas present, along with a new Nikon D5100. This manual is well written and is a very worthwhile addition to the manual that came with the camera.
There is really only one criticism that I would make, which is that almost all the excellent images in the book were taken with the D5100 but through Nikon lens that are very expensive additions to the original camera. I understand that this shows possibly the versatility of the system, but I think the average D5100 user would be dismayed at the cost of the exta equipment that was at the disposal of the author.
The avarage user of this camera would I imagine like myself, be prepared to pay out say around 100 for an extra lens to extend their hobby but some of the lenses used for the books images cost up to three times more than the basic camera and lens kit!
That said, it does provide a challenge to obtain the same quality images, and this should develop a desire in the budding amateur to improve their skills.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing guide for users, 19 Oct 2012
J. J. Evans (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Let me begin with the good points. Delivery of the book was fast and efficient. That's it !!!!

Bearing in mind that this is a rather complex camera, the guide book sets out to show that it is an "entry level" piece of equipment, I'm afraid that I found the book to be badly written, full of those Americanisms that seek to present the author as a technical expert and the reader as being an expert also - or a dumbo beyond help. Never use one simple English word where several pseudo technical terms will do seems to be the rule of the day - but that is a not-uncommon American approach in my experience.

Who was it that said "In 1776 we left you people with a perfectly good and serviceable language and all you've done with it since then is to screw it up". Seriously, the guide is so full of jargon and assumed understanding of what the reader, as a newcomer to the camera, needs as to be almost useless.

Lest anyone runs off with the wrong impression, let me say that I worked as a senior manager in a Japanese micro-electronics company - where I handled the legal business. I have a university education in the areas of English and English law - so I have a reasonable capacity for understanding both English and technology.

I am afraid I feel that the book comes close to being a waste of money for those who expect it to be of practical assistance as a "field guide" without hours or days of study.

Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D5100 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennis Thomas (Paperback - 8 July 2011)
11.19