4.0 out of 5 stars If They Find You at All, Website Visitors are for Show - But Conversions are for Dough!, 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Convert!: Designing Web Sites to Increase Traffic and Conversion (Paperback)
I met the author at the Ken McCarthy seminar in 2008 mentioned in the introduction, so I was able to witness the birth of this book.

Ben Hunt has created an essential resource for any serious company or individual who needs a website that both attracts and satisfies a clearly defined audience, whether existing or new.

As an AdWords PPC Campaign Management Consultant since 2005, I have experienced constant frustration with business owners who can't or won't take their website seriously enough, by treating it as a constant work-in-progress to be continuously crafted and improved for their ideal visitor response.

I call such websites "concrete websites" for obvious reasons.

Many of these have unwittingly fallen victim to their own desires above those of their potential customers, or a website provider who has no clue at all about designing a site for both traffic, and conversions.

As Ben realised and addresses comprehensively in "Convert!" - without testing, tracking, and measuring both visitors and sales, any website will either fail or not reach its potential.

Since a large investment in money, time and expectation is usually at stake, it makes no sense to invest in an online presence which is doomed to failure right from the start.

If you're not being found when people look for you, or if all people do is leave as soon as they arrive, your website truly has no purpose.

Ben provides clear guidance on how to research, design, structure, and expand your website from the most important aspects of user engagement and profitability.

By constantly testing and improving the quality, quantity and responsiveness of your visitors, your business will be able to confidently expand its online presence, and increase the reach and performance of your products and services.

In today's world of short attention span, constant interruptions, search engine rankings, pay per click programs, online shopping, and the desire for instant gratification, the need for a book like Ben's has never been greater.

In it you'll find many before and after case studies, screen shots, workflows, and common sense things to try out on your own web pages.

Of particular interest to me were sections on:
- the "awareness ladder"
- user engagement
- calls to action
- benefits vs features
- designing for conversion
- "propositions"
- the prize for the visitor
- brevity and ease of use

The only area I felt he could increase his content on was the Google AdWords Pay per Click program, as a strategic driver of highly targeted and instantly available traffic-on-demand, which is the life-blood of rapid testing for both sales conversions and real-time market research.

However, since this is an enormous and ever-expanding body of knowledge in its own right, its omission was forgiveable, and there are several other excellent books dedicated to it.

Reading Ben's book gave me many ideas for my own business and website, and with all the notes I made in it, it will become an essential handbook for success, for me and my clients.

-- David Rothwell | Google AdWords Management Consultant

5.0 out of 5 stars What you might be looking for the (re) design of our website, 10 Aug. 2011
Gent (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I bought a copy of Ben Hunt's "Convert" because I know his work and because I had read his previous book "Save the pixel".

I was expecting what I actually was going to discover.

I read it. And then I ordered 3 copies. And later I ordered another 4 copies...I gave it to all of my team members and to the people I am working with in the re-design of our new website.

For a long time I had been wondering on whether there was a more scientific way on how to design websites in order to make them more effective to the purpose they were designed for in the first place (sales, lead generation etc.).

How does a web agency choose the look-and-feel, the information architecture, the navigation layers etc.

Ben Hunt explains that the "best guess" approach, which is the common approach, is not the best possible approach. That there is a better approach, that of Multiplicity, that he explains how to implement step by step in the book.

There is a very close relationship between site content design and market segment that is being addressed. Hence more business opportunities can be exploited and make the site more profitable with the right design.

With "Convert" one learns how to design starting from the purpose of the website in order to find out the right design.

It is a highly useful book non only to designers but especially to small on-line business owners interested in increasing their ROI.

5.0 out of 5 stars a site that does not convert visitors to buyers is wasted, 12 Jun. 2013
I bought this book initially on Kindle and was fascinated by the insights into web design I was building as I read the book. Kindle is great for many things but sometimes you want to find sections in a book or compare the illustrations and examples. They are not always on the same page as the copy that describes it.

I am now back to buy the paperback version so I more easily use it as a work book ad reference material. The paper version means I can flick back and forward to cross reference and copy through issues better.

Okay this means I end up with two versions of the same work but that is not a problem for me as I know it is worthwhile.

If you are involved in web design directly you need this book You WILL get more referrals for the new work if you can incorporate these design changes. More referrals mean more work for less hassle and higher prices for your work.

If you are hiring a web designer you need this book even more to make sure you do not waste your money on building a site that will not do what it want it to do. The book does also give great examples of how individual pages work best when laid out properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect convertion optimizing book., 4 Jan. 2012
frederik (Humlebæk, denmark) - See all my reviews
This book have helped me alot in my daily work, to make better selling websites for my clients. This have given me great feedback from my customers. I have just one think to say: Buy this book if you are into online sales or website owner of some kind.

Best Regards
Frederik Boysen
Denmark

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 11 Nov. 2013
The approach of awareness ladder has been an eye opener to me. I did get very positive result from my websites (shop4mama.com and slimwear.nl) after i applied the principles of this book. The customers are happy too as they can find what they need much faster than before (with just enough detail as they want).
I would never know how much small details would make the difference for getting attention and keeping the customers focused. As the book says, it is a continuous process to improve a web site, so i will keep this book for future reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 15 Jan. 2015
Amazon Customer (Aquitaine and Oxford) - See all my reviews
Very good. Expert. Professional. Well written and structured. Useful. Relevant.
I am echoing the comments I have made about Tim Ash's book Landing Page Optimisation - also recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 9 Jan. 2013
D. Rootham (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this to enhance my skills as a website designer. Whilst some things I already knew it is packed with new ideas and information which I have found useful.

Convert!: Designing Web Sites to Increase Traffic and Conversion