Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 January 2011
Jean Donaldson writes in an easy to understand way. You could certainly use this book and follow it step by step to train basic obedience behaviours securely without punishment, but that's obvious!
As a dog trainer myself specialising in positive, motivational clicker training, I love how Jean provides practical, realistic tips on achieving what you want- I chuckled at some of her comments throughout, as she forewarned about the pitfalls of the human trainer, who might think they are too good, who forges ahead in the exercises, skipping foundation training, only to find the lack of these behaviours which underpin what comes later! (I could see myself and several of my fellow competitors having just this problem!!)
This is one of the best books I have read to date on basic obedience training (and I have an extensive personal dog training library!).
on 3 June 2011
This is one of the best training books I own. It breaks everything down into easily manageable chunks (for the owner not the dog) and tells you when to move on to the next level. I've found it very useful when training my working sheepdog, an excellant aid in addtion to training classes.
on 18 February 2011
This is a brilliant training book by the excellent authority Jean Donaldson.

She employs only kind dog training methods and has a wonderful understanding of how our dogs tick, always considering that they do not speak English but do have their own way of communicating. Highly recommended.
on 14 June 2010
The latest offering from this respected behaviourist and dog trainer, this book sets out to help the pet owner teach their dog basic good manners in a positive, fun way, providing a step-by-step guide to each exercise and its development through several stages of competence. It's easy to follow, explaining clearly each step of the process, when and where to reward, how to build up duration, how and when to add a cue and how to decide when to push on to the next step.

Donaldson's aim with this book is to demystify the training process, to help dog owners understand that training takes time and effort on their part and to encourage them to put in the number of repetitions necessary to develop solid behaviours, and to provide a fail-safe guide to attaining the end results dog owners would like from their pets.

There is a 2 ½ hour DVD included, which shows how to train each exercise as well as some of the pitfalls along the way.
on 20 October 2012
This book is well written and well laid out. I am going to train as a trainer of people to train their dogs. There are no books out there that address this, but this book and especially the DVD with it will be very useful. It shows well how she deals with teaching and correcting and observing the owners. Be aware that the DVD is American and will probably not play on your TV, but it will play on your computer.
on 13 July 2015
I have spent a year trying different trainers, books, methods and had reached the point of giving up and handing my dog over to a professional trainer for two months. My breed association persuaded me to keep him because they were worried it would risk harming his beautiful temperament.

Jean Donaldson gives a gradual achievable programme supported by a video where she demonstrates all the techniques with a class of different types of dogs and owners. It is not a class of little puppies. They are bigger dogs who behave a lot more like my 15 month Irish Terrier which is re-assuring.

There is clear advice and recommendations to keep the training on track. We have gone back to basics, using all the things we have learnt to date but making the behaviours accurate and reliable.

I have the kindle version which supplies a link to download the video and worksheets from the web. The video is about 2 hours long and covers all the chapters.

I am very happy with this purchase and recommend it
on 8 March 2012
This book is very well written and easy to understand. It gives clear instructions and the best thing is the methods work well with training my quite wilful terrier. I can happily recommend it. Thank you.
on 16 November 2013
The author warns that the sort of person who would persevere with this book would be a fanatic. She's right. There's not enough time in the world. No doubt her methods work if you adhere to it strictly ... I'm an ex military dog handler and I found the discipline required for myself was too much.
on 8 August 2012
Unlike Donaldson's Culture clash, this is a model of clear systematic writing which takes you through all the steps of basic training. The DVD is a useful supplement though doesn't always quite match the text eg the DVD doesn't show you at what point to bring in the verbal commands once each behaviour has been achieved. It doesn't do pulling on leash either and the book has barely two pages on it. This would have been useful as would demonstrations of teaching fetch or (in my dog's case) dealing with aggressive behaviour or other problems. Nevertheless, you won't find a better more insightful book than this for getting the basic behaviours well established.
on 16 February 2013
This is an excellent read and should be read by everyone intending to get a dog or who has a dog. Jean Donaldson is one of the top dog trainers and behaviourists in the world and her book is a MUST READ. A trainer's bible:-)