5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Out There
Published on 6 Sep 2011 by Jonathan Posner

3.0 out of 5 stars lightroom 3
perhaps it is that i do not have enough background knowledge, but i am finding this book really difficult to follow as its very technical .....
Published on 21 Aug 2011 by daisy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Out There, 6 Sep 2011
Jonathan Posner (LONDON, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lightroom 3: Streamlining Your Digital Photography Process (Paperback)
I've long been disillusioned with the huge books on both Lightroom and Photoshop written by the current guru (who I believe also trials the products for Adobe). I kept falling asleep when tackling them, never getting beyond page 32. The reason? At best, they're dry textbooks; at worst they can simply considered to be glorified manuals. Most unforgivably (in my case) they probably prevented me from making the long-needed switch from Photoshop to Lightroom.

With Nat Coalson's book, that mindset of dread changed in a heartbeat. This is really a fabulous example of how the best writers can make the daunting prospect of learning new software from scratch so straightforward - and in this case so readable too. As an example, I often find myself picking up this book simply to re-read a chapter here and there; I certainly wouldn't be doing this if the interface wasn't so inviting and friendly. The ultimate test for any 'textbook', in my opinion, is whether you actually want to read it in bed. Coalson's book passes on all counts (and yes, I know I should get out more.)

For a start, then, this book is elegant. A huge amount of care and thought has gone into its structuring, with clever colour-coding throughout its contents. In addition, Nat Coalson is an accomplished photographer in his own right and its refreshing to see his splendid work appear in examples throughout the book, but never intrusively.

Then there's the way that Coalson describes the software. If, like me, you consider Lightroom in its current incarnation to be the most revolutionary photo-editing software for nigh on twenty years then this writer does this notion full justice. There's an easy clarity in his writing style so that you never glaze over when reading about a (relatively) complex topic. I turned each page with satisfaction, knowing that when I did I'd "got" what the writer had just explained. Crucially, unlike the 'standard work' I allude to above, you always feel like Coalson's talking to you, explaining the reasons he does what he does. It's nice to read books like this and get personal opinions as well as facts.

Okay, so some of you might think that I've got a bit carried away in my praise for this book. But the reason for this is as simple as it is important. For just as having a bad teacher at school can put you off an entire subject for life, so the opposite is equally true. What many of us don't realise is that the opportunities for experiencing this kind of thing in adult life are few and far between, As a competent photographer, brought up on Photoshop, I'm only now painfully aware of how many hundreds of hours I've wasted in post-production because I didn't go over to Lightroom sooner (though that's another story.) Yes, I'd picked up Lightroom books in the past but, like I say, always felt daunted by them. How I wish I'd found this one sooner.

So if you're thinking of jumping into the truly amazing and liberating program that is Lightroom, make this book your essential purchase - it's easily worth the cost of the software itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Crystal Clear Introduction to Lightroom 3, 23 Nov 2011
Mr. D. Ash "Literatus" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're looking for a readable, step-by-step guide in which everything is explained as clearly as possible, this is the one. Every detail of Lightroom 3 is covered. The information is presented logically and is broken up into easily-digestible chapters. No explanation is too long or too complicated. The frequent reminders in the margins of Lightroom's keyboard shortcuts are very useful too. I'm very glad I bought this and am getting to grips with the program very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent step-by-step book, 13 Sep 2010
Having spent the last few years working closely with Lightroom users on various web forums, and writing three Lightroom books (Adobe Lightroom - The Missing FAQ series) myself in that time, I'm well aware of the information new users need when they're getting started.

In Lightroom 3: Streamlining Your Digital Photography Process, Nat has achieved an excellent balance between being simple enough for new users without being condescending, but also providing enough detail without overwhelming the reader.

When any of my readers need a step-by-step introduction to Lightroom, this is always the book I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 3: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process by Nat Coalson, 29 Nov 2011
J. E. Clark (Anglesey UK) - See all my reviews
Being new to Lightroom but having experience with photoshop and several other brands of digital photo pocessing software I thought I'd be OK just getting on with it and learning by trial and error, which is what I did for the first few months. However I realised I needed a bit of help with some aspects of lightroom. I bought this book and hey presto it's all there within a day or two my workflow improved and I found things on lightroom in the book that I may never have found otherwise. If like me you've several years experinces with Photoshop or are a complete beginner you'll find this invaluable for tips and instruction, I particularly like the short cut tips in the margins. It's published by Wiley which should be enough and at the price it is it's a bargain.
Jim Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 3 book, 7 Feb 2014
First impressions are it is a well written book and easy to follow, I have had the software for some time but never had the confidence to use it. This book has given that confidence. I look forward to producing great images with my newly acquired skills..

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Practical, 2 April 2013
Chose this book because it does not feature "folksy" quirky language which can be really annoying. Logical layout and will be a real boon to those coming to grips with Lightroom 3 after program such as iPhoto or Picasa

4.0 out of 5 stars lightroom 3 streamlining digital photography process book., 27 Dec 2012
Great product good value and guide to learn lightroom3. Still have a lot to read but full of great instruction to get to grips with the different digital editing of files.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 27 Dec 2012
the adobe photoshop light room 3 I ordered the student version by mistake I have tried to find out if I can up grade but the phone no on line is never available I havent used ths item yet I would like to know if I can up grade DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars lightroom 3, 21 Aug 2011

Lightroom 3: Streamlining Your Digital Photography Process
Lightroom 3: Streamlining Your Digital Photography Process by Nat Coalson (Paperback - 16 July 2010)
26.99