on 1 November 2012
Back in 1998 had the privilege to attend a training workshop by David Sibbet. I was highly sceptical about the concept sketching out ideas in serious business meetings, but since that training I've used visual techniques with dozens of clients and had quite extraordinary results. So, when I saw Visual Meetings in a book store I had to buy a copy.

You'll find this book useful if you're finding it hard to get agreement when it comes to problem solving, creative ideas and decisions. The author clearly explains the power of visualisation and using sketches for interaction - whether its on a napkin, flip chart or whiteboard. For those who think they can't draw (like you and me) he also explains how to pick up a pen and doodle your way into other people worlds. What a great way to create rapport and joint understanding.

You'll find some very good material in the book and if you approach it a bit like a workshop in print you will get a lot from it.

Unlike many business books this one gets the message across with plenty of graphics (as you might expect) and concise prose.

Highly recommend.
on 21 June 2011
I think that this book is fabulous.

Why? I was trained in David's methods and tools in 2001. Since then, I've used them with groups of all sizes from England, where I'm based, to New Zealand, the Middle East, Singapore, the USA and all over Europe. This stuff really works.

A visual meeting is quite a different experience from a normal meeting - it's shorter, more memorable, more participative, lots of fun and incredibly productive. Overall, in my experience, visual meetings are far more effective. This inspirational book covers a huge range of tools and methods.

Another review talks about this book being basic as 'it's a beginners guide to drawing'. Well, guess what? Visual meetings mean just that. Visuals. Graphics. Lines, shapes even people, all drawn to support the work of the group. Most people don't have the confidence to be able to draw large pictures or even lines (!) in public in front of groups. Yes, this means that being confident drawing lines, circles etc is important and needs practice. Without confidence, you won't be able to use the really cool stuff in the 99% of the book that isn't about basic drawing.

I would commend this book to everyone, from staff and managers in commercial organisations, to teachers in schools, to government agencies and NGOs.
on 28 June 2012
I loved this book.
It has some wonderful ideas and helps prove that you do not need to be a van Gough to accomplish effective visuals in meetings or the classroom.
My only complaint is that it does try to reinforce the same points again and again.
on 2 December 2013
This book is packed with ideas about how to do graphic facilitation with lots of examples and templates. Having seen it in action ( not by me) and been really impressed by how it works I was keen to try to learn. There's not many books which tackle this but this book does and does it well. I'm now itching to get started and use these approaches in the meetings I attend. All you need is paper, pens and some simple ideas about how to represent ideas. This book gives you that help and confidence to have a go yourself. Excellent!
on 18 October 2013
Well I had high hopes for this book - I thought it was going to be a recipe book regarding meeting strategy. It has some useful insights - but not enough to justify the price. It seemed more aimed at visual artists wanting to capture the proceedings with some snazzy artwork than someone interested in facilitating a call to action. Shame.
on 21 September 2013
On one level this book shares some great tips and guidance on using easy-to-apply tips to get even the most non-artist drawing.

On another level it is one of the best books you will find on how to facilitate meetings, people and ideas - and is truly an outstanding book from a seasoned, experienced practitioner who is open, candid and profound.

I was compelled to write this after seeing some of the other disparaging reviews posted here.

If you are serious about the business of creating and selling ideas, discovering insights and want to make the most of your potential and others - buy this book.
on 8 March 2016
I was on a course that David Sibbet facilitated in Berlin a few years back. He made a huge impression on me and I was delighted to see this book being published. Visual Meetings is a great resource and will give you a great introduction to the fields of Visual Thinking and Design Thinking. I grew up on a farm where you could see your progress on front of you. In the modern office and work environments there are some jobs where there is no physical evidence of your progress - eg working on your laptop all day and feeling no sense of work being achieved. Visual meetings helps visualise work for everyone to see.
on 3 January 2013
Nicely mapped out and instructive book. A useful reference book for visual meetings. This guy has been there and done so you know he's talking in practical terms.
on 26 January 2013
Lots of tools for better meetings, very visual and easily adaptable. Recommend to all facilitators and consultants who arrange workshops
on 19 February 2011
Possible the single worst book I've ever bought to help with my business. I though it would teach me some visual techniques to assist with fairly boring meetings but unfortunately it's a beginners guide to drawing. Here is a paraphrased quote from the book "tape a piece of paper on the wall and go through some one strokes on the paper...after a couple of excercises try again with your eyes closed. Combining them is when it begins to feel like music". Please, this is awful! Do something better and buy The Talent Code, or Bounce, or Resonate to improve things at work.