on 9 September 2010
I'm new at developing for the iPad so I jumped at this book.

I've given it 3 stars, but if I could I would give it both 5 stars and 2 stars as follows:

*****
5-stars as an introduction to the iPad technology and development philosophy. I think it does this really well - summarising what's really different about the platform. Perhaps buy the book for all this good stuff.

2-stars as a programming guide for the iPad. This is just a personal thing, but I don't get on with the writing style (lots of entertainment and jokes when I needed facts and advice and most of all logical explanation). In places it tells you nothing;- authors - if you're reading this, please review your descriptions where you just describe a thing using the same words, such as describing the menu item "Lock the simulator" with the illuminating explanation "Locks the simulator" without telling us what 'locking' is. I still don't know. Maybe I'm just a Dummy and there's no hope for me. There's lots of that sort of stuff and it's frustrating. Then suddenly we're into coding, and (as a seasoned C programmer and educator) I found it really hard to understand the explanations of all the code examples. Maybe it's just really hard to describe. Maybe I'm getting old!

I really hope someone else comes along with a fully 5* review, as there is clearly a lot of effort gone into this book, and as the first reviewer I don't want to damn this book because it's helped to inspire me, but it's left me wanting with the actual coding. As I said - as iPad inspiration this is great and it's worth buying for that. As a programming / development guide, I'm still looking for help.
on 11 February 2016
I used this book to make an iPad app for my final project at uni. I got an A so the book definitely worked :)
on 26 April 2016