5.0 out of 5 stars Leading the way for change

Published on 15 Nov. 2011 by Matthew Leitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Strangely self-contradictory, 15 Nov. 2011
Matthew Leitch (Epsom, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought I saw some promise in the blurb and chapter headings of this book, but unfortunately it turned out not to be my cup of tea. I really, really don't like pseudo-psychological material presented uncritically or solid research used as evidence in favour of points that go far beyond anything the research supports. The other thing that didn't work for me is the self-contradictory approach of the book. On the one hand it attacks business books and 'theorising' as bad. On the other hand it theorises wildly using the sort of language I associate with sociologists.

I do agree that some great strategies can emerge from finding individuals who are succeeding while most are failing, and working out what the winners are doing. However, the mechanisms and limitations of this need to be examined in much more depth to be convincing. What about situations where nobody has found a solution? What about situations where the solution is not transferable to others?

1.0 out of 5 stars very hard going, 11 Dec. 2011
P. Bradshaw "paulbrad" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's taken me a month to get through this book - not because it's long (it isn't at 156 pages) just because it's so dull. I really tried to take in what the author was trying to say but the text is a major turn-off. I am an educationalist and have heard great things about Michael Fullan and his work on "Change" but sadly, this didn't do anything for me. To put it bluntly, it was quasi mumbo-jumbo with new terms and phrases I had never come across before like "simplexity" and others which I found awkward and contrived, like the "disease of distraction" and "multi-tasking is subject to error".
There may be other readers out there who lap up this kind of stuff - but quite honestly, give it a miss or borrow from a library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just another book on change leadership?, 20 Jan. 2012
Maggie (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a change consultant I have read more books on change leadership than I've had hot dinners. The introduction to this one promised that it would be different and in some respects it is. I warmed to the author's theme on change being something you do and learn from rather than relying on academic theory to show the way. The practical and pragmatic approach, the modelling of desirable behaviours, the need for empathy, are all fundamental to my own approach. However, the author could not resist slipping back into theoretical jargon much of the time and making numerous references to other books on change theory. I would have liked to see more practical and real examples of his approach in practice - some are included but they are limited, with one or two exceptions, to the education sector and unlikely to chime easily with leaders in industry, for example, even though they are relevant. I also noticed that all the jacket testimonials for the book are from people in the education sector and are, I would imagine, colleagues or acquaintances of the author in what is a fairly closed professional environment. If you are a collector of such books you will probably find something new here and I would recommend it to clients, but it is not really ground-breaking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 29 Dec. 2011
AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perhaps I should have read his other books first, but this book seems rather empty to me. It's not that the ideas and messages in the book are invalid or wrong, but they are repeated over and over in only slightly different ways.

I like the ideas presented, that by acquiring the right skills you will be enabled to lead and motivate people through genuine change in a positive way; that by being careful who you listen to and mix with you will heighten your own effectiveness and progress; that confidence gives you an edge that cannot be got any other way - and so on. But these message are drummed home in various relentless ways at some length making the book rather like one of those awful TV shows where things are stated and re-stated over and over at great length after each ad-break.

So, some good stuff in here, but probably not enough to justify the price. Get it as a library book if you want the best deal. Oh, and I applaud the use of recycled paper (I assume that's what it is) but found the off-white colour of the paper didn't provide very good contrast for low-light reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this book., 30 Nov. 2011
B. Bello (Stourton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit I am conflicted about this book.

It was not what I expected at all, some of it I found insightful, other bits left me somewhat confused with what looked to me like lots of self justification without any sustaining research. I was expecting a more substantial dialogue with examples supporting the authors view.

It might be me not being able to grasp the content or follow the concepts, but I was left feeling it was a book written to gain sales on a hot topic rather than to assist in a difficult process.

2.0 out of 5 stars Jargon Heavy, 18 Jan. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit that I really struggled with this book. I've been reading around the subject for a while and whilst I agree that organisational change management can be a difficult art/science to master, this isn't really the book that will help you to understand it any better. Although it's not a particularly lengthy volume, it's hard going at times because of the amount of jargon and buzzwords you'll find within. It can make it difficult for the text to flow together and several times I found myself losing the thread of the discussion and having to re-read sections. Perhaps academics might find the language more accessible, but for myself I didn't find the book as useful as I had hoped.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful points lost in the noise, 19 Feb. 2012
Flyboy (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is real potential in this topic, it is really unusual to find a book about change leadership rather than change management and there are some really incitful observations to be had here. There is also a lot of poorly discussed opinion dressed up a fact with very thin evidence. I am currently studying for a PhD in social psychology and work in an industry that is shuddering its way through significant change so am pretty familiar with the subject matter. The book is written from an educational transformation perspective so don't be too surprised by this. The book is also very thinly evidenced by academic standards containing a smattering of recent references (mostly 2009 ish) - it is not a academic piece, it is a slim management book. The attempt to justify assertions is weak at best and the book would have been better off (and significantly shorter) without them.

I found the anti abstract theory rant at the beginning frankly irritating and the underlying heroic assumption that just doing, adapting other's practice and learning would be good enough is not particularly strongly supported. Having said all that, the book does have some nuggets of practice that should provoke some reflection in the reader - these are mostly articulating common sense but sometimes you need that pointing out e.g. respect the implementation dip!

All in all: topic has potential, execution somewhat weak but if you need something to skim read on the train then go ahead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Contradictory advice, 16 Feb. 2012
Amazon Customer "MjD" (Edinburgh, Scotland. { Kobe, Japan. Saipan. Alabama.}) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most By: Michael Fullan is not completely satisfactory. Change Management is a subject that interests me significantly as I work as Project Manager in the Business Change dept of a large global financial institution. Therefore I have read & studied Change Management to a certain extent.
None of the topics covered in this book are particularly new or revolutionary. Many of the ideas make sense however it's not always easy to put idealised theory into practice in a real world situation. People are not always predictable and easy to convince - motivation & empathy while nice ideals don't always work in the real world.
The book covers topics such as: Practice drives Theory, Act with purpose, Empathy, Motivation, learning, knowledge & Simplicity. The biggest problem I have with this book is the contradictions - he espouses how practice is better than theory before putting across that his theory is the best and is what we should practice. He should have listened to his own advice good advice in the preface - Quote "the most effective leaders use practice as their fertile learning ground. They never go from theory to practice or research evidence to application".

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 18 April 2013
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried repeatedly to get into this book, in part inspired by its chapter headings, however while some of the information is insightful the rest is somewhat difficult to follow.

I am afraid this is not a book I can recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leading the way for change, 20 Oct. 2012
Amex Angel "Lou" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a gem. In a world that is continually changing, where cultures and societies clash this book helps the reader to understand what motivates people and organisations. Michael Fullan has made the psychology behind change easy for the reader to understand. His writing style has enabled the reader to move easily through the process of change, he clearly sets out each chapter and each topic flows swiftly into the next. Its simplistic message, clarification of strategies and use of examples helps us identify the difference between pressure and support, how to cope with change and more importantly maintain that change. An important book for those of us who wish to progress up the corporate ladder and bring the workforce with us.

Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most
Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most by Michael Fullan (Hardcover - 26 Aug. 2011)