5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 8 Oct 2010
eleftheria "Althea" (Tsotili, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused - and Start Standing Up for Yourself (Paperback)
This is a remarkable book. I don't think I can ever be the same after having read it. You might think, 'this is the same stuff all over again, ' but no. The author leaves no stone unturned , in order to help you deal with the devastating consequences of trying to please. I felt so angry that I was literally unable to go on with some of my old tendencies to give in and cater to people that were taking me for granted. If you fall into the category of the nice girl, buy this book! I sent it to a friend, and she is finding it a life saver too. Many thanks to Beverly Engel, for her empowering work.

5.0 out of 5 stars good kick-start for a change, 12 Feb 2011
I must admit that I had tears in my eyes when I read the first pages. She is asking if you can recognize yourself on her list of behaviors. I recognized myself in so many, it was the first time I saw them all listed. It was scary but a relief in the same time. I just found myself saying: yes I always do/think/say that, yes that's how I react, yes yes yes. Never before did I have all black on white in front of me. She brought it to the point, I couldn't put those issues in words before for my shrink. And now all my problems were listed here. With that in hand you can start, alone or with someone, but you can start to change, you start to see what the issues are and where they might come from. It has helped me a lot, especially that she gives suggestions of where it might come from. I keep it as my self help bible with a thousand tags inside. I definitely recommend this book, it has helped me a lot and is incredibly well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars BREAKING FREE, 21 Jan 2012
Anthony Warren "Business Mentor" (Thames Valley, UK) - See all my reviews
For too long women are constrained by cultural cues and directives to be people pleasing instead of being true to them selves. This book calls things as they are to free women from these restraints, and enable them to regain their power. My wife found it very useful for rejecting the quiet mouse persona often projected onto women.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Girl Syndrome, 20 Nov 2011
This book is a 'must read' for all mature girls to help them develop or claim back their confidence, learn coping skills and avoid getting into abusive relationships.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great selp help book, 12 Sep 2013
Great book for the serious self help reader/advocate. I particularly likened this one and can trace things suggested right back to my childhoom, school days, early, through to late employment and especially, childhood and the years as a "wife". A must for all downtrodden, shy, easily manipulated children. Would also recommend it be read along with "The highly sensitive person".

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 May 2014
I cried when I read parts of this book, as it felt like the author was talking directly to me, about all the problems I've had with men in my life. I was brought up to be a 'nice girl' who put her own needs last, and was willing to give a lot in relationships, trusting that I'd get the same treatment back - when things went wrong I just thought I'd been unlucky and met the wrong blokes. I now realise that, sadly, my own behaviour is sabotaging my chance of being happy. I've got an attraction to invulnerable men, the type who want an undemanding and unassertive partner, and I'll never find happiness unless I wise up and change my approach. Beverley Engel's analysis really hit home. She gives excellent advice and clear steps for how to start remedying this problem, with examples of abusive situations which I recognise from personal experience. It's not easy to change your patterns mid-life, but this book is a great starting point - for me, it was better than 'Women Who Love Too Much' by Robin Norwood, although that is also a useful book for those in unhealthy relationships.

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 27 July 2013
when i read this I saw a woman i know, and her sad, isolated childhood,- and her need to connect being constantly thwarted. theres lots in here to empower those who turn round and realise after decades that they have not being living "their" life at all. worth buying for the women you really love unconditionally, and for the men who have contributed to that damage. (also for fathers of daughters)

4.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to be very honest ., 7 April 2014
A book that packs a punch and isn't always an easy read. If you think you are expect no pandering and excuses.
Work hard and you will learn

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but you can't read a solution, 9 Jan 2011
A good book and helpful for relection rather than planning. Courage and solutions have to come from real help- read the advice and talk to someone you can trust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 16 Dec 2013
I haven't read through the book yet but I have read a chapter so far and have skimmed through and it looks pretty good, great chapters and looks so valuable and high content, I can't wait to read the rest of this book!!