Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2010
Having recently purchased a Nikon DSLR D3000, and wanting to get more from it than just using automatic modes, I set about to find a good book for complete DSLR beginners.

I found this book to be written in easy to understand language, jargon is broken down so you can understand what it all means and gently pushes you along to want to take 'creative control' and just mess about with the settings, but understand the settings so you can begin to create the look you want.

If you really are a complete beginner and have moved up from your point and click automatic to the world of DSLR, then I would recommend this book to you. If you already have a good idea what the settings are and know about fstops etc, then it might be a bit too basic and no doubt other publications that go into more technical details will be more appropriate.
on 1 May 2010
I got my City and Guilds in Photography more than ten years ago, film cameras were the norm. Hours in smelly darkrooms to produce an image good enough to be used.
Then digital came along, I resisited for a while then got a hybrid as this was all I could afford recently retired, it was adequate but not a real camera, my photography waned to just the usual holiday, which was rare, and christmas shots.
So when that camera gave up the ghost I got myself a real camera, a Nikon D3000, then discovered just how much I had forgotten and also the extent that technology had moved on.
The booklet was of limited use, I needed to relearn and in basic easy to read and follow instructions, someone recommended the Dummies range of books, so I got one.
It is easy to read and follow so that a complete novice can grasp a working understanding of the camera and also reawaken long forgotten techniques of photography for people like me, perfect, I have read it twice now and still refer to it on occasions.
Best book I have bought in ages.
on 13 February 2011
If you are a complete SLR novice, purchased the D3000 camera to take better pictures, but don't know how to use the many features then you were just like me and this book is what you need.

The American author takes you through a gradual learning curve, chapter by chapter, in a clear and logical manner. The colour pictures are extremely useful for demonstrating such areas as shutter speed and depth of field etc - things which I did not have a clue about before reading this book.

A few weeks after buying this book I am now taking better photographs and in danger of looking like I know what I am doing! The Dummies series of books are great and this one has proven to be a very useful addition to the collection.
on 11 May 2010
Absolutely Brill...just what I needed to help me through ....Excellent Book...well worth the money !!! Would buy others in the "Dummies" section .
on 2 October 2010
This book really is a must for all those stepping into the world of digital slr's. It will tell you everything you need to know about the Nikon D3000 right from the basics to the more advanced.
on 15 April 2011
I just bought a new Nikon D3000 and I wanted to learn how to use it. I really liked this book, not only because it introduced me to the basic settings of the camera, but also it explains the basic concepts of digital photography. It is very well written, good explanations and nice images used for examples.

In conclusion, if you are a total amateur this book is worth buying. If you have some exposure on the field probably consider something else.
on 21 March 2011
The dummies guide for the Nikon is an excellent guide book for new or not so new users of the Nikon. It is written in a non technical language but encompasses all the important facts that allow you to use the camera to its full effect.
It is written for the young and not so young, experianced or not so experianced as all the Dummies guides are. Highly recommended for people who don't know an F stop from a macros.
on 4 April 2011
ive been using this book as my 'bible' really easy to use and understand. i pick it up and read a few pages here and there, to eventually get full use and understanding of my camera.
on 7 March 2013
Learnt more from this book than reading the software literature that came with the camera. Clear and concise information and easily digested, esp as I am new to using a DSLR camera. Recommended reading for anyone who is new to photography, and plenty of versions to cover most makes and type of cameras available on the market. Great delivery time too.
on 24 May 2011
Knowing very little about photography this is a great book that explains the concepts of taking a good photo along with the D3000 technical details. I doubt it would be any use to a seasoned photographer, but it certainly helped me a lot. I found having the camera to hand helps the information sink in.