on 12 February 2011
Summary: I recommend anyone involved in web marketing and analytics to buy this book. Even though I was familiar with much of the contents, I still learned a great deal.
Google Analytics, Google's free website analytics software, is easy to install, configure and use.
Despite this ease-of-use, organisations that install the software are often not making the most of its potential. This is where, 'Performance Marketing with Google Analytics' comes in.
The book covers the following areas:
- An overview of the digital landscape
- How to use data to drive marketing improvements
- The importance of Goals and Strategy
- How Google Analytics works and how to install it
- The various ways in which you can use Google Analytics to conduct analysis
- Using the software to improve your website
- Applying Google Analytics to Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Search Enging Optimisation, Display Advertising, Social Media Marketing, Email Marketing and even offline marketing
There's also a brief but useful section at the end of other resources you can turn to.
Throughout the book, the authors provides 'real world' examples of how Google Analytics can be used. They talk you through different scenarios and how others are making the most out of the software.
I also like the fact that the authors (there are 3) introduce wider topics such as 'Website Optimisation'. This draws your attention to the fact that Analytics cannot be seen in isolation and should be part of a wider effort to improve your online presence.
The only warning I would make is that, at times, the book can be a little bit technical. It's not a proper, in-depth techie manual but it could lose people new to the field. However, for the majority of people at Intermediate or Advanced levels, this will not cause you any problems.
Yes, there are other books on web analytics and Google Analytics specificially. Nevertheless, as a broad, engaging read, this book will help you get much more out of Google Analytics. No matter how easy you think it already is :)