5.0 out of 5 stars High five this Umbraco guide rocks
Published on 22 Jun 2011 by Ismail

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many versions out of date
Most people are installing v7 of Umbraco - which is significantly different to the version this describes (eg MVC). This book would need a complete revision to be valuable
Published 22 days ago by GeorgeBR

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many versions out of date, 21 Jun 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Umbraco User's Guide (Paperback)
I've just jumped on the Umbraco bandwagon and thought this book would be a good guide - How disappoint was I... It just didn't go into enough details about some of the features and left me with more questions than it provided answers.

I think I'll stick with Umbraco TV and the other Umbraco resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars High five this Umbraco guide rocks, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Umbraco User's Guide (Paperback)
I would consider myself to be a seasoned Umbraco user having been using it since 2005, however even I found many useful hints and tips in this excellent book. If you are starting out with Umbraco this book is a must as the authors are very experienced Umbraco practioners with years of Umbraco experience between them. I wish I had this book to guide me when I first started out many moons ago.

One thing to note the book does not cover the really advanced topics like customising the backend but there is plenty to chew on for the beginner and upto intermediate user.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only at second chapter and hit a big snag..., 16 Jun 2012
Mr. SJ Davey (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Umbraco User's Guide (Paperback)
The guide seems to use a sample project called Runway...that you can no loger download. It's been replaced by other starter kits.

So, given that in this second chapter, the authors have jumped around like a scalded cat, missed out contextual details that require one to do a bit of guessing what particular part of the admin site they're talking about and generally demonstrated that they're not professional authors, the fact that I can't even follow along what they're saying in the same project is going to make this a struggle.

Inerestingly they seem to have updated the install (first chapter) to account for the new starter kits but have failed to update the rest.

Well I've paid for the damn book now so I'll have to give it a go.

If it doesn't get better, I'm coming back and changing my score to one star.

Oh and the review by Christopher Houston "Reading Dancer" should be removed by Amazon; for goodness sake, he's the bloomin' technical reviewer for the book, talk about conflict of interests!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great beginners guide to Umbraco!, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Umbraco User's Guide (Paperback)
I am probably one of the only people who has so far read this book cover to cover as I was the Technical Author for the book, Nik and Paul have done a great job at producing the first official Umbraco book. It is a must have book if you are new to Umbraco as it will guide you through how to create an Umbraco solution in the "right" way and points you in the right direction to delve deeper under the covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile read, 30 Aug 2011
J Root - See all my reviews
This review is from: Umbraco User's Guide (Paperback)
Update: Since writing this review the Umbraco world has moved on and I would now only recommend this book if you're working with the specific versions it covers. Hopefully there will be a new version out after version 6 is released!

This book has lots of useful information about how to build and extend sites in Umbraco. I think it is mostly useful for beginning to intermediate Umbraco developers. With this book and a Umbraco.tv subscription you should be good to go.

What I would like to see in the next edition is a clearer split between a user guide for content editors and a developer guide (2 books maybe!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Umbraco for everyone, 23 Jun 2011
Nik Wahlberg and Paul Sterling have penned the definitive Umbraco users book.

It is well written and covers a lot of territory , and is written in an open and readable way. Most technical books are often dry and life sucking reads.

As a developer, I found this book informative and many of the tips and information is stuff I will be trying to put into my work going forward.

For really experienced Umbraco developers the book might not delve into great detail in some sections, but in all other aspects it's a great book, and well worth buying.

I got my copy and haven't been disappointed yet. Buy it you know you want to!!

Umbraco User's Guide
Umbraco User's Guide by Paul Sterling (Paperback - 7 Jun 2011)
23.22