5.0 out of 5 stars Learned more from this book than in computer class!
I'm a computer support student at a local community college. The textbook we use is HUGE and VERY technical. I bought this "For Dummies" book on a friday afternoon, and learned more from it in just a few hours than I had learned in the first 3 weeks of class!! I could'nt possibly get through my classes without it. It explains things in a way that I can...
Published on 9 Dec. 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
If I had seen this book in a bookshop, and not purchased it from Amazon, I think I would have put it back on the shelf. The book is biased towards Windows 7. This did not do a lot for me with Windows Vista.
On page 23 it explains what a Phillips screwdriver looks like. On page 24 it suggests using empty egg cartons to store screws in.
The pictures throughout...
Published on 19 Mar. 2013 by Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars I was not dissapointed very easy to follow, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Upgrading and Fixing Computers Do-it-Yourself For Dummies (Paperback)
waited for delivery with baited breath , I was not dissapointed very easy to follow, worth every penny G C Dalgliesh.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 13 May 2000
By A Customer
Author spent too much time being humorous. Fine to take edge of tech subject but gets a bit wearing after a time. I would rather know what limits are on upgrading processor etc. without buying new motherboard, and other info along these lines.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very elementary, 19 Feb. 2011
Mr. N. S. Ogilvie "Nigel O" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
Far too basic and obvious; e.g. "Connecting a monitor to a PC" (pages 43 and 44): Remove the monitor from the box, place the monitor on your desk, and push the plug on the end of its cable into your computer's video port in the back of your computer ... [etc etc -- there are two pages of this.]

Upgrading and Fixing Computers Do-it-Yourself For Dummies
Upgrading and Fixing Computers Do-it-Yourself For Dummies by Andy Rathbone (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2010)