Published on 20 Jun. 2011 by Shaad Hamid

3.0 out of 5 stars is good book but
it is good book but for JavaScript I recommend to use other books
in html section it explains everything well
Published on 18 Dec. 2011 by ma hastim

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for anyone intending to learn some serious web development, 20 Jun. 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is great for anyone wanting to learn best practice web development. I had absolutely no knowledge about HTML/XHTML, CSS, JavaScript etc. but having completed half the book, I am much more confident about my web development/design skills. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who doesn't have the perseverance to follow through as it will test your resolve (the book is a compilation of 8 booklets, so it is huge).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - this book has everything, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I have only just bought this book and am already on Page 190.

I purchased this book as a reference for the more advanced topics such as PHP, MYSQL and Javascript. But, it has refreshed some of my XHTML & CSS knowledge that I acquired along time ago and have since forgotten.

This book is certainly a true gem, and I would say it is one of the best Dummies books I have purchased.

Andy Harris has a smooth way of writing and is very funny in places.

Would definetly recommend this book to any new web designer or even intermediate professionals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patience is a virtue, 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
The book starts with a basic HTML page layout and builds things up from there. The author makes sure that everything is explained thoroughly so that you are never unsure about anything. There are some lengthy sections near the start about validating web pages and editing software, which initially is not particulary relevant but persevere and you'll get to the good stuff.

The chapters in each book are broken down into small sections so that you don't have to read them through in one go. If you enjoy planning like me this is particulary useful for timetabling your study. Like most dummies guides i've read though the onus is on the reader to do their own experimentation with the information they are given. I generally do my own versions of the demonstrations and make notes before moving on.

You will not learn the information in this book overnight, I have been studying for around four months now-not always consistently-and am currently a couple of chapters into book four on JavaScript.I am finding this the most enjoyable so far but have found that some items are not explained very well like Objects and to a lesser extent Functions. For both of these items, it was necessary to study from other sources. Saying that however, I have found that when learning anything, using more then one resource is necessary.

Others sections I have found confusing in Javascript were the explanation of JSON and the use of DOM in Firefox. The former I found difficult to understand because it was explained with such brevity and its inclusion seemed confusing. With regard to the DOM, I had trouble finding some of the items described in the book. When I eventually managed to find something and worked through an example, the result were not as expected and there seemed to be no contingency for this.

I would definately recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning about creating web pages from the ground up because it provided a nice structure from which to direct your learning, but be prepared to find information from other sources too.

4.0 out of 5 stars The three legged spider, 9 April 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is a revelation for someone who knows little about web design. The three legged approach of html, xhtml and css is well constructed and thought out. This teaching manual comes with a cd containing worked examples and software so you can either read, or work through, each chapter at your own pace. The goal of the book is to enable you to create your own web page. The content is aimed at improving novices but contains enough technical information to appeal to those who want to proceed to a more advanced level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book to learn to write web pages, 23 Mar. 2011
G. CRITCHELL - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I think this book is very good to learn to write web pages. It does get
complicated but the first few chapters are sufficient to be able to write decent
web pages. After that I think that experience in computing would help to understand
some of the topics covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb value for money and very well written, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I am half way through this book now and I'm really enjoying it.

I understood a lot of web development already but I wanted to start learning from scratch to fill in the gaps.

This book methodically steps you through the basics of the web, but avoids going into superfluous details that you don't need to start off with.
It's written in a friendly and interesting style and I haven't found any typos or errors which IT books can sometimes be prone to !

The author clearly has experience at actually teaching the subject which makes all the difference.
The included cdrom has all the sample code on it, playing with the code and making it work on my own system really builds my confidence !
This book is very good value for money and I really can recommend it if you want a good place to start learning about this exciting topic.

I'll update this review when I've finished !

31 Aug 11 update

Have read most of this book now ( just going to start the Graphics editing bit tomorrow)

I have seen one or two typos since my first review but absolutely nothing too annoying.

This book has a 2nd purpose as a 'tool kit' or ' cook book' for when you actually start building sites.

I still say this is a great value book and I would heartley recommend it .

I've already started on the Orielly sql/javascript/PHP book and it seems to be the next best step in my learning / re-leanrning beyond getting some practical experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me up and running within two days., 10 Mar. 2012
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This book wont teach you how to be a master web programmer, but it will help beginners to get started pretty quickly. The information is provided into decent sized chunks, is extremely well presented, and manages to be simple without being patronizing. If you're an absolute beginner like me then this book will provide an excellent starting point.

Update. Dec 2012.

While I still recommend this book, I cannot recommend the section on JavaScript, which is the largest waste of ink that I have come across in 30 years. This book will get you going with HTML and CSS, which is worth the asking price alone, but consider getting a separate book on the programming side of web development as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the beginner who wants to achieve something., 14 July 2013
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is brilliant. Well written, dead easy to understand and it covers a vast amount of ground. You could start off completely clueless and by the end know about CSS, Javascript, jQuery, AJAX, PHP, regular expressions... all sorts of in depth stuff.

I came at it while learning how to make web apps in django, where my Python knowledge was okay but my HTML knowledge stuck in 1998. This book focuses on PHP as the server side language but it was easy enough to skip the PHP stuff and learn about everything else.

Thoroughly recommend this for a novice who wants a fast track and comprehensive course to get up to speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Highly Recommended, 24 May 2013
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Simply Amazing. I ordered Andy Harris' newest HTML, XHTML & CSS book last year, whilst that is good, in it's own right, this book just takes everything to another level. The disc to accompany it will be very useful. I've not had time to look at this in full but when i get a minute i'd imagine i'll be sucked in.

I can't recommend this highly enough.

My only criticism however, is that the book was slightly bashed on arrival, and i opened the disc case wrong. Of course no fault of the publisher or author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Kick Start, 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I knew quite a bit of HTML and CSS before I got this book but this really gives you a huge boost in the right direction. With tips on how to actually start your website and what to do with it it make it good code it's brilliant.
It has now given me my start into learning PHP and the simple advice such as what image format to use is also really useful.
If you know nothing or even quite about about HTML and CSS, this book will expand your knowledge massively.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies
HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies by Andy Harris (Paperback - 12 Nov. 2010)
Used & New from: £4.19