4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get over exposed!
As the book clearly puts it on the jacket - photography is all about capturing light and the management of how much exposure each photo gets is all-important.

This book clearly sets out the basics and then goes into various different situations where the manipulation of exposure is particularly important.

It's a nicely set out book, clear in its...
Published on 10 Mar. 2010 by Uncle Barbar

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for novices
Published on 25 May 2010 by Grev

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get over exposed!, 10 Mar. 2010
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It's a nicely set out book, clear in its approach with a direct style and with a decent number of illustrating photographs throughout.

The chapters are laid out in what you'd expect from an "exposure" guide:
Understanding exposure,
working with light,
shutter speed,
aperture,
ISO,
event photography (the author's specialist subject),
portrait photography,
landscape and nature photography,
night and low-light photography,
sports and action photography,
wedding photography,
wildlife and animal photography,
creative exposure.

You get a postcard sized grey/colour checker card inside the book also.

It MAY not be the best book on the market about manipulating exposure in-camera but it is a decent enough book and at a very affordable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expose Yourself, 23 Feb. 2010
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The bane of all photographers, whether professional, intermediate or learner, is exposure. It does not matter what you see in the viewfinder (or LCD screen if that's your preferred method of composing) or how wonderful you believe your luck to be, if the photo you take is not exposed correctly you will be kicking yourself; even more so if the opportunity has passed. Alan Hess' book on `Exposure' is the twelfth in the Digital Field Guide series and the most important. Neither camera nor brand specific, this book is not aimed at those with high end DSL's - they should know what they are doing - it is a mid range user guide covering light, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, low-light, and photographing weddings, events, portraits, landscape and nature, sport, and wildlife. It is all written in easy to understand terms, not assuming that the reader knows what a 'stop' is, nor what RAW, TIFF and JPEGs are.

There are plenty of photographs detailing what f-number, speed and ISO was used, but it would have been nice to be shown the same photo with different camera settings so the reader could see the differences in selecting incorrect settings. Admittedly, there are a couple of these but too few by far. Included is a tear out colour and grey card checker for white balance and colour.

Though billed as a carry-round-with-you-book, it will need a rucksack or reasonably sized shoulder bag as it is slightly too large to fit in a camera case. There's also a small section covering software such as Photoshop, which is in all honestly akin to `cheating'; the idea in photography is to get the shot right in the first instance through trial and error and not have to rely on software to fix it. Using this book will help you do that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for novices, 25 May 2010
Grev (Brighton) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If like me you're a complete novice when it comes to photography, then you'll need all the help you can get - which is where this book comes in. However don't necessarily expect to be able to flip through this book, pick up the essentials and start snapping away like an expert! As others have said this is a pretty text heavy book that while it covers all the bases, covers them in a lot of detail that's as likely to bog you down as inspire you to dash outside and start clicking away.

If you're just starting out then, there are more concise (and inspiring) volumes than this available elsewhere.

If on the other hand you're already pretty competent and want to really go to town and start improving your skills then this might be the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful reference to dip into., 21 Oct. 2010
B. Roche "somethingisrotten" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very useful book on trying to get the correct exposure for your photographs. I say trying as this is never going to be an exact science and the very nature of digital photography has made us more likely to experiment rather than take the time with every single shot.

The book is not overly technical and is easy to dip in and out of. It offers tips on the basics - shutter speed, aperture, light settings etc, and then adds further information specific to different types of photography, such as wildlife, action and weddings.

I found this a particularly useful book as a very amateur amateur and it has helped me take more time over each shot and plan more effectively. Not bad for under £10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and more experienced alike, 20 May 2010
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hold my hand up here. I am something of a novice in photography terms so go easy on me if I get a few things mixed up in technical speak! What I have done is enlist the help of a more experienced friend as well. She has cast her eye over the book so what I'll do is give my beginners view first. Then I'll offer up some comments from my friend on how useful this book is to someone who knows their aperture from their elbow...

My beginners view
This book is packed with information! I'm not kidding, if you weren't over-awed by the amount of variables that can change a photo then you ain't seen nothin' yet. However, whilst it has loads of information it is presented in an excellent manner. As a beginner I didn't feel too lost and with the aid of the pictures and the very useful tear out cards for checking colour and greys. These cards in particular have been proving worth their weight in gold to me.

As I read through the chapters I did feel like I was being well guided through taking more care over settings for photos. The concept of prepping before going out to take particular photos is stressed but the book is also of a good enough size to take out with you in a decent sized camera bag. This I am quite grateful for as it means I don't have to worry about remembering everything! I see this book as a good field aid now and I am certainly getting to point where most of the time I can have a good stab at getting things right without reference.

And the most important thing - this book is helping me get better shots and also better shots first or second time. It really is a great book!

More Experienced photographers view
The book is a great reference aid. The cards are really helpful even for people who have been photographing for a while. I'm not an expert by any means but most of the time I like to think I can get by pretty well. What this book has been great for is giving me a chance to recap old ground, hone my techniques a bit and also lose a few bad habits I had grown into over time. It isn't a book I'd carry with me, the cards I would, but it would be a good reference book to keep in my library and re-read from time to time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but there are definitely better books on the subject, 24 Feb. 2010
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To give some context, I'd describe myself as an enthusiastic amateur photographer. Having had a DSLR for just over a year, as well as taking thousands of shots, I've also read lots of books and been on a few training courses. This book gives a fairly solid overview of the basics of exposure theory: i.e. how and why to control the amount of light that reaches the camera sensor, and what effect that has on your photo. It starts with the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO, and in doing so explains when and why you would use the respective modes on your camera (shutter priority, aperture priority etc). It then goes on to give some more detailed tips for different types of photography eg portraits, landscapes etc.

So far so, good. The problem is, there is another book (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, currently rated 4.5 stars after 149 ratings, always a good sign) which covers this topic better. The Peterson book is just written in a way that the explanations go beyond theory and really click. That book fundamentally changed my understanding of photography and helped me make the jump from "point and shoot land". This new book doesn't do the basics anywhere near as well, and then the specifics on the different types of events aren't really covered in enough depth for the intermediate or advanced reader.

All in all, not a bad book, probably worth the money and if you'd not read anything on exposure, you probably wouldn't be disappointed. However, if you're in that category, I'd strongly recommend the Peterson book first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise, 24 Feb. 2010
M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If, like myself, you have moved from fixed lens 'point and shoot' cameras to an entry or mid level DSLR, have already bought a camera specific 'what all the buttons on your camera do' book and now want to move to the next step, then this is the book for you.

Everything is covered, with entire chapters on the technical basics (shutter speed, aperture, ISO), followed by more specific chapters on each of the main photography types you will encounter (event photography, portrait, landscape/nature, low/night light, wedding, wildlife). The book will also give you enough information to understand (and choose) lens and lighting options for your camera.

This book includes a free colour checker card. The cheapest I can find one of these for on Amazon is about £40. So if like me you want to experiment in using a colour checker( used for setting your colour balance in Adobe Lightroom or other photo editing application and can give you more true to life balance in your images), but would rather save that £40 and spend it towards a new lens, then buying this book will save you money in the long run (and makes the book a bargain at under a tenner!)

Disclaimers and equipment.
I own a Sony A200, using the Sony SAL50F18 (50mm portrait/indoor) and Sony SAL18250 (18-250mm compact zoom ) lenses. I also own the Sony A200 Digital Field guide by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and readable, illustrated with copious examples, 16 Mar. 2010
Paolo Sammut - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I moved from a simple digital camera to a more complex DSLR camera I realised that there would be a lot to learn with regards to manually controlling the settings. This book takes you through all the settings in a way which is camera-agnostic. Each chapter is illustrated with copious photographics which in the case of photography really do speak a thousands words as one can visually see the effect which each setting in the camera controls.

The author takes you through the concepts of exposure starting by describing how to work with light. Like art one needs to think about the shapes, lights and colours around the subject rather than just snap the subject. From here there are chapters on shutter speed, aperture and ISO. The author then moves on over the next several chapters to discuss event photography, landscapes, night/low light conditions, sport, wedding and wildlife photography and finally creative tips and software to help you make the most of your images.

The book is very enjoyable to read and is presented in a readable, well presented format. The index is very comprehensive and covers all the points one would need to look up in depth very well

This book is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, 10 Oct. 2010
Ian Shine (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, a summary of the book's contents.

It begins with a look at exposure, working with light and using basic camera settings.
Later chapters move on to more specific areas, such as portraits, action and wildlife.
The final chapter provides a very brief look at Photoshop and other retouching software.
There is also a glossary at the back, so it's easy to find things.

As for the quality of the contents, the information is concisely expressed. It doesn't take hours to find what you're looking for, and there's not much waffle. Pictures are essential for any photography book, and this one has good ones that really illustrate the points being made well and serve to illuminate the text and the reader.

I'd recommend it for a novice, but not for anyone with a firm grasp of the topic already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for noobs!, 23 Feb. 2010
Road Apple "who brings the mustard?" (Mean Gene's Bar) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just to be clear I am calling myself a noob, and I mean it as a compliment to this book.

I've always wanted to learn more about photography, only in the casual sense, I'm not about to quit my job and buy a £5000 camera. I was looking for a quick reference guide that would help me make the most of my amateur photos and this book is it.
Really well written and presented with tons of info if you care to delve deep. I'm sure this would prove just as usefull for a semi-pro photographer, just to keep sharp.

Ever looked at a photo and thought "I wonder how they took that great picture?", this book will tell you.

Can't praise it enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Exposure Digital Field Guide
Exposure Digital Field Guide by Alan Hess (Paperback - 27 Oct. 2009)