‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-Have Tool Book for all Online Marketing Strategists!, 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability and Science of Customer Centricity (Paperback)
This book points out critical web metrics to watch out for and provides tips how to fine-tune your campaign according to the intepreation of these metrics. Intersting topics include: unleash the power of testing and experimentation, competitive intelligence analysis, the awesome world of clickstream analysis, and emerging analysis: social, mobile and video. This book is so informative and it's a must-read to all the online marketing campaingers. However, for more advanced web marketing skills, such as PPC, Cognitive Search Marketing & Paid Search: Theory, Experiment, Practice and Tactics: A PPC Paradigm Powered by Persuasion and Cognition is a perfect read to polish your online marketing skills on paid search. This book provides new perspectives on applying communication theory on today's online marketing campaign and paid search. The book offers online business solutions, from demand generation all the way down to conversion. Based on various communications theories, it demonstrates abundant persuasive ad copy writing tips along with examples that you can refer to immediately. It also shows its readers how to write effective PPC ads by applying cognitive science and which has never been addressed on the books I have ever read. It covers a deep ground in landing page optimization based on UX and bidding management with strategic planning and highly valuable tactics. This book also demonstrates a complete walk-through in a PPC campaign with case study, from keyword generation, persuasive ad copy writing, bidding management, down to conversion tracking. One of the best part of this book is its demonstration on MRI placement targeting and it just blew my mind. The book also interfaces PPC campaign with experiment design to leverage the overall efficiency on a company's marketing plan in a macro-level and which has never been addressed in any books I ran into before. The book also illustrates critical campaign metrics to watch for, how to interpret these metrics and respective actions to take to improve your campaign. Landing page optimization tactics to increase the CTR and conversion rate are emphasized while conversion attribution model and its application is well-addressed. In addition, it shows you many effective bidding techniques to optimize your profit while lowering your CPA. Furthermore, this book extends the value of PPC techniques by applying the PPC tactics into a job search process with examples that readers can use immediately after they read the book.

On the other hand, Integrated Search Marketing Solution & Organic Search: Search Engine Optimization, Social Media, and Email Marketing: Winning Formula for SERP Dominance is a perfect SEO book for cross-reference when building your business website. It teaches you how to implement on-page, off-page and server-side optimization to boost up the SEO competency of your website. For example, it teaches the readers about how to implement tactical link building to become the center of an authoritative hub and deploy facet navigation and page segmentation. It also shows the readers how to avoid duplicate content, the tactics to deploy 301 redirect, and the SEO practices of exception handling and the adoption of custom 404 error page to increase visitor retention rate, and how to increase content / code ratio as well as the programming techniques to boost the web performance. The benefits won't just stop here. It also presents plenty of tips for email marketing. It teaches you how to increase open rate, subscribe rate, CTR and conversion rate by tweaking critical email elements. Also, the book lists out on the most important metrics to watch for in your email campaign and how to interpret these metrics and optimize the email elements accordingly In addition, it demonstrates the tips for the experiment design for your email campaign for further improvement on the critical email elements. Furthermore, Its critical tactics in FB marketing based on role playing will open your eyes.

Enjoy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have read and I will read it again - you should too!, 1 Feb. 2010
I'm going to do my best to not use too much hyperbole in this mini-review so forgive me if I do.

Simply put, this mighty tome is an inspiration for anyone who seeks to break into web analytics or anyone seeking to extend their knowledge and become an 'Analytics Ninja'.

Engaging writing, amusing, always informative, accurate, concise and fair are all phrases I would use to describe the book. 'Fair enough' you think but what makes it merit a full 5 stars? One might expect a Web Analytics manual from Avinash to be Google-centric given his well known affiliation to 'The Big G', however, a refreshingly pleasant surprise is the breadth of tools and skills that he writes about that go beyond the Google suite of analytics products.

Sure, GA etc. get a fair look in a rightly so based on their merits but there are *many* alternatives out there and all tools should be considered for the job in hand based on their merits and applicability. The thinking behind the inclusion of a wide range of tools and technologies is a fundamental lesson in itself in web analytics.

So, who should read this book? Anyone who is or wants to be 'smart' in web analytics. Being smart is the difference between adding value and 'puking reports'.

Where is the book weak? Not many places, for sure! A little light on the stats but one could write a whole volume on that subject itself and lo and behold, many have so use alternative texts as companions to this one. The book is not intended to be a technical 'how to get the data' manual but there are many techniques that are worth a mention to supplement thinking and provide inspiration. There is a minor typo on page 99 but we'll quickly wash over that minor gripe ;-)

Why should anyone re-read it? There is a lot of ground covered! Too much to take in properly in one go but a couple of reads will hammer the key messages home. bear in mind that web analytics is becoming a very fast moving arms race and a few points about GA mentioned in the book have already moved on. Where Avinash might ask 'what if?' questions, it may well be the case that answers are now available and a whole new avenue of rich insightful analysis is now possible.

So, read, re-read and look forward to 3.0!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple fantastic, 13 Nov. 2009
Robert C. Prior "Robert Prior" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
As an analytics consultant and big fan of Avinash, his blog and twitter postings his second book doesn't disappoint. In the first couple of days I am well over half way through this insightful look at web analytics and vistually every chapter so far is crammed with nuggets of useful information that I can put into action immediately both for myself and clients.
For anyone responsible for web analytics or reporting on anything to do with their organisations online presence this book is a must! This is now the book I will give to all trainees on my analytics training courses for clients around the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy just one digital marketing book..., 14 Nov. 2009
David Hughes (Reigate, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Avinash Kaushik has been de-mistifying the world of web analytics for years through his excellent blog Occam's Razor. He took us deeper into the murky world of Java-script tagging and standard reports with his comprehensive "Web Analytics: An Hour a Day" in 2007. Now he has written a book that all digital marketers should buy, read and leave on their desk to refer back to on a regular basis.

Web Analytics 2.0 shows us how to move from shovelling buckets of meaningless "clickstream" data around our organisations and develop a love for true insight. In short he encourages us to move towards adding qualitative data to our limitless supply of quantitative data in order to really understand what people are doing on our sites. We must learn to use our hearts as well as our minds.

Lets take a simple example - that old favourite of "Engagement". Marketers run so many analytics reports to get a fix on engagement that the lights in most offices regularly dim. And the bad news according to Avinash is that you will NEVER be able to measure how much people are enjoying themselves on your site just with the click-stream data. For instance, to paraphrase Avinash, 2 people visit your site and spend 10 minutes looking at 12 pages. Both happy right? One loved your site, but the other was frantically trying to find some content and gave up after 10 fruitless minutes - you will never ever ever know this just from your data. We'll need to augment our click-stream view with some kind of attitudinal research and Avinash guides us through what tools to use and how to get the best of them...in this case an on-site survey with simple questions such as "did you achieve what you set out to do on our site today?" will take the guesswork out of our analytics.

So Avinash takes us on a journey to show us where we should be using our hearts to make sense of data. On our way we look at the need to move away from once a week reports to continuous streams of meaningful data; we are constantly reminded that customers, not marketers, are the best people to inform us what our site should look and feel like; and we are taken on a guided tour of the mountainous areas of competitive insight and told how to mine it profitably.

But this book does so much more than just change the way you think, critical though that is. It shows you what buttons to press to make your reports more actionable, tells you what sites to look at when considering additional solutions and gives clarity to virtually all the web analytics jargon terms. Some of the content will be familiar to regular readers of his blog (like the excellent explanation of multiple-tab time on site calculations!) but that makes this even more of a reference book for all our analytics needs.

As you may know I am a huge fan of testing everything that we do in digital marketing and so the chapter titled "Failing Faster: Unleashing the Power of Testing and Experimentation" took me around all my favourite sites in the digital marketing landscape: A/B testing, Multi-variate testing and some really sound advice about where to start and a few quick wins to get you in the mood!
Avinash shows us that web analytics is woven into all our digital marketing activity - from search to site usability and email campaign analysis to off-line integration. I even spent a rewarding few minutes simply reading the sub-heads and being reminded of things we ought to be doing all the time:
- Segment or go home
- Five Rules for creating a Data-Driven Boss
- The Key to Glory - Measuring Success
- Context is Queen
- Failing faster - unleashing the power of Testing and Experimentation

So there we are - a digital marketing book that takes you from thinking differently to doing better, packed with explanations about the things we ought to know about (or showing us how wrong we have been!). It comes with a CD brimming with Podcasts, Video and Powerpoint material as well as lists of additional resources. It's taken me 2 weeks to work from the start of the book to the end but it's been a fantastic journey...and at over 450 pages you may want to pack a lunch before you set off!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything this guy writes is worth reading (and buying), 17 Nov. 2009
Calculus (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Put it this way. If you're interested in web analytics and want to make any site perform better then you're a mug if you don't buy this book AND his previous one - Web Analytics an hour a day.

Read the 'hour a day' book first' then this new one and belive me you'll be so far ahead of the majority of the competition it'll be a crime.

Having said all of this - you've got to put the work AND thought in. Avinish gives you the training, ideas and strategies but he can't force you to work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful but out of date, 27 Oct. 2014
Avinash Kaushik is hugely knowledgeable with a great writing style. However, this book is nearly 5 years old and is very out of date. A number of brands are referenced that no longer exist. Time for an update please, Avinash.

5.0 out of 5 stars One eureka moment after another, 4 Mar. 2014
K. Wright (Edinburgh, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I ended putting down the novel I was reading at the same time as this book: I was enjoying Web Analytics so much, I couldn't be bothered with anything else, and it was a good novel. I came back to it later.

Full of practical, actionable insights that will instantly make a difference to any digital project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop what you're doing, buy this book and get more from your website!, 7 Nov. 2009
If you're serious about getting more for your clients or you own a website or you simply want to learn and understand how to gain a competitive advantage. Then this is Web Analytics 2.0 is a 'must have'.

We have a two mantra's in our office that we all live by: 'it's not the tools you use, but how you use them' ...along with... 'it's a science and an art'

Avinash delivers this in abundance.

Web 2.0 is taking our understanding of what customers do when visiting websites; taking this information and along with creative insight helping you understand 'what really matters' in getting the outcomes you need.

You'll learn not just how to get and know what the metrics are...but you'll discover how you' read' and take actions to get the desired outcomes that really, really matter - more sales, more enquires, more downloads etc.

What's more it's easy to pick and dive straight in. No-nonsense approach, easily digestible and has that knack that keeps you wanting to turn the page.

This book is like the bible for our team, they are actually fighting over who gets to read it next.

So, Stop what you're doing, scroll back up the screen and buy it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to the next level in Web Analytics!, 23 Aug. 2010
Michael Notte (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
The first book 'Web Analytics an hour a day" was already a very good book - strongly recommended especially if you get started in the Web Analytics field - but Web Analytics 2.0 gets it a level further. It covers many topics and aspects including organisation, competitive intelligence, social media, mobile analytics and advanced techniques in how to leverage segmentation, dashboard creation...One of the points I like is that in most cases, the book is very practical - not just plain theory but something you can often try out yourself directly.

Just read the whole book or only the chapters you are interested - this book, as first one, is a great source of inspiration in my daily work.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for understanding web analytics, 26 April 2010
G. F. Mclachlan "We Fly Spitfires" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had an interested in the purpose and power behind web strategy and SEO for a long time but wasn't until I read Web Analytics 2.0 that I really gained a full understanding of the great power and potential behind analysing web stats. WA 2.0 is a brilliantly written book that, in a simple and straight forward manner, outlines everything from why analytics are important, to how they relate with the goals of a site, to what techniques and functions we can practiacally implement to get results we want.

I've been using WA 2.0 as a resource for both my professional live and personal blog and I can't recommend it enough!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›