Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2009
As with everthing purchased via amazon, this item arrived in quick time.Together with "laptops for seniors" were the perfect learning process for my wife.(Me as well,but keep mum).Really easy to understand, although it assumed some knowledge.Really good buys for beginners. Allan Marsh.
on 12 March 2010
If you have had experience over the years with Microsoft operating systems then this book offers little new. Okay so Win7 has some changes, but not enough to justify a book of this size. However if you a new to computing or of limited experience it is an excellent choice. For the more experienced you should be able to find the new features without the necessity of buying a such a large book, do you really want to know how to install a printer or similar items that are repeated in this publication.
Great for beginners but not much use for the more experienced hence only 3 stars from me.
on 17 May 2011
If you are new to Widows 7 this is is very easy start. Help is O K but if you don't know a feature exists, you can't look up help for it. Andy's book explains in easy to understand language how to do just about anything.
I changed from XP and found that there were too many differences that I was struggling with. So I bought this book and am now very happy with Windows 7
on 13 October 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0470523980/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title/Widowows 7 for Dummies & DVD Bundle.......I like the series of books for "Dummies" i started with XP for Dummies & have continued to buy them as i found them easy to use, well explained & written so anyone could understand them, i now have Vista installed on my PC but i intend to install Win 7, before i say anything else about the book & DVD, i want to let you know that i gave a loan of my XP for Dummies to a friend, a novice with PC's, i was trying to work out why he was reluctent to take it & gave me a dirty look into the bargin, i was thinking what have i done? answer: Nothing, i didn't even explain to him that all the books for Dummies are easily explained & that i was not sugestting that he was dumb. (put a smile on my face, watching his reaction lol) i have always bought the series of books for dummies as i found them easy to understand & Win 7' is no exception, as i've planned to install Win 7 i thought i'd get the book first & it re-assures you that you have nothing to worry about & along with the DVD has put everything into one easy bundle & perspective, it even tells you some tweeks & things you may not have known about Win 7. I would say, don't be like my friend & take offence at the title, i think you would benefit from it & say buy buy buy, cause if your not sure, this book will answer all your questions & more. i admit myself, the first PC book for Dummies i felt unsure, but i'm glad i stuck with them as they have helped me everytime, even if i need to check something.
on 28 December 2009
Okay at 61 I do not consider myself over the hill and average intel.so when I purchased a new Pc and Windows 7 I thought here we go for a full house,the book in itself is okay but the big problem about it is that there are no pictures to speak of,if I was teaching someone how to operate a new system by book I would have loads of good piccys to be a visual guide,I am one of those people who like to look at what I am learning not read it out with no visual signposts,this is what you should be looking at on your screen,look at the bottom right of the picture and you will see an icon like this click this icon and the page will change to Fig.2,if not and you have this on your screen you have probably done this.
That is how I was taught and to me it works as you show what you should be seeing and what you may have done wrong,maybe I am to old school and I am wrong But the other book I bought was totally the other side of the river,loads of full colour piccys balloons with explanations the full Monty,I am not panning this book as I do not know enough of the subject matter, but if like me you want screen pictures in colour and all that well this is not the book you want,the book I bought which I find easier is Teach Yourself Visually Microsoft Windows 7,by Paul McFedries in softback.Full colour glossy pictures which you can read the screen captions and all the good stuff.
If you prefer just reading about Win7 and no pictures then this book should do for you if you are a read only person,in the long run I need pictures as well as the written word,with this book you do get a DVD tutorial so I may be wrong as to the piccy side,Happy Computing.
on 22 February 2011
I purchased Windows 7 for Dummies as I have just purchased a laptop with Windows 7 already installed.
I have a desktop pc with Vista installed. Although the book is good value for money, as it comes with a
tutorial dvd, I felt that it was not as informative as Vista for Dummies. If you have a copy of Vista for
Dummies, then there is not a lot more to learn from this book. If you don`t, then buy this book as a starting
point for Windows 7.
on 17 August 2010
I've found this as good as other "Dummies" books to understand both the basics and more advanced topics. The DVD was worth watching but I would not do so again as it's all in the book anyway.
on 1 March 2012
I bought this to help me with the transition from Windows XP to Windows 7 which is installed on on my new laptop. In the main it is quite useful but it has not been updated to include, for example, Internet Explorer 9. The parts that can still be used are well-laid out, easy to understand and have saved me a lot of time either searching through Help menus or resorting to trial and error. I found the DVD to be of little value.
on 26 October 2010
as per usual the "dummie man" has done another fine job. The added advantage of the dvt also puts more iceing on the cake. Just the job for O.A.P,s
on 9 November 2010
I've bought several of these books over the years and found them very useful, this one looks like another winner, with the DVD as a bonus.