Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2005
This book is OK, but it really spreads itself too thin. I have tried and failed to find the information I need in it more times than I can remember.
Maybe it's ok if you're just starting out and you need a reference, but even then you might want to look at other options first.
on 25 October 2004
This book is very easy to read.
The chapters are very well arranged and cover the subjects in a sequential manner.
It starts with plain HTML formatting and later on introduces CSS, after we are familiar with the HTML tags. This arrangement allows to learn easily to build your pages without complicating from the very beggining. If you are familiar with HTML you can just skip a few chapters but I recomed reading them anyway, because there is always something usefull to learn from them.
It's an excellent companoin book to have near the computer when writing HTML or even dynamic pages.
on 14 March 2005
I bought this book hoping that it would teach me to build a correct XHTML web site. I must say that I'm very pleased with it but probably for the wrong reasons. It does focus on XHTML but not as much as one would expect. Being XHTML the current version of HTML it is incredible the amount of text dedicated to cover HTML 4. Although the autor's point out once or twice that this or that procedure is not correct anymore, they keep insisting on using those deprecated methods on many of the examples troughout the book. On the other hand the book covers so many subjects that are helpfull even if they only scratch the surface. Usability, Accessibility, XML and and other essential subjects are addressed in a way that is very easy to understand and gives you a start on those subjects.
Good if you are a novice web developer, not very helpfull if you already know the basics and want to learn Strict XHTML.
on 30 December 2004
I bought this book to update my rather basic knowledge of website development to the latest standards and to acquire insight into the more formal aspects of HTML and CSS. This book was to help me in an ambitious, forthcoming update for my photography portfolio website, [...]
The book delivered everything I had hoped for. I read it front to back in (nearly) one go, scanning the parts that were already familiar and reading carefully some of the more advanced techniques. The book is extremely well laid out and follows a logical path of progression, so it is easy to pick only the topics that you need. I would recommend reading the whole book anyway - there is something useful and new in every chapter.
I am not entirely sure that it is ideally suited to those with absolutely no previous HTML knowledge. However, for people with a basic, limited knowledge of HTML it is an invaluable guide to extending and updating that expertise. You also want to keep it by your desk as a useful reference.
Wolf
on 26 January 2005
I have a bit of experiencing writing Web pages but wanted to learn how to progress in a more structured way, taking in CSS.
I bought this book and started reading from the beginning. Boy, is it repetitive. It made me wonder whether the author had been paid per word. I read the first two chapters and decided that was enough. Thankfully, Amazon runs a great returns policy.
In summary, as a reference book for dipping into on an ad-hoc basis, it may work well for you. If you want a book to read from the beginning to gain a better understanding of HTML etc. then my suggestion is that you try something else.
on 18 February 2005
This is one of the best books i've ever read. It explains everything very well, with simple words, even if you don't understand (yet) very much of the subject. The topics covered are just what you need to know, and every single detail of html, xhtml and css are covered, nothing will miss you !
Nice book
on 26 October 2011
A pretty good book, but not perfect. There are a few repetitions throughout the chapters. The main issue I found with the book is that it doesn't concentrate as much on the CSS layout formatting as I would like. But overall just like the name says, it is a HTML and CSS bible, so pretty much everything you'll need is there...
on 3 January 2005
If you are looking to learn XHTML and CSS (you will need CSS if you are to learn XHTML) this book is exactly what you should buy, it is brilliant in every way, very long though. It touches alot of other web design things, like server side scripting, java script and much more.
Although I would recomend buying "Sams Teach Your Self HTML and XHTML in 24 Hours" first then reading this, the Sams book is a very good introduction to web design and teaches you XHTML/HTML very well if you are just starting off. This book goes more indepth with XHTML/HTML, then teaches you CSS and then basicly gives you a breif glipise at about every other thing you need to know about web design.
Go buy this book, NOW!
on 27 April 2013
this book has come in very useful and a quick reference for me, whilst doing my degree.
easy to use and follow.
on 30 August 2012
great book with lots of references in it is just a shame that as with all code alot of it will become outdated