4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of good gen - plenty of typos
I learned a lot from this book. Nevertheless, as reviewed by someone else, it's got plenty of typographic errors. However, you can decipher the correct meaning without too much trouble.

Published on 8 Feb 2010 by Graeme Bagnall

3.0 out of 5 stars Good intentions let down by poor proofreading
Like a previous reviewer Im an old C++ coder from the days of Borland C trying to get back into coding. I figured this book would help.

Published on 2 Feb 2010 by B. Price

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of good gen - plenty of typos, 8 Feb 2010
This review is from: Objective-C For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) (Paperback)

I bought it to get going with iPhone app development, and it certainly got me on my way. I have a 20 year-old Computer Science degree, and it seems people are using C differently these days! Apart from some distant memories of C, I was effectively a novice when I started. I now have a good grasp of Objective-C, and it came from this book.

I also bought Goldstein's iPhone App Development for Dummies, but I reckon Sam's Teach Yourself iPhone App Development in 24hrs is better. Again Goldstein's book is blighted by typos, and although he has a pleasant writing style, the breadth of his subject matter is much narrower than in the Sam's book.

This'll get you a decent grounding in Objective-C, but if you want to use Objective-C to program the iPhone, take a look at some of the books not in the 'For Dummies' series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good intentions let down by poor proofreading, 2 Feb 2010
B. Price "Diggah" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

Im halfway through it now and I have to say Im a little disappointed. The structure of the book, while trying to give as much scope for future learning, is jumbled and distorted leaving you feeling quite bewildered. The author teaches you methods in a kind of structured way but its not helped by him constantly referencing stuff that he'll get to in later chapters and not giving reasonable examples of the parts you're covering in actual use.

I think the books real problem however is a substantial typo issue and problems in code naming. More than once I've had to double check my entries and then make guesses as the printed code you're supposed to add is written wrong (my favourite typo so far being "[NSMutableArrwwwwwwwwwwway alloc]" which should have been "[NSMutableArray alloc]"). Obviously for someone learning this from scratch this would be a big problem to overcome!

The naming convention he uses doesn't help either and it took me a while to figure out that an item called "Budget" were in fact two separate items just named the same.

Its an ok book in that it covers what you need to know but I needed to search the net to find better definitions and examples a lot of the time. I've not tried another book so I couldn't recommend a better one but I'd treat this one with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by certified Dummy!, 14 Nov 2009
This book is just what I was after.
I've always looked at the 'Whatever for Dummies' series of books as books for complete novices or teaching at a level below what I'd require.
I was wrong in this case however and have learnt that you shouldn't judge a book by what is 'written' on the cover.

I have some experience of programming in C but that was many years ago and have little experience in object-oriented programming so I felt a little out of my depth when reading other books on Objective-C as they made assumptions on the readers level of knowledge. This meant that I would have read and re-read a chapter followed by my own research on the internet to fully understand what was being written about. However, the opposite has been true when using this book. It takes you through fundamental concepts step by step, clearly explaining the logic and techniques being used and even highlights areas for further reading when a topic moves beyond the scope of the book.

I'm about half way through the book now and am very glad I made this purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you have no experience with programming - it's not for programming dummies, 25 April 2011
K. Klima (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a programming dummy, hence the purchase of the book.

The book is informative but ONLY if you know A LOT about programming. I see no point in explaining what an "argument" is in a language only a programmer would understand.

I know, there's no easy way.

You get description of what something does - in a language that's littered with other programming terms. Imagine you're learning a foreign language and the only dictionary you have is that gives you a definition of an unknown word in the language you're learning.

You get the definition of a term, in other programming terms and IF you get to learn what it does, more often than not it's explained in, you guess it, in other programming terms.

spendNoDollars;

This is how the complier knows that this call is a call to a function and not the indetifier of a variable or some other statement. The following call would generate admonishments from the compiler:

spendNoDollars;

Now, at that point I'd expect to also learn how does it changes the program and what it acutally does. But I'm not gonna get it.

Then, you're flooded with terms and features, that are apparently important... but will only be explained later, as the author tells you.

The idea of the author is to write a personal budget-tracking program for travelling abroad. Let's just leave aside the fact that the author calls Britain "England". You're building an app without actually knowing how it works... not that you could run it beforehand just to get the idea.

See, the CD that comes with the book (and that uses Flash, apparently), is useless - you need to install Rosetta to access the files.

Also, the book is OLD. Obviously, the X Code 4 was only just released, but expect that pictures and files described in the book are COMPLETELY different to what you see on the screen. even if you use last 3.x version of the X Code. You'll struggle to navigate.

To sum up - avoid this book if you have no experience with programming. And avoid this book if you don't want to install Rosetta.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not for seasoned programmers, 3 Oct 2010
I can see why this book would be mildly informative for non-programmers. I'm only half way through it and have found it has stuttered across the basics of Objective C without actually explaining the mechanics of memory allocation and object oriented programming. I understand its difficult to go through the basics without showing the syntax for memory allocation, etc., but the way this is put together is very frustrating.

Conclusion - if you're entirely new to programming you *might* find this book readable, but I fear you'll get frustrated before getting half way. If you're a seasoned programmer, don't even bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad.. Not great, 11 Aug 2010
As people have already stated it's got quite a few typos.. It's not a bad book and introduces you to some subject areas quite well, but not really in any depth.. I've found myself doing a little searching online for more information on many things that I feel weren't covered adequately in the book, or weren't covered at all.. You basically create one project throughout the entire book that you slowly improve and rework.. I think the book would have held my attention a little better with a couple of different projects just to keep things interesting..

I have to also say that I've found the book kind of useless as a reference tool.. Although admittedly that's probably not how the author ever intended for the book to be used. All in all, a decent intro but I'll definitely be looking for another book very soon and probably wouldn't recommend it to friends, so that probably tells you all you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars It got me writing Objective-C code, 28 April 2010
Andy E (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I like this book as it was exactly what I needed. My last serious bit of coding was 25 years ago and I've never done anything with C before. The explanations are straight forward and while I'm only half way through there has not been anything thats so difficult I've had to go off and research it. If you do buy this book, pay a visit to the authors web site. There's a Errata document that contains 19 corrections which are mostly in the text and not the example programs. While the other reviewers have said it's littered with typos I've not noticed any that were not in the Errata sheet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, extremely easy to learn., 20 April 2012
I have almost no programming experience and I needed a book to learn how to make iOS apps.
I've had this book for a few days, I already read 50 pages and it's very easy to read and understand. One thing that you need to know is that all the examples and instructions related to Xcode are outdated, but you can find the same features in Xcode 4.3 if you search for a couple of minutes.
I will be back with a more detailed review when I finish the book. Up to this point, I really recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good...introduction, 18 Jun 2011
As an introduction to Objective-C programming, this is a good book...it, as with many Dummies books provides a good grounding in the very basics of a topic.

I like this book and despite its limitations of being a beginners book provides an overview of how Objective-C works and is a good starting point for other reference material. Just don't expect an in depth reference guide!

5.0 out of 5 stars better than other programming books, 23 Sep 2010
Don't let the title fool you, this book is not for dummies. It is however, a very well organised book that explains the lessons within easily and fluently. The author is not over formal, and it is good.

Objective-C For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
Objective-C For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) by Neal Goldstein (Paperback - 2 Oct 2009)
Used & New from: £1.35