on 15 February 2010
This book covers the controls and operation of the EOS 7D in detail. All photos are in colour, the print is much larger and clearer than the Canon manual due to the larger size of the volume. Additional information and suggestions give helpful information to the user. There are several areas where you will find more detailed information than was possible in the Canon manual which, is itself excellent.

It is not necessary to read the book straight through as you may use it section be section as needed. Overall, very helpful as it expands on many of the things in the manual provided with the camers.Canon EOS 7D Digital Field Guide
on 16 April 2010
I found this book a little dry to read. These manuals are never going to be exciting, but this was a little slow, and I found myself skipping over chapters. It's been said before, it's like an extension to the owners manual.
Some of the illustrations are very good, but there are errors with indexing and content.
I am now reading the "Dummy's Guide" to 7D, and I've found this much better, it even injects a bit of humour in every now and again, it's something you'd WANT to read, rather than it being a chore.
The colour and grey cards at the back could be useful.
So, in conclusion, not a bad book, but there are better.
Bob.
on 23 February 2010
This is very nice book. It goes through the many options of 7D in detail and explains where and why to use those.
This is something that almost replaces the manual. Some may regard this as drawback because - sure - many of the features are described in the manual. But here they are also explained in their functional context.
The only point that I a bit wonder: in which sense this is field guide? For me it is more textbook but I do not complain. I was searching just this kind of book.

I also liked the parts describing some photographing techniques (nature, portrait...etc). Also the reasoning behind RAW captures is well explained and gives the first steps to study this interesting area further.

All in all, I do not regret the money spent on this book. It was clearly worth it. The book was enjoyable to read and clearly gave me a handful of useful tips that I can use (and have already used).

Jukka Henriksson
(The writer has amateur experience on film SLRs from 1973 and has had several digital compacts since 2002. Canon EOS 7D is his first digital SLR.)
on 23 April 2010
Canon EOS 7D Digital Field Guide

This book does exactly what it says on the cover, it guides you through the many facets of the Canon 7D in a manner that reflects the professionalism of the author. It covers each feature of the camera, simply, clearly and precisely, which makes learning a joy. I use this book in conjunction with the Magic Lantern Guide for the Canon EOS 7D and Canon's own camera manual, for a clearer and more in depth understanding of my 7D. The use of these books have made a complex camera easy to handle and has enabled me to get the best from what it has to offer. Well done Charlotte.
on 21 September 2012
Lowrie's book is a solid alternative to the official manual. It's not small but it's compact enough to stick in a backpack or decent-sized camera bag so that it's there when you need it. The layout is clear and the basics are easy to find and follow. I've found it a good companion to David Busch's (much larger and more detailed) Canon EOS 7D Guide.
It's not the most entertaining book in the world, and on occasion it feels a bit much like a compilation of lists and tables, but it's easier to follow than the manual and I'm generally glad to have it with me.
on 24 March 2011
This book gives you similar information to the manual but in a much easier to read format. There is extra though with the authors own views on how to use certain features and get the best from the camera. The 7D is my first Canon DSLR and I have found this book very useful in getting to know it. If I had had a pro-sumer Canon before the manual would probably have done. It is a bit big for the camera bag, so more a home guide than a field guide.
on 9 January 2011
This is very similar to the manual but it is much easier
to read and is much better bound. The manual is a pretty flimsy
affair, This book contains some helpful tips on when to use
particular options and gives good guidance on sensible default settings
on the myriad options

I carry this rather than the manual even though it is fair bit heavier

All in all, it is a bit like buying the manual Canon should have provided for free
on 11 January 2013
I wa recommended to get this when I bought my camera. It's OK although perhaps a little too professional for me, I am not yet that well educated in ways photographic! I guess in time I will grow in to this publication.
on 3 July 2010
A fairly good guidebook for the 7D. I upgraded from a 350D so was a big step up and the camera had many new unfamiliar functions. The book helped a lot in this aspect to describe in slightly more detail than the supplied manual the available functions and camera settings. The most useful parts for me was where she actually described her preferences for these functions (and why), this was really the info I am after in a 'Field guide' i.e - use what, when and where. The writing style is a bit dull but she does not skimp on the details. I will probably try and find another book that covers the 7D settings for real life situations, so this book is useful but in my opinion not really a 'field guide'.
on 7 January 2010
Probably the best book of its kind that I have ever bought. Very highly recommended for owners of this exceptionally good camera.