5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch for Dummies
Published on 14 Oct. 2009 by Catherine Tayler

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok product
My boyfriend bought this product to learn dutch so that he'd be able to speak with my family in their first language. He has learned some dutch from it and he swears it has some great tips on how to learn a new language.
Published on 11 Feb. 2010 by M. Hin

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok product, 11 Feb. 2010
M. Hin (Bristol, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
From my point of view, being dutch and all, I found that some of the words are not actually dutch but german instead and some of the pronounciation tips are bit interesting and I don't believe it reflects the actual language. Although I do understand that it is a really hard language for English people to pronounce so maybe that is as good as it gets. So, all in a all a good product for people just starting out as long as you are prepared for native dutch speakers to give you a hint or two about your pronounciation and finding it a bit interesting that you are talking to them in german (only some words, and dutch people will still be able to understand you very well, so no worries there).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch for Dummies, 14 Oct. 2009
Catherine Tayler (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
Having studied Dutch for the past 18 months, I have found this a welcome addition to other material I have. As well as teaching the language in a clear and concise way, it also gives a lot of information on cultural aspects. Some of this information is invaluable for people such as myself, who live in the Netherlands. A must have for anyone trying to learn an extremely difficult language

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content let down by sloppy editing., 11 Jun. 2011
Mr. A. Williamson (N.Devon, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
I've only had this book for a few days and whilst I have found it to be well structured with lots of information I have also found quite a few problems. Whilst I cannot comment on the accuracy of the Dutch, having only just started out, I can saw that the English is full of bizarre word usage and awkward sentences. For example, it calls "conjugation" a "conjunction". This in itself isn't too much of a problem as you can still generally understand what it's trying to say, it just makes it seem a bit unprofessional. Also, this isn't really a problem, but one of the top 10 tips for not offending the Dutch was to not tell them you think the Netherlands is boring... duh. Personally I wasn't going to study the language for the sole purpose of telling them I thought little of their country and I think as a rule this could probably be applied to most countries. Also, the pronunciation guide is a bit difficult to follow, you really have to study it hard before using it as, for an English speaker at least, it's not very intuitive. Apart from that the content is good and covers most topics you'll need for a trip to the Netherlands with an emphasis on business trips. However, as I've said earlier, this is let down by some sloppy editing and an awkward pronunciation key and I'm sure there is better out there, personally I'd stick to the Colloquial series or Teach Yourself, I picked this one as an experiment and in honesty I am regretting it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good book but.... pronunciations are in German, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought this book for my girlfriend just to see if she can learn a little bit of Dutch.
Unfortunately it turns out that the Dutch word lists actually have phonetics for the pronounciation in German! So while learning the written Dutch word you'll learn to pronounce a word in German which sometime is completely different from the Dutch word.
This is not useful at all and a shame as this book has everything to provide a good start for learning Dutch.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Dummies, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
This series of books are really good - I have Spanish for Dummies and the Italian one too, though after my customary Springtime trip to Holland I was determined to get at least a few words to be polite in this wonderful country. Once you start to understand the pronunciation (and all for Dummies books have the phonetic after each phrase or word) then it is amazing how much you realise you know already. Also has some nice cultural hints and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 Mar. 2010
S. Don (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
I've tried many Dutch language books and this one is by far the best! It's set out in a clear way which makes it easy to follow, what would make it even better is if dummies bought out a workbook for Dutch so you could practice your new language skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK, PITY ABOUT THE EDITING AND PROOF READING, 28 Oct. 2011
Medley Rough (Rochester, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
Dutch For Dummies is generally a very good, useful and interesting book and makes language learning a pleasure. Unfortunately, it is badly let down by extremely sloppy editing and proof reading. There are absolutely loads of examples of this: here's just one. On P198 Cilla Vermeent is speaking to Hans van der Jagt and she asks "Heb je ze nu of zomenteen nodig?" which translates as "Do you need them now or later?" The translation in the book is accurate, but in the pronounciation guide a superfluous "ja" (Yes) has been inserted. The whole book is peppered with such mistakes, most of which are minor but very annoying.

The cultural information and other information about life in the Netherlands is extremely well written, interesting and relevant. However: it's a pity that not even a mention is made of the fact that Dutch is the language of the northern half of Belgium as well as the Netherlands, and at least some info on the Belgian scene as well as the Dutch one, should perhaps have been given. After all, Belgium is well visited by British tourists!

I also found the pronounciation guide accompanying each "Talkin'the Talk" to be very good and useful.

My major criticism of the book is that in some of the "Talkin' the Talk" exercises on the CD Rom, there is an insufficient time-gap for the learner to repeat the words aloud. How on earth can a learner be expected to talk at that speed? (Fortunately, this "insufficient time gap" problem does not occur all the time).

All in all, I would give this book a "thumbs up".

4.0 out of 5 stars Total submersion!, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
The CD is initially a little off-putting because there is very little English on it. But after several listens (and looking at the transcripts in the book), it gets easier and in fact it is nice not having the English there. Book seems well explained and well laid-out. Yet to test my learning out on any native speakers!

5.0 out of 5 stars First impression is that the book is good for complete beginners, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
Quick delivery time and very reasonable pricing. First impression is that the book is good for complete beginners, if you want exercises to do then this is not the right book for you, it's a good easy read for starters

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 5 Jan. 2013
S. Boardman (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this as a supplement to a Rosetta Stone language course as I was getting confused with tenses and other grammatical structures. Not too easy as a stand alone guide but excellent as a support book

Dutch For Dummies
Dutch For Dummies by Margreet Kwakernaak (Paperback - 9 April 2008)