Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2000
The only published book in which SMIL information has been written (or of those I could find). This is a great book for a wide variety of digital multimedia subjects from typography, graphic design, SMIL, html, xml and sound. Written like a college text book, it has broad reach and appears very good for multimedia proffessionals who need info on new technologies but don't speak full-on geek techie (aka those who dont like to learn from white papers or W3C specification lists). And it does exactly what it says it does on the tin...
on 4 October 2000
You might suppose that a book which covers such a wide subject would have to be rather cursory on any particular topic. Well, it could be like that, but it isn't like that. Each chapter (vector graphics, colour, hypertext, animation etc.) is written very carefully, with a wealth of detail.
The format is clear and attractive, with asides and technical passages set in a smaller font which makes it easily digestible, even when describing intricacies - "the following description of character code standards is necessarily somewhat dry", we are warned - actually I liked this bit a lot.
The illustrations are excellent, not only when showing techniques for image manipulation and 3D graphics, but also to help clarify other topics like audio compression, colour management, font selection, synchronised multimedia etc. There's also a lot of good advice on aspects of presentation and style, but delivered gently, with a touch of humour. The book itself shows that the authors know what they are talking about.
When necessary, attention is drawn to the constraints that might limit what can be achieved with current hardware, and to the complexities of the numerous sound and video formats. The section on video standards and compression techniques is very informative here.
I was surprised by how much this book could tell me even in areas that I thought I already knew well. It will be valuable as a course text and also as a reference work.
on 7 February 2011
On recommendation from my lecturers at university, I brought this textbook as general reference to guide me throughout my study. The book has been a worthy companion and I still refer to it from time to time, the authors addresses core principles with regards to communications on a technical level, and the theory and practicalities associated with a range of topics in multimedia, including image/video/media optimisation, compression and graphics rendering. It is broad enough to cover most aspects to do with the Internet, Multimedia and Communications, and therefore I was able to use this textbook throughout the three years of my study. It was also detailed enough to help me with my studies, coursework and exams. Additional to the written chapters, the authors also show coloured illustrations and images which really helps in explaining and demonstrating the theories discussed.
on 11 November 2009
Digital multimedia (third edition) is clear and well-written with excellent illustrations.

The range of topics is impressive, covering vector graphics, video and animation, typography, sound, hypermedia, scripting and more. Each topic is given careful, thorough treatment but presented in an easily digestible format so the reader doesn't get lost in the details. All chapters are illustrated with many helpful examples.

I liked the chapters on visual design, interactivity and accessibility which explain the importance of well-chosen signs, symbols, layout, colours, fonts etc. and how these contribute to understanding (puts me in mind of Edward Tufte).

Each section is usefully summarised by brief "key points" and the book ends with an extensive glossary.

A very readable and informative book. Five stars.
on 8 October 2011
I read the 2000 Edition of this book and found it relatively simple to understand (even though I learned quite a lot of new words mentioned in the text). However you should really pay attention to the text you are reading otherwise you may lose yourself. That's because there are plenty of long texts under a single title and not so many diagrams, pictures or tables.

The old editions are talking about the past technology. Therefore you need to buy the latest version in order to be aware of the latest multimedia technology. Covering all the important concepts of multimedia content such as text, sound, images, video, animation, networks and some of the multimedia authoring tools to make multimedia projects.

I also recommend "Multimedia Making it Work" which has similar content and simple to understand. The design of the book is also very good.

Recommended textbook which gives a foundation knowledge and covers all the essentials within the single textbook in a shortest possible time.

HOWEVER not talking about how to manipulate or extract some information from the given image or video by using programming languages. If you are expected to do that, you need to refer to other books such as Image and Video Processing Using MATLAB, or Multimedia Programming.

Mr. Engin Sicimogullari (MEng Electronic Engineering Student)
on 13 November 2009
This book has really helped me with my studies so far and i have only had it a couple of weeks. It is really detailed, maybe a bit too detailed but i am at uni so this amount of detail is needed i suppose. I recommend this book to anyone doing a practical media related subject.
on 6 November 2009
This book was aquired has a study companion for Internet and Multimedia .
Havent gone through it yet but seems interesting and abranging the various Multimedia questions.
on 17 October 2014
Its a very introductory book, you can get along fine without it. Take down the chapters and research them online...
on 22 January 2015
received in excellent condition
on 11 October 2011
I found this book to be useful as an introduction to digital multimedia concepts but I think it is somewhat basic. It surprises me that it is said to be the most used text book for multimeda classes at university level. I doubt there aren't better choices available.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse